Post-Game Talk: The Devil's In the Details, Leafs Win 5-2

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The big question is, what grade does Tre get? The summer of Brad not looking so bad today.

I think this coming summer will be more the summer of Brad, because this time he's not coming in 5 weeks before the draft.

This time he truly has the whole summer.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
This is why I think it's dangerous to put too much reliance on what we are seeing in these games, especially tonight and against Montreal on Saturday. Thursday will also be a throw-away game. Saturday may offer a better opponent given what the game will mean for Detroit. The reality, however, is that the games will completely change as of April 20. The way the lines look in these games won't mean anything at that point.
I think the first line will continue to work well as a unit. As for the other lines, their chemistry might not be perfect but spreading out the scoring depth should continue to be an advantage. The last few seasons if Mitch and Auston were shut down they couldn’t score enough to win. Hopefully that won’t be the case with more players who can score like Bertuzzi, McCann, Knies, Domi and Robertson getting top nine minutes.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think the first line will continue to work well as a unit. As for the other lines, their chemistry might not be perfect but spreading out the scoring depth should continue to be an advantage. The last few seasons if Mitch and Auston were shut down they couldn’t score enough to win. Hopefully that won’t be the case with more players who can score like Bertuzzi, McCann, Knies, Domi and Robertson getting top nine minutes.
I think any line with Matthews on it will do well in the playoffs. That won't be an issue. The performance of the other lines should be interesting to watch.

Reactions: Ports

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Knies has put up 3G and 7 pts in his last 8 games. Robertson has 3G and 5 pts in this last 7 games.

McMann has put up 1G and 1 pt in his last 7 games.

McMann is cold right now, but the kids are starting to show their stuff.

I say keep Domi, let Bert walk, and spend money on D/G and or an #2/3C.
It’s completely just a feeling obviously with no real basis to it all but it does feel like Domi might be the only one to take a real discount to stay.

Reactions: kb

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Who even are the Dubas cults? I think it's a figment of some people's imaginations. There are certainly people who are obsessed with Dubas, and continuously post their anger regarding him... but I don't really see much of anyone being loyal to him.
They’re quietly waiting in the background. Once a Dubasite. Always a Dubasite. Their glasses are a dead giveaway.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
The thing with Robertson is he does his current role perfect, but that current role does include not playing at times.

He's a spot start scorer and that's exactly what he lives up to. Scores every time you put him back in.

He still has a lot to clean up to become a regular. Smart, systematic play where you grind teams down with your cycle, defence and efficient passing is integral to winning cups. He still can't do this at an above average pace.

As a spot start goal scorer he is clearly elite.

With that said, his ceiling is very high if he can improve all-around.
So if they sit him every other game, he’ll be a 40 goal scorer.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Lot of (good) posters have peaced out over the past few years. Gonna assume the (at times) unhinged, way over the top negativity surrounding a top 4-8 team is the cause. Too bad. C19 has changed the way people interact online and in real life......respect is gone, balanced takes are unwelcome, have to choose a side in this 'war', whatever the subject is. Division is the main artifact left over.
I mean, Idk who these good posters are you speak of because I'm sure there's plenty but I doubt these good posters were really so innocent even though they like to think they are.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It’s completely just a feeling obviously with no real basis to it all but it does feel like Domi might be the only one to take a real discount to stay.
To be honest, I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption to make when it comes to Domi. He obviously likes the city, has history here, and I'm sure he's tired of bouncing from team to team.

Reactions: bax

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I mean, Idk who these good posters are you speak of because I'm sure there's plenty but I doubt these good posters were really so innocent even though they like to think they are.

The "good" posters he's referring to must be the others who did nothing but worship the ground the ex-GM walked on, and only direct criticism towards other posters (who are capable of thinking for themselves) and not the team itself.

This forum needs less of that and more critical thinking, not the other way around.

There are other forums out there that cater to groupthink consensus like that. There used to be one just for all the Burke fanboys that got alienated / weeded out from here but I think that's died off :laugh:

Reactions: hotpaws

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Lot of (good) posters have peaced out over the past few years. Gonna assume the (at times) unhinged, way over the top negativity surrounding a top 4-8 team is the cause.
Yep. Unfortunately, the toxicity and negativity was allowed to spread, and it cost a lot of good posters, which feeds the loss of even more good posters. It's how message boards die.

Reactions: kb

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
We saw a glimpse of what the plan could be if the Leafs find themselves trailing.

You can keep Matthew's line together and just move Willy up with JT and Marner if trailing later in the game.

Reactions: Ports

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He likes to call out people for one small detail in their posting , don't take it personally. Not everyone can be 100% factually correct about hockey all the time (except Zeke).

Did o'l Zeke get banned? Asking for a Freddy...
Yes. Banned.
Lot of (good) posters have peaced out over the past few years. Gonna assume the (at times) unhinged, way over the top negativity surrounding a top 4-8 team is the cause. Too bad. C19 has changed the way people interact online and in real life......respect is gone, balanced takes are unwelcome, have to choose a side in this 'war', whatever the subject is. Division is the main artifact left over.

I hope Seńor Martinez is OK. Hopefully he didn't stay hard for too long.

Always read the label, guys.
Senor. Banned.
Holy crap HF I will watch Argylle okay? Just stop please

Yep. Unfortunately, the toxicity and negativity was allowed to spread, and it cost a lot of good posters, which feeds the loss of even more good posters. It's how message boards die.
We need Zeke and Senor back.

You can always IGNORE certain posters who only know trashy hot takes.
Random example: (note: no user shaner actually exists).

1712839646540.png

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
In case anybody is missing Senor Martinez I found a transcript of his hockey commentary.

"They got to hit that sauce hard. Afterwards, Leafs HE-Man must twerk in their faces. Does not matter if da goalie is wearing his brains-proof goalie mask, Leafs will dish that puck and throw Southern cooking into their trap like faces and dance in their goal crease to line-dancing western music. When the Leafs score again, our thugs suckas will twerk again in the goal crease. This time to country music.

Being righteous Southerners, that will cause the brawl line, like good ole boys having a good ole time. Just like Dubya B once said, mission accomplished! Get out your 2 string banjo, and started the muzak with the twerk. It's is Saturday night next week!

Before the main event Saturday night, wuhoo! On Tuesday they gotta put blonde man Sandin back in there will lumberjack Little Lil. They are gonna be a hacking and chopping them trees down. They know no twerk, they know chop 'em down! Needs Simmons for back up, he's the artillery. Simmonds is artillery man. Man!

The GM and da Keefe, heard a rumour they don't got this twerk thang down. They need to find the right pencil to fill out that line-dancing card.

That's it, y'all. Hee Haw!

:baghead:"

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The "good" posters he's referring to must be the others who did nothing but worship the ground the ex-GM walked on, and only direct criticism towards other posters (who are capable of thinking for themselves) and not the team itself.

This forum needs less of that and more critical thinking, not the other way around.

There are other forums out there that cater to groupthink consensus like that. There used to be one just for all the Burke fanboys that got alienated / weeded out from here but I think that's died off :laugh:
That's what I'm saying. What makes these posters good posters? They complained when Lou was here and they complained about Lou and the Islanders and being toxic when they'd make the playoffs or advance further into the playoffs. Can't blame toxicity on good posters leaving when those same posters were just as toxic and now can't seem to handle it that their GM was fired. Now it's people having a obsession with Dubas too when they were talking about Lou for 5+ years after he was gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad