GDT: The First of July Part II | Wait, we need to run more than two lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I feel bad for Winnik. Saw some vile tweets to him from Pens fans during the playoffs. Not shocked he's not returning. Hope he can get back to playing well for the Leafs.
That's a real shame. There are some disgusting people out there

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Bennett needs to stay healthy before I worry about holding him back at this point. And notice I said bring in someone else to compete for the spot. Basically just replace Kunitz with someone who isn't Kunitz. If Bennett can't take the top 6 spot from whoever we have, too bad. I have no problem with Bennett playing all year on the 3rd line proving he can stay healthy. He can prove to be a top 6 player after that.

Also, I think Lovejoy is less bad than you seem to think. And I seem to trust the kids more than you do. Are there good D-men available? If there are, I'd be ok with it. But I'm not sure that there are.

A better fit with Geno and Kessel? I think so. I also just don't like penciling Bennett it anywhere at this point. How can you be at all confident he'll even be in the line-up at any given point?

That's the good thing about depth. He gets injured you have Plotnik, Dupuis, maybe Kunitz.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Why is Plotnik slotted above Bennett? Do people really think he is a better player?

because bennett is awful on the left side
because the gm has stated that he feels plots would at least be tried with malkin
because the plots is a better fit with malkin style wise if he is slotted with either Kessel or Perron
because given bennett track record in the NHL/injury history plots might be a better player today than bennett is.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's the good thing about depth. He gets injured you have Plotnik, Dupuis, maybe Kunitz.

If you're counting Kunitz there, how does it hurt to replace Kunitz with someone better than Kunitz? I'm not suggesting we sign another 6 million dollar winger.

You still haven't listen anybody we should target on D.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sid/Horny
Geno/Kessel

and 2 spots filled by Perron, Kunitz, Dupuis, Plotnikov or Bennett.
I can dig it so far.

Erz8771

Aug 2, 2007
T.Bay
I feel bad for Winnik. Saw some vile tweets to him from Pens fans during the playoffs. Not shocked he's not returning. Hope he can get back to playing well for the Leafs.

He is what he is. A bottom 6 player. Some people have unrealistic expectations.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Who would you suggest? That's the real problem. If we were doing it, it needed to be Martin or Sekera. Nobody else is available who could fill that top pairing. At least not that we know of.

I'm not a fan of his, but a guy like Cody Franson could be a decent middle pairing guy. Problem with him is you'd ideally want him paired with a safe and sound partner, which I don't really think the Pens have among those who will be on the second or third pairing.

The key, to me, is still getting rid of Scuderi. First off, it clears much needed cap space. Second, it allows Lovejoy to play in a more natural third pairing role along with one of the kids (Pouliot/Dumoulin). If Scuderi is still around, that means either one of the kids sits, or a guy like Lovejoy gets bumped up to the second pairing. Because Scuderi would be a mainstay on the third pairing.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
He is what he is. A bottom 6 player. Some people have unrealistic expectations.

well, I mean, there were people saying, "damn, why can't your mom die like Martin St. Louis', so you could be useful?"

There's expectations, and then there's just hateful, sub-human ****.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
If you're counting Kunitz there, how does it hurt to replace Kunitz with someone better than Kunitz? I'm not suggesting we sign another 6 million dollar winger.

You still haven't listen anybody we should target on D.

I'm saying keep the cap open for help on d. We really don't need anymore money allocated to forward. Let Bennett or Plots prove themselves.

The defense we have now is pretty bad.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not a fan of his, but a guy like Cody Franson could be a decent middle pairing guy. Problem with him is you'd ideally want him paired with a safe and sound partner, which I don't really think the Pens have among those who will be on the second or third pairing.

The key, to me, is still getting rid of Scuderi. First off, it clears much needed cap space. Second, it allows Lovejoy to play in a more natural third pairing role along with one of the kids (Pouliot/Dumoulin). If Scuderi is still around, that means either one of the kids sits, or a guy like Lovejoy gets bumped up to the second pairing. Because Scuderi would be a mainstay on the third pairing.

is Franson worth it at all when we don't need another powerplay guy? Letang or Pouliot will be on the first unit with 4 forwards, and the 2nd unit will be the other of those two with Maatta.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Perron-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett
Dupuis-Sundqvist-Biggs/Farnham/Rust/Wilson

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
Dumoulin-Lovejoy

Fleury
Zatkoff

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm saying keep the cap open for help on d. We really don't need anymore money allocated to forward. Let Bennett or Plots prove themselves.

The defense we have now is pretty bad.

how do you suggest we make the D better? Who can we add that will help it more than just waiting a year?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I really think Kessel should go with Geno. Mainly because I think Sid and Hornqvist are already a pretty damn elite duo, and I just don't think Hornqvist can be nearly as effective with Geno. He plays the perfect game for Sid, so every ounce of his ability is being used.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
because bennett is awful on the left side
because the gm has stated that he feels plots would at least be tried with malkin
because the plots is a better fit with malkin style wise if he is slotted with either Kessel or Perron
because given bennett track record in the NHL/injury history plots might be a better player today than bennett is.

It could also be argued that Plotnikov's a more accomplished professional as well, especially if you factor in the World Cup.

DJ Kariyaaa

Downie Fan Club
Jan 17, 2010
This would go down in history as the best day ever if the Pens could somehow send Scuderi to NJ for a late pick. Helps them inch towards the cap floor, reunites him with Shero, keeps him on the East Coast, and opens up more space for us.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Whelp, looks like we've found this off season's topic to debate ad nauseam ... should Kessel be on Sid's line, or should he be on Geno's. Better than other topics we've beaten to death, though. :laugh:

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
I really think Kessel should go with Geno. Mainly because I think Sid and Hornqvist are already a pretty damn elite duo, and I just don't think Hornqvist can be nearly as effective with Geno.

I don't know man , Sid and Kessel would by dynamite. Anything would be fine but I prefer him with Sid.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't know man , Sid and Kessel would by dynamite. Anything would be fine but I prefer him with Sid.

Kessel will be dynamite regardless. I'm very confident in that. I think he'll be just as good with either. I don't think that's true for Hornqvist. And now you force teams to choose between putting their top guys on Sid, or on Malkin and Kessel.

I mean, I'd try both combinations. But that's how I think it would end up working out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad