The Finals

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Is anybody else playing this F2P shooter?

I'm gonna be honest, I hopped in on a whim cause a friend invited me to check it out with him, and I figured 'what the hell, it's free' and didn't expect much.

This might be the best pure PVP shooter on the market right now. I'm blown away by how polished it feels and how much damn fun it is.

The conceit isn't particularly original. You're in a Smash TV style future gameshow where people kill each other for the entertainment of a sick public. That said, the game really leans into this in a fun way with team introductions, the announcer soundbites that let you know about key events taking place, all the way to enemies exploding into a burst of coins in certain modes. Imagine Mirror's Edge in Vegas, and you've got a decent idea of the visual style and vibe.

The start of the show is the environmental destruction which is, without question, the fullest and most impactful implementation of environmental damage, EVER. Any wall, ceiling, or structure, takes damage and crumbles to the ground in a realistic manner based on where you hit it. The first time you take out a ceiling to drop an objective down to your own floor to grab will blow your mind. It's obviously entertaining, but the map layouts make taking out pieces of structure tactically viable and advantageous. Plus, damage applies to everything, you take a running leap at a window, and you're going through it. Doesn't matter where the window is, how big it is, anytime you catch yourself thinking 'surely they won't let me break through here, that would break the map flow' and then you do it without issue.

The actual feel of the shooting is essentially exactly like Battlefield. The game is made by a studio of ex-DICE people. I feel like most weapons feel better from further away than they should, and feel finicky up close. You get used to it. There are also a ton of gadgets like foam grenades, deployable jump pads, etc that help you navigate and reform the environment to your liking if you're trying to hold a position down. Using any of them in the heat of battle is a bit of a pain on controller since it uses a radial menu, while PC players can just hotkey whatever they like, but I've played exclusively on XSX and have never felt like anybody I was in a battle against did anything I couldn't have, had I thought to do it.

My biggest complaint is the grind. Good lord it takes incredible performances or a lot of 'pretty good' matches to move through the battle pass or unlock new gear for the three classes of player. I'd like to see that made a bit more lenient, but it's honestly a small complaint since Im playing more for fun than any of the gaudy unlockable cosmetics.

I recommend anybody take some time to try it out.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

HomelessPepper

Jul 1, 2019
I tried out the open beta a while back, as I was really interested in it, but was very underwhelmed. The gun play sucked and I didn't care for the game mode.

Sep 19, 2008
it's decent I will say I'm starting to get frustrated by the gun play

we did finish first last night which had me hooting and hollering. if you have good team work you can get the 20k cash out.

made a light and heavy yesterday. usually only play medium

Reactions: JaegerDice
Sep 19, 2008
The inaccuracy of these guns is really starting to piss me off. I've been experimenting with the default gun, the other assault rifle, the grenade launcher and the shotgun and all are wildly inaccurate, the most efficient one is the default one and even that won't kill somebody. So all 3 of us are guarding the cashout, go through all that effort, and end up losing and finishg 2nd place because the other team stormed the cashout, blew it up, took it down, and wiped everyone on the team, changed the cashout color, and won 2-0. Very stressful game to play. Most frustrating thing was having the same assault rifle as my opponent but they dealt 200 damage and I dealt 136. How is that possible?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad