THE Fire Torts Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What ever happened to Torts turning Bjorkstrand into a "checker"??

Or let me guess, since he supposedly, "doesn't teach/coach offense", he's not responsible for any positive influence on an offensive players overall offensive game and results...??

Where do Bjorkstrand, Texier, Dubois, Anderson, AND OTHERS fit into the narrative that Torts is bad for young players, whether in regards to "overall" or OFFENSIVE "development"...??

Didn't you complain about Torts not using Bjorkstrand correctly this season too?

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I know Torts just "led" the Jackets to the 2nd round.

He also ran off Duclair; appears to be pointing Dzingel in a similar direction and obviously is not president of the Milano fan club.

He doesn't seem to make adjustments to counter the other teams schemes.

He plays certain guys too much.

He doesn't coach offense.

He can't fix a power play (at least on a permanent basis)

:dunno:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I know Torts just "led" the Jackets to the 2nd round.

He also ran off Duclair; appears to be pointing Dzingel in a similar direction and obviously is not president of the Milano fan club.

He doesn't seem to make adjustments to counter the other teams schemes.

He plays certain guys too much.

He doesn't coach offense.

He can't fix a power play (at least on a permanent basis)

:dunno:

He also has led excellent development of key players (Dubois, Werenski, Nutivaara, Murray to name a few)

Navigated locker room problems beyond his control and made the playoffs when it easily could/should have made a toxic environment and killed the season.

Absolutely no consistent center play until the trade deadline/playoffs. "I have one center playing."

Made the playoffs 3 straight years while leading the franchise to its most successful regular and post season runs in its history.

Was behind the bench for the biggest first round upset in NHL history in a sweep.

Did so without 3 of its regular defenseman.

There will be a time and place for Torts' firing, and it might be during next season or after next season, it isn't going to be pretty, but that time isn't right now. Torts has my full support.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He also has led excellent development of key players (Dubois, Werenski, Nutivaara, Murray to name a few)

Navigated locker room problems beyond his control and made the playoffs when it easily could/should have made a toxic environment and killed the season.

Absolutely no consistent center play until the trade deadline/playoffs. "I have one center playing."

Made the playoffs 3 straight years while leading the franchise to its most successful regular and post season runs in its history.

Was behind the bench for the biggest first round upset in NHL history in a sweep.

Did so without 3 of its regular defenseman.

There will be a time and place for Torts' firing, and it might be during next season or after next season, it isn't going to be pretty, but that time isn't right now. Torts has my full support.

100%

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He's coming back. No way does he get canned after the end of the season rally and post season Tampa miracle.

Next season is next season. If the team falters early, then he's got a very good chance to be Jarmo's fall guy.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
He's coming back. No way does he get canned after the end of the season rally and post season Tampa miracle.

Next season is next season. If the team falters early, then he's got a very good chance to be Jarmo's fall guy.

I doubt he will get fired, even if the start is disastrous. His reasoning could be that its a very different team, possibly without a stable goalie and more. Only a complete disaster would make Jarmo fire Torts and almost certainly not during the first few months.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I doubt he will get fired, even if the start is disastrous. His reasoning could be that its a very different team, possibly without a stable goalie and more. Only a complete disaster would make Jarmo fire Torts and almost certainly not during the first few months.
You're probably right. But I wouldn't say that Tort's gets a full year if things go badly.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
When it happens it'll just be that his effectiveness with this group is kaput.

I think it's nearer rather than farther away.
1, maybe 2 seasons...

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If Boston wins the Cup Tort will be on thin ice (literally and figuratively) as if the Jackets lose to the eventual Cup winners for the 4th year in a row he will be canned.
Actually that bolsters his position as it speaks to the strength of their opponent and leaves you wondering "what if".....certainly much better than losing 4 times to teams that lost in the next round.

I would add that this was the first year I thought they had the team to win it all and a Toronto-CBJ series might have seen us playing the Blues on TV instead of Boston.

Reactions: thebus88

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
If Boston wins the Cup Tort will be on thin ice (literally and figuratively) as if the Jackets lose to the eventual Cup winners for the 4th year in a row he will be canned.

1. If Boston wins it will be three years in a row, not four.

2. Even if they had beaten the Pens, Caps or Bruins (in theory), it doesn't necessarily mean that they would have advanced again after that round (although I think they would have done it this year).

If you are insinuating that the Jackets lost to the Caps and Bruins because he wouldn't roll four lines then I could see your argument. That said he's going nowhere this offseason.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The existence of this entire thread is ridiculous. It's a living testament to the laziness of the average sports fan.
Not really . We’ve had a very good team. I would argue the 2nd best in the east this season . And we have 1 playoff victory to show for it .

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't know why some CBJ fans make a big deal out of this. I feel the same way about my team whether we lose to the eventual champs or to a team that gets knocked out in the 2nd round.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Not really . We’ve had a very good team. I would argue the 2nd best in the east this season . And we have 1 playoff victory to show for it .

You would argue anything if you thought it supported your anti-Torts agenda.

6 playoff victories, btw. The team that knocked them out is currently 3 wins away from a Cup.

Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
You would argue anything if you thought it supported your anti-Torts agenda.

6 playoff victories, btw. The team that knocked them out is currently 3 wins away from a Cup.
To Bread Man's narrow point, I tend to agree we were the second best team in the East once we beat TB. Unfortunately we played Boston which was THE best team period. For me that has nothing to do with Torts per se; it's just how it lined up.

jaxfan45385

Oct 29, 2007
After last night I would like to point out the obvious that Torts style of hockey is out dated and it’s time for him to go.

Let’s go back 4 years around the December\January time frame, PIT was in month ¾ of the Paul Martin era. They were last in the Metro. Martin incorporated a similar style of hockey as Tortz, dump and chase, play for the hit, perimeter board battle, etc. PIT fired Martin around the new year and hired some guy named Sullivan. He implemented an offensive puck controlling style of hockey, today’s kind of hockey. What happen? They went on to win 2 cups.

Fast forward to this season. The Blues hired some retread name Mike Yo. What style of hockey did he incorporate? Yup very similar to Tortz. The result was the Blues were LAST in the NHL. They fired him and hired Craig Berube. Just like Sullivan he switched to a offensive style of hockey. The results? The Blues had the best record in the NHL since Jan 1 and they won something called the Stanley Cup.

You guys can defend Torts all you want, how he did this and done that. Oh but we swept Tampa! Outlier, blind squirrel. At the end of the day we will not be a cup contender as long as he is here. Offensive talented guys will be stifled being force to play his outdated style of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad