The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Huseklepp goes on loan to Birmingham from Portsmouth for the rest of the season...

Pompey in an unfortunate position of needing to shed salary, but they also need to try and stay above the drop zone.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Jonjo Shelvey's going to Middlesbrough on loan. That's going to be a big boost for them, before being called back from Blackpool he was playing very well in the Championship. Now in line with my earlier comments on the topic of Middlesbrough, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
The bad news from the Championship: West Ham are unbeaten in seven games.

The good news: that run includes four straight home draws. Now the 'ammers are second, behind Southampton and level on points with Reading. Their next two games are Leeds away and Boro (4th) at home. Like Richard Gere at the Oscars, I entreat you all telepathically to send thoughts to David and David at West Ham; may your message be "panic sacking, panic sacking." Brighton and Cardiff fill out the other play-off spots. Birmingham, Blackpool, Hull and Leeds are not out of it yet.

At the bottom, Portsmouth are last, having had the stuffing knocked out of them by administration. The same event seems to have given the previously nosediving Forest the will to live; following a decent run they are now in the dizzy heights of 20th, above Bristol City, Coventry (who look set for huge financial trouble if relegated) and Doncaster.

League One:
Automatic promotion-Charlton (10 points clear), Sheffield United
Playoff spots-Sheffield Wednesday, Huddersfield (sacked Lee Clark for too many draws; on Saturday drew at home to bottom-placed Rochdale to lose ground. Ha!), Evil, Ugly, Stupid, Soapless MK Dons and Notts County
Within six points of playoffs: Carlisle (hurray), Stevenage (boooh. Three games in hand, come on everyone they play against.).
Relegation mix-up: loads of teams and let's face it, few people care

League Two:
Automatic promotion-Swindon (goosestepped into an 8 point lead), Shrewsbury (hurray!), Southend
Playoff spots-Cheltenham (level with Southend, no doubt to the anguish of certain souls), Torquay, Crawley, Oxford
Within six points of playoffs: Gillingham, Crewe (hurray!), Rotherham
Relegation places: Dagenham & Redbridge, Plymouth. Changes of manager have given Northampton and Hereford a boost but they are only two and three points clear of the drop respectively. Macclesfield are three clear, Barnet five.

Fleetwood continue to canter a country mile ahead of everyone in the Conference. Wrexham now have my permission to earn promotion via they playoffs because Dean Saunders has left them to go to Doncaster.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
That was in September! And Fleetwood have hardly cantered away from them; they're five points behind with a game in hand. It is still in Wrexham's hands.

In the English lower league thread 2011/12, linear narrative is eschewed as an ideological act in order to challenge bourgeois, patriarchal, heterosexual, capitalist, monogamous oppression within a sporting context.

My paper had Wrexham on 73 points, but they were leading me astray, the swines. Bless you for your assistance.

Anyway, have Cardiff turned Vuckic into a world-beater yet?

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
The fact he didn't get off your bench tonight suggests probably not!

Blimey, the last time I looked he was supposed to be having his loan period extended!

It appears that my powers of concentration have become somewhat so what about that Jari-Matti Latvala then, threw away a podium with that crash and I can't say I like the look of that new Sean Penn film, even if it has David Byrne in it.

Erm, where was I?

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Some great goals there. Always good to see Leeds embarrassed. Forest looking like they'll stay up now.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Chesterfield won in the end. 2-0. Glad for them.
Yup, bless all the poor armchair supporters, a 2nd disappointing wembley loss. Where are those 30,000 fans for regular home games? That's 1/4 of our population. I actually wanted them to lose so my facebook wouldn't be spammed with the fair weather fans pretending to care, I remember last time everyone saying they were going to take on the Milwall fans :laugh: I care very little for football anyway, and certainly not swindon, I've only been to 1 game in the 6 years I've lived here.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Portsmouth won again at home, 2-0 against Hull. HUGE win.

3 points away from safety with 7 matches to go!

The schedule is fairly favorable though...

At home against 16th place Burnley.

Very, very tough match against the Scummers on the road.

Match at home against Millwall, currently in 19th.

Road match against last place Doncaster.

At home against Crystal Palace, currently 13th.

At home against 12th place Derby.

Close out the season on the road against 20th place Nottingham.

The home matches are all winnable. Need to take at least 7 of 12 points.

It'll be tough to get anything in Southampton. Should be able to take at least 1 at Doncaster, and the last match of the season will potentially be massive. How I'd love to send down Cotterill's Forest!

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Apparently, West Ham took several thousand fans to Peterborough and although they won 2-0, when the game was scoreless the supporters serenaded Allardyce with choruses of "we're West Ham, we play on the floor."

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Yup, bless all the poor armchair supporters, a 2nd disappointing wembley loss. Where are those 30,000 fans for regular home games? That's 1/4 of our population. I actually wanted them to lose so my facebook wouldn't be spammed with the fair weather fans pretending to care, I remember last time everyone saying they were going to take on the Milwall fans :laugh: I care very little for football anyway, and certainly not swindon, I've only been to 1 game in the 6 years I've lived here.

I dislike Swindon purely for a few reasons:

A) Paulo Di Canio has turned them into a dirty team when things aren't going their way. Evident when they were 1-0 down against us in the JPT. Hacked, dived, tripped their way to a goal.

B) The number of players they've brought in. Some of the players that joined in August have left by January. Peter Clarke lasted a few games and was then loaned out.

C) The fact that they're seem unable to lose in the league.

We play Cheltenham tomorrow. If we don't win I'm going to be suicidal as I wouldn't be surprised if we miss out on the play-offs, which would be gutting.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Apparently, West Ham took several thousand fans to Peterborough and although they won 2-0, when the game was scoreless the supporters serenaded Allardyce with choruses of "we're West Ham, we play on the floor."

If fat Sam doesn't take the three points, at home, against Reading on Saturday...ooof. Unhappy support would be an understatement.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England

Sounds like Forest fans against Coventry back in February, made me laugh at the time.

I love songs like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille