The Draft Analyst: 2024 Mock Draft (Post-Lottery 1-32)

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
1. Ducks never draft Russian leaguers and I think after Demidov and Silayev there is a gap. Could be an ownership thing or a Madden thing, but it’s still a thing.

2. Doubtful you or anyone not working in the NHL scouting community knows what Ducks scouts are thinking.

3. McKenzie’s list after the lock top-4 was slightly off last year. He had Perreault at 10, Simashev at 16, But at 22, Danielson at 16, Willander at 20. Iginla is shooting up all rankings. Even Bob said so. If he’s 10 before the combine and presumably before his scouts saw the U18s, then top-5 is realistic. Someone is going to fall. I think it’s Lindstrom, especially if the top-6 is 3/6 defense
I think it was a Bob Murray thing. I suspect Verbeek will take a Russian if he thinks he is the BPA. Coming from Tampa Bay, Demidov could be his Kucherov or Silayev could be his Hedman. If Levshunov goes 2OA I believe one of the Russians will go to Anaheim.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I think it was a Bob Murray thing. I suspect Verbeek will take a Russian if he thinks he is the BPA. Coming from Tampa Bay, Demidov could be his Kucherov or Silayev could be his Hedman. If Levshunov goes 2OA I believe one of the Russians will go to Anaheim.

Wondering if trading Drysdale was part of a strategy to draft the RHD who was highest on their board if they were out on Celebrini. Also wondering if a Zegras trade happens and Demidov is with Chicago, do they take a similar player to Zegras in Catton

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Wondering if trading Drysdale was part of a strategy to draft the RHD who was highest on their board if they were out on Celebrini. Also wondering if a Zegras trade happens and Demidov is with Chicago, do they take a similar player to Zegras in Catton
No I don't think so. Verbeek values size and grit over talent. I don't think he was a big Drysdale fan and there was no way that both Drysdale and Zellweger were going to play for the Ducks at the same time. I suspect Verbeek was beyond thrilled to acquire Gauthier for Drysdale.

I believe Verbeek would also love to trade Zegras if he got the right offer but I don't think he'd replace him with a similar player. He's building a team in the image of Vegas, Boston, or Florida...size size size. His picks of Gaucher and Myatovic when there were far more talented players still on the board only confirm that.

Reactions: Steve Kournianos

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
1. Ducks never draft Russian leaguers and I think after Demidov and Silayev there is a gap. Could be an ownership thing or a Madden thing, but it’s still a thing.

2. Doubtful you or anyone not working in the NHL scouting community knows what Ducks scouts are thinking.

3. McKenzie’s list after the lock top-4 was slightly off last year. He had Perreault at 10, Simashev at 16, But at 22, Danielson at 16, Willander at 20. Iginla is shooting up all rankings. Even Bob said so. If he’s 10 before the combine and presumably before his scouts saw the U18s, then top-5 is realistic. Someone is going to fall. I think it’s Lindstrom, especially if the top-6 is 3/6 defense
Ducks need RD. I know You don’t like Levshunov as much(as me personally) but his name is written on the Ducks swamp all over the place. Their offensive core is too good to spend huge asset in another piece - more over Iginla is little bit small for how they are drafting in the last ~20 years in the first round. I believe Drysdale was the only one exception with meh size and not so great skating, I don’t think they will repeat with Iginla who is same size with not so great separation speed.

On the other hand jackets drafted quite good defensive core, their center depth still have questions even with Fantilili and Sillinger, they need offensive pure talent/second line center a lot. Svozil, Mateychuk, Jiricek and signed Severson with Werenski is quite good D core.

I would love to draft Nygard for Devils, you can find my breakdown here in his topic and on my Twitter with his potentially center type of a game. But he isn’t playing center technically. Devils loaded with RW with Meier/Bratt(one is playing left because we lack of LW), Mercer, Holtz, Hameenaho. So I hope Devils scouts made as good analytic job as me(yeah I know how it sound, not Immodest and presumptuous, but I was the first one who said before the draft that Yurov has real potential as center, look at him now - now I’m betting on Nygard as potential nhl center and I have solid arguments for it, again, I know - immodest, sorry for that), but I can’t wait for it, I’m draft junkie, who will listen to me, Fitzgerald drafted for needs in first round before(only Luke was more obvious BPA when we “loaded” by LD), so even if I wish we will draft Nygard I can’t wait for it.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anaheim is a team that isn’t afraid to go off the board…. But if levshunov is on the board it is almost too much of a good fit not to take.

Reactions: Steve Kournianos

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Self own!!!

“Anyone can write anything on the internet! Doesn’t make them credible. Oh, by the way, here are rando fans on a message board proving my point”

Ah same as you did before when I asked you to clarify your personal rankings that were baffling.

Simply ignore the comment/question.

See the problem is that too many “analysts” whenever they have someone disagree with their thoughts or opinions are unable to handle it with class and professionalism.

It’s what makes them amateurs.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I enjoyed reading it. The mock drafts that very obviously just straddle the perceived consensus are boring. Generally the more someone has watched the more willing they are to deviate from what everyone else is saying. Doesn't make them necessarily right or wrong but it's more interesting at least.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I agree. People also need to keep in mind that McKenzie likely asked for rankings for his poll a couple weeks in advance. And those rankings that he received may have been a couple weeks old.which compounds the age and makes them possible a month old at time of publication. It’s possible that the CHL playoffs, Frozen Four, and U18s don’t factor much into the lottery day scouting poll that McKenzie published.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
No I don't think so. Verbeek values size and grit over talent. I don't think he was a big Drysdale fan and there was no way that both Drysdale and Zellweger were going to play for the Ducks at the same time. I suspect Verbeek was beyond thrilled to acquire Gauthier for Drysdale.

I believe Verbeek would also love to trade Zegras if he got the right offer but I don't think he'd replace him with a similar player. He's building a team in the image of Vegas, Boston, or Florida...size size size. His picks of Gaucher and Myatovic when there were far more talented players still on the board only confirm that.

Agree on all points.
Ducks need RD. I know You don’t like Levshunov as much(as me personally) but his name is written on the Ducks swamp all over the place. Their offensive core is too good to spend huge asset in another piece - more over Iginla is little bit small for how they are drafting in the last ~20 years in the first round. I believe Drysdale was the only one exception with meh size and not so great skating, I don’t think they will repeat with Iginla who is same size with not so great separation speed.

On the other hand jackets drafted quite good defensive core, their center depth still have questions even with Fantilili and Sillinger, they need offensive pure talent/second line center a lot. Svozil, Mateychuk, Jiricek and signed Severson with Werenski is quite good D core.

I would love to draft Nygard for Devils, you can find my breakdown here in his topic and on my Twitter with his potentially center type of a game. But he isn’t playing center technically. Devils loaded with RW with Meier/Bratt(one is playing left because we lack of LW), Mercer, Holtz, Hameenaho. So I hope Devils scouts made as good analytic job as me(yeah I know how it sound, not Immodest and presumptuous, but I was the first one who said before the draft that Yurov has real potential as center, look at him now - now I’m betting on Nygard as potential nhl center and I have solid arguments for it, again, I know - immodest, sorry for that), but I can’t wait for it, I’m draft junkie, who will listen to me, Fitzgerald drafted for needs in first round before(only Luke was more obvious BPA when we “loaded” by LD), so even if I wish we will draft Nygard I can’t wait for it.

I felt like I had to pick one top-5 wild card and I settled on Anaheim taking Iginla.

I always like Levshunov and had him ranked seventh dating back to last season. But the first thing I noticed was how Michigan State's system of a zillion forwards backchecking and supporting down low (physically as well) helped open up the ice for him and led him to leave a slot a ton, and in those instances Augustine would bail him out. He also had bad starts to games but strong finishes, so I can see why teams are still very high on him, as well as Central Scouting.

As for the Devils, I'm thinking they reactionary draft from the Rempe stuff but not based on position and not by over-drafting too much. Nygard gives them toughness and skill. Maybe Sennecke or Surin in that regard as well. The Mukhamadullin and Stillman picks show they are willing to take risks, although those were outside the top 10

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Agree on all points.

I felt like I had to pick one top-5 wild card and I settled on Anaheim taking Iginla.

I always like Levshunov and had him ranked seventh dating back to last season. But the first thing I noticed was how Michigan State's system of a zillion forwards backchecking and supporting down low (physically as well) helped open up the ice for him and led him to leave a slot a ton, and in those instances Augustine would bail him out. He also had bad starts to games but strong finishes, so I can see why teams are still very high on him, as well as Central Scouting.

As for the Devils, I'm thinking they reactionary draft from the Rempe stuff but not based on position and not by over-drafting too much. Nygard gives them toughness and skill. Maybe Sennecke or Surin in that regard as well. The Mukhamadullin and Stillman picks show they are willing to take risks, although those were outside the top 10
I still think Levshunov is very high on a lot of boards because of raw skill. Same with Silayev - even with his questionable puck disicions in D zones on both levels (K and M). Ducks just traded Drysdale. But I agree with the concept of wild card.

Mukhamadullin was the pick of need(LD) over consensus, Stillman was the pick of need (grit, bottom line scoring) over consensus(imagine they would draft Knives who could everything the same but a lot better). Nygard is right winger. Thats the problem. I would love him or Chernyshov but both are right wingers. Fitz is very need pick. As Shaq, as Stillman, but as Hiltz(scoring right winger, we had nothing in the moment), as Mercer (another right winger, more consensus pick but he still could draft other player as consensual pick), as Nemec (i liked pick a lot, like the player more than Wright, but consensus was about Wright and Cooley). This is just what Fitz do.
But will see, I will be very happy with Nygard. He has real center potential(may be even better center potential than some centers on this draft), he is smart, tough, great skater, great forechecker and positional player. On my taste he is underrated because he isnt trying to outplay every player every shift.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Blackhawks board would riot if they took Goaltender Carter George at 20th, lol

Gajan regressed a bit and George likely goes off the board first. Since Davidson already let his scouts take a goalie earlier than expected, there's no reason to think he won't do it again.

Also, Gajan is the only goalie Chicago has taken out of the last three drafts combined. The fans can complain all they want but Hawks' goaltending has been shit for years and the two kids they have in Rockford will be UFA age by the time a 2006-born is up for RFA.

Ah same as you did before when I asked you to clarify your personal rankings that were baffling.

Simply ignore the comment/question.

See the problem is that too many “analysts” whenever they have someone disagree with their thoughts or opinions are unable to handle it with class and professionalism.

It’s what makes them amateurs.

Ok, so on your weird planet calling someone's mock draft "embarrassing" is asking in a really sweet and professional way to clarify rankings. Got it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Gajan regressed a bit and George likely goes off the board first. Since Davidson already let his scouts take a goalie earlier than expected, there's no reason to think he won't do it again.

Also, Gajan is the only goalie Chicago has taken out of the last three drafts combined. The fans can complain all they want but Hawks' goaltending has been shit for years and the two kids they have in Rockford will be UFA age by the time a 2006-born is up for RFA.
2nd on Commesso in 2020 (just finished 1st year of ELC), high 2nd on Gajan in 2023.

If they love him, sure, but from a need standpoint, people would be frustrated for sure.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
At this point we are seeing these random people with a website making wild draft predictions just for clicks.

It’s embarrassing
Random? I may not always love all his opinions or mochs, but steve has been doing this for years. It's definitely not random. He does his due diligence on every prospect he reports on. Again we may not all agree on everything, but his opinions are based on observations and analysis.

Reactions: Sticktape

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I think your right about verbeek, but I also think it might be bigger then Murray. After 2001 they took only 1 Russian until 2020. (I may have missed one but that's a good stretch, besides Murray drafted plenty of Russian when he was GM here in Detroit )

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Even with Seider, and ASP and Gibson in the pipeline, there is zero chance Detroit is passing up Yakemchuk to take Jett Luchanko lol. There's zero chance Yakemchuk is there at 15 at all... But there's zero chance, if he was, that Detroit would pass on him to take a guy that's fringe 1st round.

If RHD isn't the top commodity in the league it's tied with center. Who gives a shit if you have too many? Trade one for a premium.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Anyone with a website can write anything they want. Doesn’t make them credible.

I also remember you calling me out for my take on Power regarding his questionable hockey IQ.

Take a look at his development and the Sabres forum and most of their complaints regarding him. Seems I was right so far about him as well.

This is strictly about his defensive awareness which isn’t exactly breaking news for a 2nd full year defenseman. His offensive IQ is phenomenal

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Everytime I see Catton linked to the Habs at 5 I laugh and stop reading.

Last edited:

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Good Mock, Steve

Would be some good names for early 2nd

Trevor Connelly
Teddy Stiga
Emil Hemming
Dean Letourneau
Ryder Ritchie

Adam Jiricek