The death of Quebec hockey?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
But how many of those immigrant kids from la francophonie are interested in hockey vs soccer or basketball?

That's... precisely what could be addressed here, by integrating hockey into schools.

Of course the 7 year old kid born in, say, Tunisia, is probably more interested into soccer than hockey because he almost certainly never heard of hockey before.

But the one born here? Who knows.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That's... precisely what could be addressed here, by integrating hockey into schools.

Of course the 7 year old kid born in, say, Tunisia, is probably more interested into soccer than hockey because he almost certainly never heard of hockey before.

But there’s also the issue of immigrant parents who may not approve of the potential physical dangers of hockey etc.

BTW - this issue of bringing “other” players into hockey community is not an exclusive Quebec issue, it’s the biggest hurdle for the NHL. In the US there has been almost zero penetration into the inner city / minority communities even, which is why I suspect the NHL would be ecstatic w Matthews bolting Leafs for Yotes to drum up some enthusiasm within Latino community

Last edited:
Reactions: MXD

cheeseburgers

Jan 23, 2020
I mean, from my experience growing up, a lot. Everybody likes the Habs and hockey. Basketball and soccer are just a ton cheaper to play. Of course, some just prefer to play soccer or basketball or whatever, but so long as you're born here or come at a really young age, there's really nothing that stops you from appreciating the sport. Playing it is just much more of a pain in the ass.
True but you can go to Canadian Tire and get some Bauer skates for 60 dollars and spend more on soccer shoes at Sports Expert. Plus the outdoor rinks are free all winter every day. many people playing hockey in the winter outside and it costs nothing, it's the team's where parents are trying to put their kid on a AAA that are expensive (I talk to friends in other provinces it's so much $)

Last edited:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
But there’s also the issue of immigrant parents who may not approve of the potential physical dangers of hockey etc.

BTW - this issue of bringing “other” players into hockey community is not an exclusive Quebec issue, it’s the biggest hurdle for the NHL. In the US there has been almost zero penetration into the inner city / minority communities even, which is why I suspect the NHL would be ecstatic w Matthews booting Leafs for Yotes to drum up some enthusiasm within Latino community

Are the Yotes still moving away as their arena loan is over?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Are the Yotes still moving away as their arena loan is over?
Not sure - I suspect there’s a power game going on in the background to get a new arena in Phoenix / Scottsdale or worst case a move to Houston - which also has a significant Latino community

No doubt owners preference would be to find a way to get a new arena in Az, and keep alive the lucrative expansion fee of Houston, which is really the last US locale with top TV viewership population left to expand to

Reactions: ArtPeur

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
So now being born in Quebec is not enough. You have to be from a particular tribe. They have a word for that. If Marc Denis actually said that, then I've lost all fcuking respect for him.

Québec players regardless of language or culture, now can we talk how to make this happen? Equipment is expensive, rules are excessive, governance, etc.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Star Quebec players where?
Anaheim none
Calgary none
Edmonton none
Los Angeles none
San Jose none
Seattle none
Vancouver none
Vegas none
Arizona none
Chicago none
Colorado none
Dallas none
Minnesota none
Nashville none
St-Louis none
Winnipeg Dubois?
Carolina none
Columbus none
New Jersey none
New York Islanders none
New York Rangers none
Philadelphia none
Pittsburgh Letang is almost 35 year olds
Washington none
Boston Bergeron is turning 37 next year
Buffalo none
Detroit none
Florida Huberdeau
Montreal none
Ottawa none (Chabot aint no star)
Tampa none
Toronto none

Dubois Huberdeau and old guard Letang and Bergeron
Before getting 1 on the habs , perhaps they should produce more than 1 every 5 years

I am talking 15 25 years down the road if this program has any success.If you want a great example.. Vinny L wanted no part of home ...

Reactions: Laurentide

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
But how many of those immigrant kids from la francophonie are interested in hockey vs soccer or basketball?
And that is something the committee has to address,among many others.
Have more kids interested in hockey from young ages.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
This is long overdue - hockey Quebec (and Hockey Canada, quite frankly) has been stuck in 90s hockey for too long. It's time to evolve and grow beyond this.

Frankly the Canadiens should have been investing in Hockey Quebec from a player to executive level for a long time, but they're too stupid.
The Canadiens should set up a European-style youth academy. Great way to produce both players and coaches.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not sure if politics has a place in telling people there should be more kids out of the Q make it...........but if the Premier is serious about it, then the money spent has to be all the way down to the grass roots of the issue, and let 4-5 year olds start early, and let them use the ice in their communities as soon as possible.
It would seem that 5 yr olds don't care for the Habs, because they don't see the team winning......many years ago the kids grew up watching the habs win Cups, over and over.....
The biggest issue though is the media....they seem to drive kids away from wanting to play in their home province, which is why they do NOT want to be drafted by the Habs.

Not sure how politics can change this, just because....

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Martin Leclerc has been very vocal about it for a long time : Martin Leclerc | Profil | Radio-Canada.ca
Not trying to defend hockey Québec’s track record, but I personally know why, where and when he started using his tribune to launch his personal vendetta against hockey Québec.
In my ex line of work, I have had to deal with journalists on many occasions, and unfortunately witnessed a few of them use their public tribune to settle their friend’s or personal scores by writing either biased or only partial parts of stories.
Some journalists are extremely competent and thorough, some…..not that much.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Not trying to defend hockey Québec’s track record, but I personally know why, where and when he started using his tribune to launch his personal vendetta against hockey Québec.
In my ex line of work, I have had to deal with journalists on many occasions, and unfortunately witnessed a few of them use their public tribune to settle their friend’s or personal scores by writing either biased or only partial parts of stories.
Some journalists are extremely competent and thorough, some…..not that much.

Martin is a very competent journalist tho and he might have an agenda (that I don't know of) but his articles always are founded on facts and backed with stats. I don't always agree with his positions but his points are always valid.

Reactions: barbu

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Marc Denis is involved that'a good thing from listening to him on the radio he is great

Hope that turns out well but from what I have learned over the years... talking about ideas and strategy vs producing are two different things. How many road blocks does he face moving forward?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Canadiens should set up a European-style youth academy. Great way to produce both players and coaches.

They should also create a fund where they hand out free equipment for young players on families with low income. There is talent in Quebec no doubt but it's quite possible that the talented ones with low income families don't get a shot to prove themselves.

Show up to elementary, junior high, and high schools to invite kids for hockey schools. Provide information for them to get financial support so they can talk to their parents about it when they get home.

Reactions: Franck

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

More Quebecers have played a game in the NHL this year vs Czech or Russians or any other province except Ontario

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Being from an immigrant family I may add something here.

Hockey is an expensive sport. It can't touch soccer or basketball when it comes to accessibility. Even if you introduce hockey into the schools you will have to couple that with a massive reduction in the cost of the equipment. I know immigrant families coming to Canada nowadays are not like the families that came in my parent's time. Many of the immigrants that came in the 60s, 70s and 80s had to struggle. Today many of the immigrants are well educated and professionals but many aren't and it is still a financial burden to permit your child to play hockey.

Reactions: Runner77 and MXD

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Being from an immigrant family I may add something here.

Hockey is an expensive sport. It can't touch soccer or basketball when it comes to accessibility. Even if you introduce hockey into the schools you will have to couple that with a massive reduction in the cost of the equipment. I know immigrant families coming to Canada nowadays are not like the families that came in my parent's time. Many of the immigrants that came in the 60s, 70s and 80s had to struggle. Today many of the immigrants are well educated and professionals but many aren't and it is still a financial burden to permit your child to play hockey.
Yep, equipment will need to be heavily subsidized. Decent goalie fear alone is a few thousand.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This is long overdue - hockey Quebec (and Hockey Canada, quite frankly) has been stuck in 90s hockey for too long. It's time to evolve and grow beyond this.

Frankly the Canadiens should have been investing in Hockey Quebec from a player to executive level for a long time, but they're too stupid.

Expand on this a little. I don't disagree, but I'm certainly curious about what you and others are seeing. What part of it is stuck in the 90s?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
About time that someone tries doing something. My solution would to have hockey played at school for every boys at primary school and up(girls could play as well but if they don't want to you could give them alternatives). I have a friend who is not from hockey culture and happened to play hockey cause he wanted to do something with me and he ended up being a damn good hockey player who played longer than me. I bet there are many Quebecers who would have the talent but don't know it.

Another would be to create an Elite league here like the Swedish league. Young guys could play with adults and it would help their development.

Reactions: amethyst

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad