TV: The Expanse Season 4

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
This one has been out for a while.

These are the sounds of Eros remixed by the Belter electronic scene.

A million and a half souls writing one song in unison.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There are 8 books out atm, with 8 novellas that are set in between the various books. The 9th, and final, book in the series is set to be released sometime in 2020. If there is one thing to know about Dan and Ty, it's that they release they're solid for their release schedules. There have been a number of hickups, such as Tiamat's Wrath, book 8 in the series, being delayed from December '18 to March-April of 2019.

The is also taking quite a bit from the novellas. Season 4 took from Gods of Risk, a novellas centering around Bobby on Mars. I expect there to see parts of The Churn to be incorporated in to season 5.

One thing they're lacking that's held me back is an ebook version, as I'm pretty reliant on my kindle these days. Hoping once the print series is finished they'll just have a box set or something to make it easy.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
One thing they're lacking that's held me back is an ebook version, as I'm pretty reliant on my kindle these days. Hoping once the print series is finished they'll just have a box set or something to make it easy.

All of them are in Ebook and Audio book form

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
When I think "hard", I think Alistair Reynolds. But I guess they are "harder" than a lot of what is produced out there.

Personally I read Alistair Reynolds as a teenager and found those ones boring as hell. My favourite author of all-time is Stephen Baxter. I consider that the pinnacle of "hard" sci-fi. While much of his stuff is far future, it is all based in mathematics and physics. Xeelee Sequence and Manifold Trilogy are among my favourite books of all time. He's since moved into alot of alternate history type of stuff, but my favourites remain the Sci-Fi.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Personally I read Alistair Reynolds as a teenager and found those ones boring as hell. My favourite author of all-time is Stephen Baxter. I consider that the pinnacle of "hard" sci-fi. While much of his stuff is far future, it is all based in mathematics and physics. Xeelee Sequence and Manifold Trilogy are among my favourite books of all time. He's since moved into alot of alternate history type of stuff, but my favourites remain the Sci-Fi.

I’ll give him a shot.

I would give the last two Revelation Space novels about Prefect Dreyfus a shot though. Less dry than the original novels.

They take place before the Melding Plague during the golden age of Yellowstone.

Reactions: Chainshot

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
One of the best Tv series ever, and perhaps the best sci fi series. What makes it great for me, is along with the grand plots, there is the attention to detail which makes the Expanse universe believable and immersive. I know it's not possible to completely get the science right, but there is an attempt made to keep things believable. A big plus is that they take time to show what life is like in the year 2350...do people still brush their teeth with toothbrushes i wanna know these things. Just hope they learn from GoT and avoid the same missteps. If they are progressing faster than source materal, slow down, flesh out characters and the universe with some tangential short plots that don't interfere with the books when they come out.

Well on advantage the expanse has is that they have zero hope of surpassing the source material. The final book is already fairly close to be released and the series is nowhere close to catching up.

Also thus far I have been very happy with the pace they've gone at. I haven't yet watched the 4th season, but through the first 3 they made good pace. Season 1 didn't cover all of Book 1, Season 2 was end of Book 1 plus first half/two-thirds of Book 2. I have no problem with them skimming through books 3 and if they do in Season 4 skimming through book 4.

In Book 3 it's mostly about Clarissa's story which is a decent story but they spend far too much time on it. It's all just about the whole long journey out the ring. It adds some realism, but understandably is a little slow for TV. I wished they'd spend a bit more time establishing Clarissa's relationship to her supervisor who she killed, but it's not super important to the plot line. With her grief I think they get the point across. Much of the plot involving the Minister and her rich friend is completely irrelevant and is fine to be cut down.

Going forward in Season 4, which again I have not seen yet, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut out some of the Book 4. Honestly Book 4 might have been my least favourite in the whole series. The whole exploration of who "owned rights" to a new planet aspect was interesting but not truly explored since the entire book was spent on the planet, not dealing with the politics. The whole ancient civilization who built the rings aspect was interesting but ultimately unfilling since they answered exactly zero questions about the ring builders. It was still a solid book, but didn't really pay off in any real way as of book 7. So I wouldn't be upset if they combined Book 4 and first half of book 5 in Season 4. It's only in the second half of the Book 5, IMO, that the series really refinds it's strides with the bombardment of Earth. Then everything hits hard and fast making for a great continuation of what was built in the first 2.5 books

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
All of them are in Ebook and Audio book form

Oh that's funny, I thought I looked on amazon and didn't see it for kindle, but there it is now. Maybe it was the price point that turned me off, don't like paying $13 for an old book when I could get it used for $5 or free from the library.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
I lost interest after Miller died. I hoped he would rescure Julie and she would gain bionic powers or somithing like that. I even liked miller's cop partner in s1. She showed some emotional connection to him. I like the quality of the show/support actors but I can't stand the main cast. Bunch of hipsters doing Sci-fi idle acting.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I lost interest after Miller died. I hoped he would rescure Julie and she would gain bionic powers or somithing like that. I even liked miller's cop partner in s1. She showed some emotional connection to him. I like the quality of the show/support actors but I can't stand the main cast. Bunch of hipsters doing Sci-fi idle acting.
Brutal opinion.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finished it last night (I didn't want to rush it, but I'm traveling for Christmas today). I quite liked it. I really liked the new setting, the colony. That made the season very fresh, since it's so different from past seasons, yet it still very much felt like The Expanse. The production values were very good.
I also liked how the villain didn't always seem so much like a villain. They occasionally teased him becoming "good" or at least "neutral" guy before making him go evil again.
On the more negative side, a lot of the acting wasn't that good, but I've come to expect that after 3 seasons, so it didn't bother me too much. Also, the ending was a little anticlimactic, ending on a cliffhanger that didn't seem all that strong.

Anyways, I really enjoyed it. It was one of the better seasons, IMO.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
I finished it last night (I didn't want to rush it, but I'm traveling for Christmas today). I quite liked it. I really liked the new setting, the colony. That made the season very fresh, since it's so different from past seasons, yet it still very much felt like The Expanse. The production values were very good.
I also liked how the villain didn't always seem so much like a villain. They occasionally teased him becoming "good" or at least "neutral" guy before making him go evil again.
On the more negative side, a lot of the acting wasn't that good, but I've come to expect that after 3 seasons, so it didn't bother me too much. Also, the ending was a little anticlimactic, ending on a cliffhanger that didn't seem all that strong.

Anyways, I really enjoyed it. It was one of the better seasons, IMO.

I actually didn't like the set this season. Felt like a TV-TV series, know what I mean? It didn't have that space opera feel to it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Up through episode 5, enjoying it so far. We will probably knock off 6 and 7 tonight before I drop my kids off at my ex’s. She then had to catch up to keep watching with them... :biglaugh:

Reactions: NyQuil

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So I finished all 10 episodes, great season overall. A lot of setup for the new story arc of course, but I expected that with season 3 concluding the last arc more or less.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So I finished all 10 episodes, great season overall. A lot of setup for the new story arc of course, but I expected that with season 3 concluding the last arc more or less.

That's basically what book 4 is. Theres supposed to be 9 books (8 released so far) and thus far the 3 books can be broken up into 3 separate trilogies almost it seems. Books 1-3 part 1, which series covered in the first 3 seasons. Book 4-6 form part 2 and Book 7-9 (assuming they do finish it in 9 books as planned) would be part 3. Book 4 and 7 have alot of setup and almost feel like the start of new trilogies.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Leviathan Wakes, Calibans War and Abbadons Gate make up a trilogy, more or less.

Cibola Burn is sorta on its own, but it sets up what happens in Persepolis Rising and Tiamats Wrath. There are also a ton of underlying issues in the story that build up what happens in NG and BA.

Nemesis Games and Babylons Ashes make up a back to back series, but there are a royal shit ton of underlying issues in the story that sets up what happens in Persepolis and Tiamats Wrath.

Persepolis Rising and Tiamats Wrath is the next chapter in the series. The next, and final book, will likely follow up on the heels of Tiamats Wrath.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Love this show! Really enjoy the spaceship architecture and space battles, which don't happen too often but when it does, I like it.

However no matter how much I enjoy and like the show, I have accepted that the characters just aren't very interesting or have that much depth in them. I'm not really one to watch a lot of shows or movies so I'm hardly an expert here, but I find it really hard to become interested in these characters.

Some of it is acting, some how they are written, some is dialogue and combinations of each. In shows like BSG and GoT for example I really learned to care about the characters. However with The Expanse, I don't really. Some actors don't feel like the fit the character. I don't really know how to explain this, but watching the show I notice that I'm mainly in it for the plot and of course my beloved space scenes.

With all that said, I still love the show and wish more people knew about it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Least favorite season of the 4 so far. Mostly, the storylines were just not as compelling.

That being said, it does seem fairly clear it’s more of a beginning than anything, so I’m not upset about it or anything.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Looks like the Expanse had their Season 5 wrap party

Here are some pics that may show some of what is to come

84541133_10157056916545197_8798588595775471616_o.jpg

The guy with Naomi is Jose Zuniga. Many have speculated that he is Duarte

84404430_10158110222122769_8491531655683506176_o.jpg

Looks like they've started aging up the crew, judging by middle aged Holden here

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Just finished season 4 today. One of my favourite shows around, scratches that sci-fi itch for sure. Haven’t read the books yet, would you guys recommend them, or even the audiobooks? I’ve owned Leviathan Wakes since 2016 but never got around to reading it.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Just finished season 4 today. One of my favourite shows around, scratches that sci-fi itch for sure. Haven’t read the books yet, would you guys recommend them, or even the audiobooks? I’ve owned Leviathan Wakes since 2016 but never got around to reading it.

You're missing out on some amazing hard sci fi if you haven't read/listened to the books.

FYI, Jefferson Mays, the narrator of the audio books, makes the experience of listening to the audio books something stellar.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
You're missing out on some amazing hard sci fi if you haven't read/listened to the books.

FYI, Jefferson Mays, the narrator of the audio books, makes the experience of listening to the audio books something stellar.

Gonna check em out then! I’ve always felt like I’m cheating when listening to an audiobook instead of reading

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad