Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Very, very tough to stay interested in the team while this entitled slacker wears the uniform. A couple months back Selfishele's skills trainer, Adam Oates, was on a podcast I listened to. He stated his number one focus was to teach his players how not to get hurt. A while back in an interview Selfishele said he wanted to play until he was forty. I think those two things combined have made him into a disengaged loser only in it for paychecks for as long as he can get them. It's sad because he is a hell of a player when he wants to be. Oates never won a cup and neither will his guy
I think this is completely valid.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Put up some proof or STFU!
The eye test supports his suggestion.

There has been rumblings about this team for several seasons. It is not hard to put 2 and 2 together and opine that Scheifele and Wheeler rule the roost and dont like that others are challenging their position.

The organization, the coach and the media have been singing their praises for years. For the most part justifiably so. BUT we have all noticed a decline in Scheifele's game. More selfish. Then there was the stuff around Laine ending up with Laine beng traded. Wheeler went from the impressive leadership during the cup run season ("pump the brakes, we haven't won anything yet") to being snippy and short with the press.

This team is underachieving. The leaders are underperorming.

Team needs a true reset -> new coaching staff, new leadership group.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
This sounds more like a telenovela than reality. There may be some disagreements between players and there may be some between PLD and Wheeler and Scheifele, but you're painting Wheeler and Scheifele as movie villains who are desperate to cling onto power above all else, which I think is nonsense, quite frankly.

I don't disagree there's some leadership issues apparent with this team right now but you're way over the top on your assessment of 26 and 55.
I"d say GNP is bang on correct.
GNP nowhere mentions 55 and 26 as movie villains as you say.
The fact they wear the letters, have worn them for some time, and this team is nosediving south in a hurry under their leadership shows they are not leaders in any way.
Plus, KFC and PLD are the top players now. KFC went to the all star game and all you have to do is watch any game to see how PLD leads in numerous ways other than on the score sheet.
And for those who continue to hang their hat on the points 55 and 26 get as justification they are doing their job, they should be racking up a ton of points with the extended PP time every game.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I"d say GNP is bang on correct.
GNP nowhere mentions 55 and 26 as movie villains as you say.
The fact they wear the letters, have worn them for some time, and this team is nosediving south in a hurry under their leadership shows they are not leaders in any way.
Plus, KFC and PLD are the top players now. KFC went to the all star game and all you have to do is watch any game to see how PLD leads in numerous ways other than on the score sheet.
And for those who continue to hang their hat on the points 55 and 26 get as justification they are doing their job, they should be racking up a ton of points with the extended PP time every game.

The telenovela movie villain comment was about the part of his post saying that Scheifele and Wheeler fear losing their dominance and are vying in some power struggle for the team, not about their leadership capabilities of this team.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
The eye test supports his suggestion.

There has been rumblings about this team for several seasons. It is not hard to put 2 and 2 together and opine that Scheifele and Wheeler rule the roost and dont like that others are challenging their position.

The organization, the coach and the media have been singing their praises for years. For the most part justifiably so. BUT we have all noticed a decline in Scheifele's game. More selfish. Then there was the stuff around Laine ending up with Laine beng traded. Wheeler went from the impressive leadership during the cup run season ("pump the brakes, we haven't won anything yet") to being snippy and short with the press.

This team is underachieving. The leaders are underperorming.

Team needs a true reset -> new coaching staff, new leadership group.
Well said. It is not hard to watch 26 and 55 on and off the ice over the years and see their immaturity and lack of leadership.

Reactions: rkp, imec and GNP

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Keep in mind, this is a pretty small city we live in…

The Scheifele/Lowry girlfriend dispute was a real thing…the daughter of a fella I play hockey with is one of the girl’s best friends. Certainly the details get bent out of shape a bit as info gets passed on, but there certainly was some legitimacy to this.

I’m sure there are others here on this board who have other tidbits they know about the behind the scenes Jets goings on from reliable sources, but just choose not to pass them on for varying reasons.
So it’s 100% real because you know a guy, who knows a girl, who knows a girl, who knows Lowry’s girlfriend.

In 18-19 this apparently happened and divided the locker room and ruined the jets season, yet a few weeks into the offseason Lowry, Scheifele and Morrissy were golfing together.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Tinkerfefe going for another lazy self imposed individual effort today?

upload_2022-2-27_10-54-7.gif

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So it’s 100% real because you know a guy, who knows a girl, who knows a girl, who knows Lowry’s girlfriend.

In 18-19 this apparently happened and divided the locker room and ruined the jets season, yet a few weeks into the offseason Lowry, Scheifele and Morrissy were golfing together.

Did you actually see them golfing together apart from the team produced video? I said it at the time and I'll say it again. That whole thing looked staged to present the appearance of harmony.

I also heard about the shenanigans through someone that deals with True North and knows a team service provider. Teams always put up this facade of "what happens in the dressing room, stays in the dressing room" to the media, but players talk. And the people they talk to talk, and word gets around.

Reactions: GNP

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Did you actually see them golfing together apart from the team produced video? I said it at the time and I'll say it again. That whole thing looked staged to present the appearance of harmony.

I also heard about the shenanigans through someone that deals with True North and knows a team service provider. Teams always put up this facade of "what happens in the dressing room, stays in the dressing room" to the media, but players talk. And the people they talk to talk, and word gets around.
Notice again how no one actually knows the person first hand, you know a guy, who knows a guy that works for the team that heard it from who knows where, for all we know that guy knows a guy who overheard the person that sells 50/50 tickets talking about it with the person selling popcorn.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Notice again how no one actually knows the person first hand, you know a guy, who knows a guy that works for the team that heard it from who knows where, for all we know that guy knows a guy who overheard the person that sells 50/50 tickets talking about it with the person selling popcorn.

I guess you are assuming we are all idiots…why would anybody divulge sources? I know more details about that “spat” but still know better than to pass on anything more than what I said. I’m not going to get into a pissing match with you.

Like I said, there are likely a handful of people on this board who likely know far more than what they pass on here. This is a small city…

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
He doesn't have the attitude/mentality to be a leader on this team. He is never going to change his game, and the game he is playing now is not good enough to help this team be successful. Ship his ass out of town this summer.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I guess you are assuming we are all idiots…why would anybody divulge sources? I know more details about that “spat” but still know better than to pass on anything more than what I said. I’m not going to get into a pissing match with you.

Like I said, there are likely a handful of people on this board who likely know far more than what they pass on here. This is a small city…

Bingo

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Last week my boss told me that his friend's son (who plays golf with PLD) told him that PLD said "the dressing room is a mess".

Yes this is hearsay but there are also warning signs all over for those who pay attention.
I pride myself of being someone who's good at reading body language. Leadership at worst is in shambles, at best has some serious challenges.

Heck even Wheeler himself said in an interview he struggled with his leadership abilities.

considering the Jets really only have 8-9 real NHL forwards counting Ehlers and Copp is the disconnect between forwards and D men?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
All the rumours on this thread makes me think of the Tie Domi days… Now THAT guy could launch a rumour

ello

Jun 12, 2018

FWIW I heard the exact same thing, im the same age as Lowry's gf so again word gets around

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
considering the Jets really only have 8-9 real NHL forwards counting Ehlers and Copp is the disconnect between forwards and D men?

It's possible. This my speculation. I think theres personality conflicts and some perceived favoritism in the locker room. Certain players force themselves into lines and when split, they seem to almost slowly sabotage their new assignments.

Why is Wheeler often starting overtime when he is huffing and puffing heading into it?

As for a disconnect with the D I'm not sure. I have a hunch some players dislike Dillon. Remember he hit Jets players with too much aggression in preseason scrimmages. There was that Wheeler Charoit fight a few years back.

But I think mainly the problem lies with the leadership /older core at odds with the new emerging young core. Plus other conflicts that we don't really know about.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The PLD quote was from last summer. Wheeler was asked to speak postgame tonight and he did not want to. Not a good show for a suposed "leader".

Even the Illegal Curve guys weighed in. All 3 questioned his leadership and the leadership group in general. (45 minute mark)

Either in the fall of 2014 or in the beginning of 2015 I was told by someone I consider pretty reliable that their buddy who golfs with TNSE high up folks was told that TNSE is sick of Buff, wants to move on from him and doesn't think the Jets can win with him. A year later Buff signed a long term deal with the Jets and Chevy publicly proclaimed how important he is to the franchise. These accounts should always be taken with a grain of salt esp when they are not directly coming from someone you trust but instead from 2 mouths removed from someone you trust.

That's a fair critique by the IC boys. It's perfectly fine and fair to question Scheifele's D. I disagree with them about them questioning 26's leadership but it's a fan show after a bad loss so those kind of discussions are gonna be had. What is not fair is calling them "losers" and such personal attacks or coming up with pop-psychology based narratives that paint them as villains standing in the path of the Jets winning without much concrete behind it, which has been happening too much at this place.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Either in the fall of 2014 or in the beginning of 2015 I was told by someone I consider pretty reliable that their buddy who golfs with TNSE high up folks was told that TNSE is sick of Buff, wants to move on from him and doesn't think the Jets can win with him. A year later Buff signed a long term deal with the Jets and Chevy publicly proclaimed how important he is to the franchise. These accounts should always be taken with a grain of salt esp when they are not directly coming from someone you trust but instead from 2 mouths removed from someone you trust.

That's a fair critique by the IC boys. It's perfectly fine and fair to question Scheifele's D. I disagree with them about them questioning 26's leadership but it's a fan show after a bad loss so those kind of discussions are gonna be had. What is not fair is calling them "losers" and such personal attacks or coming up with pop-psychology based narratives that paint them as villains standing in the path of the Jets winning without much concrete behind it, which has been happening too much at this place.

Agreed grain of salt. I'm just relaying what i heard. Hypothetically, IF PLD did say the room is a mess, it doesn't mean he wants out. He may want to be part of the solution

But at least it is based on something I heard. Any source at all that Maurice got fired from overly loyal True North, or is it your speciation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad