The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
What a couple minutes. Ayew penalty saved and an outrageous straight red to Brentford.

Don't really want Brentford to go up so there's a free run at Benrahma, but that sucks.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Great finish by Ayew, deserved lead for Swansea, red card was harsh for Brentford earlier but since that they have done nothing

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Referee completely bottled that red card decision. Not even a foul and has put Brentford on the back foot.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They’ve been pretty comfortably in control all throughout this one.

And that was without Mitrovic too. Barring a huge collapse in the next game I think we can pencil in Fulham. I think facing Brentford would be a more interesting matchup given how potent the offenses are but I'm left wondering if Brentford is even gonna get there. I'm telling ya. It's like watching Tampa with a 3-2 series lead. The offense can't score in a brothel with a 2 grand in their pocket.

Nottingham Forest fans can feel vindicated in a Swansea advance and watching the Bee's pull an all time bottle job. At least Forest lost on GD. This is 3 games now Brentford have soiled themselves

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Fulham's record without Mitrovic in league and playoff games this season is now: played seven, won six, drawn one.

Oddly, their defensive record improves notably when he doesn't play - a mere two goals conceded in those seven games.
Interesting

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Fulham's record without Mitrovic in league and playoff games this season is now: played seven, won six, drawn one.

Oddly, their defensive record improves notably when he doesn't play - a mere two goals conceded in those seven games.

Wow! I honestly had no idea. Given how much offense Mitrovic supplies Fulham at such a disproportionate rate to the rest of the club, it makes sense to me that they would concede only 2 goals en route to winning that many games. You basically win 1-0 or nothing in his absence because you're not so likely to get that 2nd goal. So theoretically, you're not gonna see many goals given up and 2 definitely sounds right given 6 wins and a draw. But that's still really damn impressive to win that much without a player who is that important. Given the aggregate and their success without him, Fulham could still conceivably give him the next game off.

Talk about putting yourself in the best possible position

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Wow! I honestly had no idea. Given how much offense Mitrovic supplies Fulham at such a disproportionate rate to the rest of the club, it makes sense to me that they would concede only 2 goals en route to winning that many games. You basically win 1-0 or nothing in his absence because you're not so likely to get that 2nd goal. So theoretically, you're not gonna see many goals given up and 2 definitely sounds right given 6 wins and a draw. But that's still really damn impressive to win that much without a player who is that important. Given the aggregate and their success without him, Fulham could still conceivably give him the next game off.

Talk about putting yourself in the best possible position

It's a stat I came across by pure accident.

In the 40 league games where Mitrovic did feature, they conceded 46 goals and kept 13 clean sheets , so the improvement is notable. (Brentford, Leeds and West Brom all averaged under 1 goal against per game across the full season).

Naturally, the small sample size limits how much should be read into the numbers. Several teams scored more goals than Fulham despite Mitrovic finishing as the division's top scorer, so without him, likely the club would have missed the playoffs altogether.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Brentford holds on for dear life at the end and wins 3-1, 3-2 on aggregate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad