Prospect Info: The first round pick this year: Trade or Keep?

Trade or keep first round pick

• Total voters

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Would love to see us draft one of Cossa or Wallstedt but I don't see it happening so yeah move it out for some real help now.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Everyone knows how much I love the draft, but we should be shopping the pick.

McDavid is 24. We were better this series than the sweep would indicate, but at some point you can't leave it up to McDrai and puck luck anymore. Look at the Avs: MacKinnon has an off-night in Game 3 with 0 points and a -1, but they win 5-1 anyway. Holland needs to build the best team possible for next season. If we're not contenders by then, that's a fail on his part.

Unfortunately I don't have much faith in Holland. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Don't like this draft too much and Oilers have a late pick so if there was ever a time to trade the pick this might be the year. We really need to add another impact player to this roster and parting ways with the 1st rounder might be the best (or only) way to do it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Keep it. We clearly need more young depth. The time to trade first round picks is when we actually have a contending team, and need to add a solid piece at the TD.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Trade it. I think Buffalo will be ripe for the picking. Would be interested in any of the following:

Sam Reinhart
Victor Olofsson
Casey Mittelstadt
Tage Thompson

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It should have been traded at the deadline, and it should be traded at the draft. Next years 1st rounder should also be on the table, as should the 2023 first round pick. Our window to win is the next 4 years, full stop. Everything after those 4 years really doesn't matter much to be honest.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Happy to trade it if it's for a meaningful upgrade to the roster.

I wouldn't just trade it for the sake of needing to make a trade. That's how you end up with another 1st+ for Griffin Reinhart deal imo.

Reactions: ujju2

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Keep it, we are not getting any awesome sauce player for trading our middle of the 1st round draft pick. We also have almost no draft picks because Hollandgenius traded them all away for junk.

Let's look back a year, would you be happy trading holloway for some mid to lousy tier player?

As to the suggestion we should package it with neal or kassian or koskinen or whatever to give to Seattle..... If we did that I would be out as an Oiler fan.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If we can get an impact player back with some term (perhaps by packaging the 1st with other assets) then trade it.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Pretty open question imo. If we're talking 1st for "a Reinhart", nope. 1st for "a Hossa", sure.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Oilers need to do everything to aquire - a powerforward built for playoff games.
And a good shooter leftwinger, who also is good hunting the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad