The end of the McDavid/Draisaitl era if they lose to Vancouver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
I think they both stay. There's not a lot of teams that have both the cap space and an already talented roster where they are going to end up in a situation that's already better than they have it in Edmonton.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This isntnaccurTe anymore. They were statistically one of the better defensive teams in the league this year. Also thwy have an effective 2nd line now with guys like kane hyman and nuge co.plimenting mcdavid and draisaitl.

Believe it or not. Its hard to win a cup. The last 2 playoffs they lost to the eventual cup champions. Making the conferencenfinals 2 years ago, and last year exiting in 2nd round but arguably giving vegas a tougher series than any other team did. They arent as far off as people are acting like.
They are about as far off as Vancouver is, and they aren’t very close.

No depth, poor defence, haven’t won a game with McDavid beyond the second round. Haven’t beaten a team in the playoff other than Calgary and Los Angeles

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Drai is leaving after the Canucks break the Oilers.

Reverse karma from the Oilers breaking the Flames a few years back.

• Haha

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Drai is leaving after the Canucks break the Oilers.

Reverse karma from the Oilers breaking the Flames a few years back.
All Flames fans have to cheer for for the next decade or so will be the team playing the Oilers

On topic - I think they will stay - but it is going to be an issue fitting both of them and Bouch under the cap with some of the other contracts we have - not good!

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Oilers will do absolutely everything they can to make them stay. Sure they haven't gotten it done yet but these two players are obviously elite and very, very hard to replace. Better the devil you know than the one you don't anyway.

There are like 20+ players they would rather dump than either of these two. They're not the problem with the team.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I'm going to take a moment and applaud Pickard. He showed up and rose to the occasion.

As for Mc D and Drai, I think what will change is the Oilers approach.

Last edited:

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Sooner or later McDavid will need to ask for a trade or just hit free agency.

I have zero faith in Oilers management.
Also their depth and goaltending is not good enough to win them the cup.

Can McDavid and Draisaitl take them far? Absolutely! But their far from a complete team and the front office is a train wreck.

Edit: I got nothing against Oilers. I just think it'd suck if McDavid never left Oilers and if that ultimately means he never wins a cup. Not saying they can't improve but they haven't supported him with a good, well-balanced team since they drafted him.

Still a lot of question marks.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
This isntnaccurTe anymore. They were statistically one of the better defensive teams in the league this year. Also thwy have an effective 2nd line now with guys like kane hyman and nuge co.plimenting mcdavid and draisaitl.

Believe it or not. Its hard to win a cup. The last 2 playoffs they lost to the eventual cup champions. Making the conferencenfinals 2 years ago, and last year exiting in 2nd round but arguably giving vegas a tougher series than any other team did. They arent as far off as people are acting like.

They are going to be significantly further off when Draisaitl/Bouchard get their raises. Losing to the winner doesn't get you any extra credit you could easily choke the rounds after.

Not like Colorado, Vegas or Vancouver are going anywhere anytime soon, the Oilers aren't going to be able to upgrade with their capspace so it's just going to be a trend them losing to better all round teams every single year.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
If Draisaitl walks, which he won't he'll be re-signed, but if he does walk he will go to Boston. He will fit in nicely there and win a cup or three

• Haha

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Trade them each at 50% (or 75%) retained and guarantee a team a cup, while taking all of their picks and top prospects for almost a decade.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Oilers should sign Pickard to a $3m x 5 deal, he's the goalie of the future

Reactions: Nopefully

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If they trade Draisaitl, McDavid definitely walks. He's got no one else to play with.
He got nugget pumpkins. Oilers fans said he was as good as Pettersson and Miller some said he was even better 🤣

Drai more likely to leave then McDavid IMO, although I think both of them resign.

A move for Drai gets him out of Edmonton and likely into a more happening city, gets him more $, and likely makes him the #1 guy on the team.
I hope both re-sign in Edmonton, 10 years, 160 million each. 16 million for McBaby and 16 mil for Drysaddle. Should help Oilers depth

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The Oilers just need a goalie and a tiny bit more depth. They aren't really that far off, but ya you can't have Skinner as your #1.
Tiny bit of depth?? Thats a good one. They need way more depth. Like actual NHL quality bottom 6, Selke #3 center, Blueger type 4th line center, big physical top 4 dman, a number 1 starter...just to name a few. Look how much Canucks changed and turn over the roster. It wasnt just a couple of players, they got Soucy, Cole, Zadorov and Hronek and rebuilt that D completely by buying out stiffs like OEL and getting rid of small dmen like stecher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad