The Experts top-15?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YKOil

Apr 7, 2004
Had this on the Oiler boards and figured I would bring it over here for comment.

Went through 5 different draft ranking publications, where I could get the info free anyways, and found that most of them have the top-15 listed. List of publications:

McKeen's
Redline
ISS
CSS
THN

Took those lists, assigned point values - 1st pick was worth 15 and the 15th was worth 1 (etc.) - and added up the points to create an aggregate score. Had to fiddle with CSS to make it work and needed someone to send me the Redline list of #11-15 (my thanks to them) but it wasn't too problematic.

The following is where players would place in the top-15 given the aggregate (the number in brackets represents the number of lists that player showed up on):

01 - 75 pts. - C - Ovechkin (5)
02 - 70 pts. - C - Malkin (5)
03 - 59 pts. - D - Barker (5)
04 - 54 pts. - F - Tukonen (5)
05 - 50 pts. - C - Olesz (5)
06 - 49 pts. - F - Ladd (5)
07 - 40 pts. - G - Schwarz (5)
08 - 32 pts. - G - Montoya (5)
09 - 26 pts. - F - Radulov (4)
10 - 24 pts. - C - Schremp (3)
11 - 22 pts. - F - Picard (3)
12 - 20 pts. - F - Stafford (4)
13 - 18 pts. - F - Wolski (5)
14 - 17 pts. - D - Meszaros (3)
15 - 12 pts. - D - Thelen (3)
---
** - 09 pts. - D - Smid (2)
** - 07 pts. - C - Chipchura (3)
** - 06 pts. - F - Korpikoski (1)
** - 05 pts. - D - Valabik (2)
** - 03 pts. - F - Bolland (1)
** - 01 pts. - F - Frannson (1)
** - 01 pts. - C - Lisin (1)

** Not enough points generated to make the top-15.

Just another way of looking at it. Would be a better exercise if CSS would ever combine their lists.

Several players got most of their points from a single list:

-- Radulov got 12 from Redline
-- Meszaros got 12 from ISS
-- Schremp got 11 from ISS
-- Picard got 10 from CSS

Redline was the only list to feature Korpikoski, Bolland and Lisin in the top-15.

YKOil

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Another list to look at...

At the end of the day, it's always the same names coming back in some order or another. We all know them and all that matters is how the teams see them and what their needs are.

jacketracket*

I saw this on the Oil forum, and thought it was interesting. I was really surprised to see that only 8 players managed to make all 5 lists.

Does seem to say something about the depth of this draft, beyond the first 3-4 picks, IMO.

jt2004

Apr 18, 2004
That really gives great insight to all the different publications :handclap:

This draft is really unique, I read Tom Thompson Asst GM of the Wild who said we're picking 12th and were looking at any one of 18 different players and I doubt he was including Ovechkin, Malkin or Barker who will all be gone.

StanleyCH25

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
jacketracket said:
I saw this on the Oil forum, and thought it was interesting. I was really surprised to see that only 8 players managed to make all 5 lists.

Does seem to say something about the depth of this draft, beyond the first 3-4 picks, IMO.

If anything, it says that beyond the first 3 or 4 players, no one knows what is going to happen. Not sure if it says anything about the depth of this draft as most have agreed there isn't much talent to pick from beyond the top 10 to 15. Might be a couple of dark horses and sleepers but that's mostly it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad