The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Watched the top two League One teams (Portsmouth and Barnsley) in action, both recording one goal wins. Good positive gameplans for both, more direct style than at higher levels, but quite good quality and some skill nevertheless. Especially going forward, defensive organisation seemed the biggest problem area.

Barnsley forward Mamadou Thiam (former Dijon player and Senegal U-20 international) scored with a great strike into the top corner.

From the losing sides, it was interesting to catch a glimpse of Kazenga LuaLua, former Newcastle youth star (now playing for Luton), to beat his marker with good turn of pace and deliver a fierce cross/shot into the post (Luton scored from the rebound).

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Portsmouth with another win away, this time against AFC Wilmbeldon.

Very impressed with the start to the season... Really hoping it continues.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Haringey Borough FA Cup money will be 'life-changing'

Friday’s FA Cup first-round against AFC Wimbledon will be “life-changing” for Haringey Borough, according to the club’s chairman, Aki Achillea.

Part-timers Boro, who play in English football’s seventh tier, stand to earn more than £100,000 from their first-ever match in the FA Cup proper. They have already landed £57,890 in FA prize money, including £25,000 for winning the last qualifying-round, while both clubs will receive £75,000 from the BBC for televising the fixture.

Achillea’s priority is to give back to the community. “I want to ensure we don’t only provide for the elite,” he said. “I’ve been speaking about putting on coaching sessions for various age groups, regardless of ability and gender. There will be an academy, but we’ll make sure it’s all inclusive. We’re an impoverished borough — one of the most impoverished in the country. Our kids will never pay to play at Haringey.”

The money will also be used to continue the club’s free season ticket, introduced three years ago, for a further season or two, and Achillea hopes the exposure will take him a step closer to the vision he had for the club when he took charge in 2004.

“My dream has always been to get the local youth to aspire to play for Haringey Borough,” he said. “We have Spurs down the road, but the majority of young kids are not going to make it there. That’s always been my focus, it’s what kept me going through those darker days. Now, with the national exposure from the BBC, everyone will have heard of us. I know the future is fantastic now because we’ve been set up financially.”

Reactions: Chimaera

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Saw a stat this morning that fifth division Chesterfield FC have gone on there worst run with out a win in 18 games which is their orst run ever, however with in this they have also drawn the last 8 games which is their record unbeaten run...Wild stuff :laugh:

kg458

Capstronaut
Jan 31, 2008
Boston
Going to watch the Leeds match at Elland Road this afternoon. Excited, but wish we had been here a few day earlier to see the two stoppage time goals to take the lead when they played Blackburn!

Catching Villa at Villa park in a few days as well, which should be entertaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Crazy game in Norwich who were winning 3:2 with 10 minutes to play but then the power went off in the stadium, when the game resumed, Derby scored two late goals to steal the win :D Norwich failed to capitalize on Leeds' loss

Reactions: les Habs

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Portsmouth with a gutsy come from behind win, though they were up a man.

Hoping they add a striker in the transfer window... But they're looking like a real possibility to move up.

Would love to see Southampton relegated to have a South Coast Derby next year! It's been far too long.

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Sheffield gain ground on automatic promotion as both Leeds and Norwich drop points. Now only 4 points between first and third.
I'd love to see Sheffield gain promotion ...doesn't seem right not having a Sheffield team in the top tier to me . Also got no probs seeing Leeds make it up ...they served their time being advantaged by owner s .. good luck

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Bielsa dealing with this might actually be interesting, mainly because I can see him sat in a press conference saying "so f***?" whenever he's questioned on it.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Actually, the Leeds club statement itself has hilarity in abundance:

Following comments made by Marcelo Bielsa yesterday the club will look to work with our head coach and his staff to remind them of the integrity and honesty which are the foundations that Leeds United is built on.
Our owner Andrea Radrizzani has met with Derby County’s owner Mel Morris to formally apologise for Marcelo’s actions.
We will make no further comment on this matter.

"integrity and honesty"

"Leeds United is built on"

titter.png
titter.png
titter.png
titter.png
titter.png

Reactions: Stray Wasp and GB

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Bielsa called a press conference. May be resigning due to spygate

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Rofl Bielsa's press conference today

Legendary

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Biela is a genius.
Did I spy on one team? Nope, I spied on all of them.

Leeds back to exciting football. Character, offensive, everything you love as a football fan.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
"We do all these hours of tactical preparation and rival insight (look at our powerpoint!)...but also we send a guy with a clipboard to watch every club train because of 'anxiety'".

lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad