The end of the McDavid/Draisaitl era if they lose to Vancouver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Drai more likely to leave then McDavid IMO, although I think both of them resign.

A move for Drai gets him out of Edmonton and likely into a more happening city, gets him more $, and likely makes him the #1 guy on the team.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Whatever happens (win or lose this series), the smart play is to simply just ride it out with a new GM. You have two top 5 players in the league. McDavid is being focused on in every playoff series, and Draisaitl is thriving. That in itself gives you a chance.

(Selfishly though yes I hope so)

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Drai is coming to Vancouver
It will be one of LA, DAL, BOS, or NYR.

Whatever happens (win or lose this series), the smart play is to simply just ride it out with a new GM. You have two top 5 players in the league. McDavid is being focused on in every playoff series, and Draisaitl is thriving. That in itself gives you a chance.

(Selfishly though yes I hope so)
Agreed. They have to try until the bitter (or sweet) end.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I wouldn't be surprised if McDrai leaves. It'll be a decade with the same team and there is nothing showing that the Oilers FO can build a cup contender around them. They have $10 mil in dead cap space between Campbell and Nurse's contract, and it's only going to get more difficult with Drai's and Bouchard's pay raises.

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
For a generational player McDavid better delivers now. Seems like his bud Drai always gets crappy teammates but better results. So he could be the one who likes to have a fresh start with a solid build team.

A team going for a cup run with Skinner/Pickard and so much dead weight is somehow comical btw.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
How many times are they going to try the same thing and lose? 1 line team, no defense, no goaltending, rinse and repeat. Absolutely wasted having a player like Draisaitl signed at 8.5m for so long.
This isntnaccurTe anymore. They were statistically one of the better defensive teams in the league this year. Also thwy have an effective 2nd line now with guys like kane hyman and nuge co.plimenting mcdavid and draisaitl.

Believe it or not. Its hard to win a cup. The last 2 playoffs they lost to the eventual cup champions. Making the conferencenfinals 2 years ago, and last year exiting in 2nd round but arguably giving vegas a tougher series than any other team did. They arent as far off as people are acting like.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The more important question is, can the Oilers afford to resign both McDavid and Drai? Draisaitl will want 13M on his next contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad