Line Combos: The Extremely Early Round 1 Line Predictions Thread TOR/BOS

HeresJOHNNY

Jul 5, 2010
With the regulation loss to TB the other night. Looking more and more likely we will be playing in Boston for game one. That being said the way you beat the Bruins is with speed and I think the big 3 need to be kept separated so we avoid the Bergeron Matthews nightmare matchup in Beantown.

JVR Matthews Hyman - Line 1
Basically giving Matthew's a net front presence to feed when he's not getting wristers off himself. Hyman has looked great on RW in a small sample size. I feel like this line could give the B's fits down low so a dump and chase would work as well. Have fun Bergeron.

Marleau Kadri Marner - Line 2
They have been our best line for the past few months. Speed and more speed, no explanation really needed.

Komarov Nylander Kapanen- Line 3
Keeping Nylander at centre and putting Kapanen on his wing I think the Bruins 3rd line would not be able to keep up. They already do have chemistry together from their Marlies days and I think Uncle Leo could pot a few timely goals riding shotgun to them.

Pleks/Bozak Brown- Line 4
Pleks/Bozie rotating on strong side draws like Matthews and Nylander do on the PP. Obviously this line could provide some energy and not look out of place defensively. Rotating Johnsson in if either Pleks or Bozak struggle on the wing.

Gardiner Rielly - D Pair 1
Boston will be looking to establish a forecheck early on. Putting our two best puck retrieval defenseman together would help minimize the heavy pressure and also set up some quick breakouts.

Dermott Zaitsev- D Pair 2
Z has been having a tough season and needs to get back to basics. I think he benefits from having a high flying responsible rookie next to him. Babcock stresses the stay at home portion of Zaitsev's game and i think he gains some confidence back.

Hainsey Polak- D Pair 3
Let's face it. We are in trouble here any way you slice it lol. Polak was playing his best hockey of his career against the Caps last season until the injury. He has looked better the last few games though. Hainsey needs to have his minutes reduced and I think this can be a decent reliable sheltered 3rd pairing. Carrick gets in second round against a less heavy team.

Goalies- Andy and Mac: No explanation needed.

Let's see your combos. Sorry mods if this is a bit premature lol.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Go with what was working.

Zach Hyman-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Connor Brown
Andreas Johnsson-Tomas Plekanec-Kasperi Kapanen

Put in Komarov or Martin for Johnsson if they're available and needed.

Reactions: Marner

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They can just as likely face Tampa and they aren't going to change the lines much from the season if at all.

Reactions: White Shadow

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
There is absolutely no way in hell Babcock would do that much line shuffling. It took the guy over half the freaking season to move Komarov out of the top-9 and you think he's going to do a full face change?

Even if we score 0 goals in the first 3 games he's not changing anything, book it.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Won't happen but I'd like to see the top 4 switched up and Leo in for Plekanec

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Bozak Brown
Johnsson Komarov Kapanen

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hainsey
Dermott Polak

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
There is absolutely no way in hell Babcock would do that much line shuffling. It took the guy over half the freaking season to move Komarov out of the top-9 and you think he's going to do a full face change?

Even if we score 0 goals in the first 3 games he's not changing anything, book it.

If we score 0 goals in the first 3 games I'm sure he'll send Nylander to the fourth line and replace him with Komarov. Nylander is his whipping boy and Komarov is his hero (after Hyman).

Reactions: IPS

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Go with what was working.

Zach Hyman-Auston Matthews-William Nylander
Patrick Marleau-Nazem Kadri-Mitch Marner
James van Riemsdyk-Tyler Bozak-Connor Brown
Andreas Johnsson-Tomas Plekanec-Kasperi Kapanen

Put in Komarov or Martin for Johnsson if they're available and needed.

I agree but Babs will never sit Komarov

Reactions: iSophagus

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Bozak Brown
Komarov Plakenic Kapanen

Reilly Hainsey
Gardner Zaitsev
Dermott Polak

PP
Marleau Kadri Marner
Reilly Zaitsev

JVR Matthews Nylander
Garnder Dermott

PK
Bozak Brown
Reilly Hainsey

Plakenic Komarov
Dermott Polak

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
has JVR - Matthews - Hyman ever been a thing? I don't remember any game where that was a line... and now it's playoff time so you shuffle it all up and move Hyman to RW?

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Bozak Brown
Komarov Plakenic Kapanen

Reilly Hainsey
Gardner Zaitsev
Dermott Polak

PP
Marleau Kadri Marner
Reilly Zaitsev

JVR Matthews Nylander
Garnder Dermott

PK
Bozak Brown
Reilly Hainsey

Plakenic Komarov
Dermott Polak
Can’t see splitting Marner and jvr up on the PP. they have been unstoppable lately

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
How about we continue with what's been working thus far?
Crazy thought.
If we hit a wall, then yes, the blender comes out.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
if it was up to me (which, after reading this, you'll all wish it was) I'd do:
Hyman- Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Brown
Johnsson - Plekanec - Bozak
Komarov
Leivo
Martin

Rielly - Gardiner
Dermott - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Carrick

Andersen

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If we were going to go JvR with Matthews, you'd think he would have given him a few reps in the regular season.

Not going to happen.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JvR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Pleckanec- Kapanen

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Polak
Dermott - Carrick/ Zeitsev

Andersen

Is pretty close to a lock

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Johnsson - Plekanec - Kapanen

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen

PP/PK units as normal. Carrick over Polak because he and Dermott have been an excellent pairing, although Zaitsev has been so bad in 2018 you could make the case for Polak over him. Komarov has dragged down pretty much every line he's been on, I don't think he has it any more and Johnsson and Kapanen can both be trusted in any situation. This also gives up 4 lines that can score, than 4th line has the potential to be amazing in both ends in Plekanec wakes up.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Stick with what we've got. Assuming we play the Bruins, our offensive depth will tear them to shreds (at least it should on paper). Defensively they might have a slight edge, and they play a well structured game, but they have a lot of guys that we can expose with our speed. Really not worried about the Bruins in the slightest, I'd take our odds against them to Vegas

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You keep Matthews line away from Bergeron at home and hope that secondary scoring picks up the slack in Boston. Any points Auston and Willy put up in Boston is gravy

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
it will be the same lines we have been watching down the stretch. maybe some minor changes on the 4th line bottom d pairing

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Kapanen/Johnsson
Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen/Johnsson

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Polak

Would be my lines but I doubt Moore gets waived. I’d also cut Zaitsevs minutes ala Carrick last year if he shows he can’t figure it out (AKA like this entire year)

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
I think after the the Bergeron Matthews matchup all the other matchups are in our favour. Kadri line has been awsome since the addition of Marner. Jvr is heating up at the perfect time and the fourth line has a lot of speed kapanen creates a lot of offence while at same time that line is good defensively. I have no problem with the way Babcock has the lines set up makes us a deep team through 4 lines. Everyone talks about the leafs being scared of Boston I think Boston should be scared to play Toronto

Reactions: White Shadow

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Our forwards are so much deeper this year. A 7 game series is a chess match.

I can't wait to see how these teams try to exploit and counter the other teams weaknesses and strengths.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hyman Matthews Nylander
JVR Bozak Brown
Marleau Kadri Marner
Komarov Plekanec Kapanen

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Polak

Andersen

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If everyone is healthy, It only really comes down to Komarov vs Johnsson, and Polak vs Carrick. I think with the playoffs you'll see the heavier choice between them. I would be shocked if Babcock scratched a healthy Komarov in the playoffs. Polak is trending up because of his PK work. Both players are important in that role. Both players lay out a huge number of hits as well. Johnsson is a good story, talented, but he will be depth for injuries these playoffs. His time is next year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad