The draft !, do you want it changed or kept the way it is ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Aug 25, 2005
Just a thought I had, wanted to get people's opinnion on this.

This year, due to the lockout we had a draft lottery for the draft positions. Teams got a certain amount of balls according to their standing of the previous season, meaning that lower teams got 3 balls, middle teams got 2 balls and top teams got 1 ball.

Would it not be fairer this way...more excitting for the game. Every team (especially now that a certain level of parity exists in the league) deserves a chance at the first overall.

In the old NHL the bottom teams used to stock up on young phenoms, while the top teams, got rather marginal prospects at time.

In the new NHL we could find ourselves in a situation where the last team in the league is only 10-20 points out of first, do they really deserve to automatically get the first overall ???

your thoughts...

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
Seamus O' Toole said:
the only way the draft should revert back to the snake system is if their is another lockout that lasts a year or longer

couldn't have said it better.

although, i'd like maybe a lottery system somewhere in between normal, and this year's draft.

Hold a lottery for the nonplayoff teams, and one for the playoff teams, but limit the pick movement to +6 or 7.

give the top team 16 balls, second 15, etc.

Just my opinion

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
No on the snake draft, but absolutely agree we should have more of a lottery.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Why should it change. The high picks should always go to the teams that finished with the worse record. It only makes sense. I'm sorry, I don't think you can give teams that win a cup a chance at the #1 pick.

Deleted member 3032

I think that they should have a lottery, like they had this year, but for all non playoff teams. If your team finished 17th and just missed the playoffs, it would have a shot at first overall, still. This prevents teams from tanking (well, reduces the usefulness of tanking), and helps to create more competitiveness in the league. It's not as extreme as the lottery they just held, where Ottawa had a legit chance at #1 pick (and didn't miss it by too much), but it still gives teams a reason to compete even if you may miss the playoffs, while letting rebuilding still be possible. This would likely cause a lot less first round picks to be used in trades, though (not that that is a good enough reason to not use this system, imo). You could maybe weight it a little bit, where the 30th team has a better percentage than the 17th team, but I'd only like that if it was a system where there was a difference of about 2% between those teams were possible.

I think that this would go a long way towards making the league even more competitive. As it is right now, if you're going to miss the playoffs, why bother trying? You only hurt your team's future.

CapitalPunishment

Apr 9, 2004
Maryland
Plager05 said:
The NFL has the most parity of any league and there is no lottery.

you call the patriots winning 3 superbowls in a row parity?????????????????? :dunno: :biglaugh:

edit: look at who all the top teams have been in the past 5 years, and surely there will be just a few teams on that list:

colts, eagles, patriots, packers, vikings, ravens, broncos...etc. its the same old teams winning over and over again.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Spotlight said:
In the new NHL we could find ourselves in a situation where the last team in the league is only 10-20 points out of first, do they really deserve to automatically get the first overall ???

I wouldnt mind seeing a more expanded lottery.....but not to the extent you are saying.....and....finishing last does not guarantee the #1 pick anyway

Claypool_*

CapitalPunishment55 said:
you call the patriots winning 3 superbowls in a row parity?????????????????? :dunno: :biglaugh:

They won 3 superbowls in a row? That's news to me....

X0ssbar

I agree - the only way we should use the system we used this year was if there is another year long lockout.

The current lottery system has been pretty effective IMO - the bottom five teams should be the only squads to have a shot at a top 5 pick.

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
Why bottom five, TS? Why not four, or six, or ten, or three?

I think the NHL should adopt a weighted draft based on how a team fared over its past five seasons. When I write "weighted," I mean that each of the five preceding years should be weighted. The previous season would be the most heavily weighted, with preceding years valued less. This would make it more difficult for a team to put an inferior product on the ice in one season with the intent of moving up in the draft the next season. It would also focus more on how well (or really, now poorly) an organization develops talent, and would distribute incoming talent accordingly. The focus should not be simply on giving the worst teams in a previous year the best draft picks, but should take into consideration how a team has fared in general.

Why five years? It's an arbitrary number, but should be a value that reflects the average amount of time it takes for draft picks to make it to the NHL and help the team by which they were selected. I don't know that it's five years, and I'm not so sure it should consider all rounds of the draft. An alternate method of determining the weighting values in each year would be based upon the NHL contribution of drafted players over the length of time a team holds an entry-level player's rights prior to arbitration eligibility. The league would need to hire a few statisticians.

Instead of weighting the preceding years 40-25-18-12-5 percent, maybe it would be 50-22-15-9-4 percent. It's practically a semantic issue. I'm interested in a draft position derived from numbers rather than one chosen arbitarily. That's the theme of this post.

I am not particularly fond of the reverse-order draft, but I absolutely detest a so-called weighted lottery as in this previous season. Can anybody imagine what the NHL would have looked like with Crosby in someplace like Philadelphia, and the Flyers picking at the top of each subsequent round? One of my big problems with this year's draft was that not only was it completely random, but that alternate rounds were not reversed (where Pittsburgh would have picked last in the second round and so on), but I digress.

Collectively, we've put people on the moon. The best and most well-known professional hockey league should be able to do better.

Vic Rattlehead*

The lottery we had in the old CBA is good enough. In the NFL, there is no lottery. You finish last, you pick first. I like the way the NBA and NHL do it. A league wide lottery would be too much. The past draft was an exception, since no hockey was played.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
stanley said:
Why bottom five, TS? Why not four, or six, or ten, or three?

I think the NHL should adopt a weighted draft based on how a team fared over its past five seasons. When I write "weighted," I mean that each of the five preceding years should be weighted. The previous season would be the most heavily weighted, with preceding years valued less. This would make it more difficult for a team to put an inferior product on the ice in one season with the intent of moving up in the draft the next season. It would also focus more on how well (or really, now poorly) an organization develops talent, and would distribute incoming talent accordingly. The focus should not be simply on giving the worst teams in a previous year the best draft picks, but should take into consideration how a team has fared in general.

Why five years? It's an arbitrary number, but should be a value that reflects the average amount of time it takes for draft picks to make it to the NHL and help the team by which they were selected. I don't know that it's five years, and I'm not so sure it should consider all rounds of the draft. An alternate method of determining the weighting values in each year would be based upon the NHL contribution of drafted players over the length of time a team holds an entry-level player's rights prior to arbitration eligibility. The league would need to hire a few statisticians.

Instead of weighting the preceding years 40-25-18-12-5 percent, maybe it would be 50-22-15-9-4 percent. It's practically a semantic issue. I'm interested in a draft position derived from numbers rather than one chosen arbitarily. That's the theme of this post.

I am not particularly fond of the reverse-order draft, but I absolutely detest a so-called weighted lottery as in this previous season. Can anybody imagine what the NHL would have looked like with Crosby in someplace like Philadelphia, and the Flyers picking at the top of each subsequent round? One of my big problems with this year's draft was that not only was it completely random, but that alternate rounds were not reversed (where Pittsburgh would have picked last in the second round and so on), but I digress.

Collectively, we've put people on the moon. The best and most well-known professional hockey league should be able to do better.

:handclap:

Sounds good to me.

My only issue with the draft is that it's not covered anywhere near well enough by the US media.

...and to the guys who mention the NFL and NBA drafts. In the NFL and NBA, teams are drafting guys who are ready to come in and contribute right away. In the NHL, teams are picking guys who still need anywhere from two to five years of development before being ready to contribute. I don't think you can compare the two systems.

P_B

:bow: :blues

ktaylor57

Jul 14, 2005
Sharks territory!
While the lottery was a blast to watch, I'd wait for the day the Stanley Cup champ wins the lottery and gets the first overall pick.

So no, I wouldn't want a lottery like this year's unless there's a lockout or something else stupid.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Legionnaire said:
No all team lottery. No snake draft. Back to the way it was.

Maybe not an all team lottery, but an expanded lottery is a good idea. Separate the teams by playoff contenders and non-playoff contenders.

In my opinion, it's pretty weak that the worst team gets at WORST the second pick overall. Afterall, the president trophy winners aren't guaranteed at WORST a cup finals appearance. However, things are set up where they have a higher chance.

And I know they are different situations, but the underlying principle is similar.

And I think that, when teams know they still have a chance of picking 14th overall while being the worst team in the league, will encourage them to ice a more competitive team... which is what the fans are entitled to get.

acr*

They should adopt the NBA lottery, so every team that doesn't make the playoffs gets a shot.

It'll keep teams like the Capitals from shamelessly tanking in the last half of the season.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
acr said:
They should adopt the NBA lottery, so every team that doesn't make the playoffs gets a shot.

It'll keep teams like the Capitals from shamelessly tanking in the last half of the season.

That makes no sense.......the Capitals finished right where they were all season, third from last. They were in fact in last place as late as January, before they traded Jagr, Bondra, Gonchar, etc......how is that "shamelessly tanking"?

what does an NBA lottery have to do with a team that finished 3rd from the bottom winning the lottery

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Forget the snake, but I'd definitely love to see the lottery open up to include all 30 teams. But I'd make so absurd that if the Cup champs actually won, it would make the 6 o'clock news all over the world based on the sheer lack of probability alone.

That lottery this year was hard to beat, in terms of emotion.

Bootsauce

Aug 2, 2005
I say put all of the non play-off teams in a weighted lottery and all of the play-off teams in another. All teams that miss the play-offs have a chance at #1 and the teams that were in the play-offs get the last 16 weighted picks. That would be the most fair to me. As much as I would like my Canucks to get another shot at a top ten pick, I don't think it is fair. I did like the snake draft though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad