The David Backes Appreciation Thread

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Making this thread for a couple reasons. One is because he's my favorite player and I don't think he gets enough credit nationally or from his own fanbase.

But the main reason is his postseason so far as been pretty historic from a St. Louis franchise standpoint.

He has 2 overtime postseason goals this year. He's only the second Blue to ever do that (Pierre Turgeon in 99.)

He has 3 game winning goals this postseason. He's only the third Blue to have 3 game winners in a single postseason in team history (Hull in 96, Scott Young in 01.)

He along with Alex Steen each scored multiple goals in the same postseason game. First pair of Blues to each score multiple goals in the postseason game since Turgeon and Pavol Demitra in 1998.

----------

For all the flak he takes from fans for "not being a good leader" (which is asinine for any fan to say) and taking bad penalties, it has not happened in this postseason.

So let's show some love for our fearless leader! :yo:

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He's elevated his game quite a bit. He's been an absolute monster, and fortunately Hitchcock seems to have adjusted his usage to allow Backes to be much more effective offensively.

Last edited:

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I love the Captain. He really just can't win with a lot of the fans I feel. He's calmed down a lot this year and I think it's really benefited the team in a positive way. Also his hand eye coordination on his tip in goals are too amazing, and he does it consistently!

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He's elevated his game quite a bit. He's been an absolute monster, and fortunate Hitchcock seems to have adjusted his usage to allow Backes to be much more effective offensively.

So much this. He didn't burn him out during the regular season

RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
I love the Captain. He really just can't win with a lot of the fans I feel. He's calmed down a lot this year and I think it's really benefited the team in a positive way. Also his hand eye coordination on his tip in goals are too amazing, and he does it consistently!

I wasn't a huge fan of his until this year but I didn't necessarily hate him either. This year he has proven to me what a captain actually is and I couldn't be happier.

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis
If he plays his game in front of the net he's usually money. We don't need him to be this magical #1 Center. We now have enough talent and he's the perfect compliment.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I've liked Backes, but I thought he was likely to be allowed to walk after this season especially when transitioned to wing during the season.

But I'm more convinced that the Blues will bring him back after his playoff performance so far. He's come up big in big moments. Who cares if he declines and is overpaid toward the end of his next contract? He contributes NOW and almost every other playoff team would have liked to have him in their top 9 doing his net-front deflections and solid defense against offensively dangerous players. The fact that he can slide in and play center when needed is only bonus.

After this year he'll be a guy who still has a few good years left, and will have a more confident mentality for the post-season.

Take the thought experiment all the way:
The Blues win the Cup. What do you do with the roster? I think you try to keep the contributing pieces intact as much as possible, which includes Backes and Brouwer. I'm not sure they can manage both, but maybe they can and then have to trade a guy later. Sometimes the discussions on this board get too caught up in the contract value, etc. But the bottom line is that you have to ice the best TEAM, and if the Blues were a proven Cup winner you shouldn't squander pieces of that unless necessary.

Even if the end of the window is a collapse for a couple years, I'd happily trade that.

trevorftw

Voice of Reason
Sep 7, 2009
Saint Louis
Backes was one of my biggest concerns going into the first round. His temper has gotten the best of this team in the playoffs year after year. I was hoping to see a new, less-emotional version of the captain, and that's what I'm seeing. Zero untimely penalties. You can't score in overtime from the penalty box.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Backes has been great. Especially in these playoffs.

I think this is the last we see of him. He's done everything asked of him, been a great captain and led this team to some great seasons.

However its no longer Backes' team. Younger guys like Petro, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Parayko are now taking over ad the core players. I feel like the team will go in a direction and unfortunately I don't think Backes is in that direction.

I couldn't be happier with Backes. He's a Blue at heart a d always will be.

Burynai

Nov 10, 2010
St. Louis

I think this is the last we see of him. He's done everything asked of him, been a great captain and led this team to some great seasons.

However its no longer Backes' team. Younger guys like Petro, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Parayko are now taking over ad the core players. I feel like the team will go in a direction and unfortunately I don't think Backes is in that direction.

Well maybe they can get him a big parting gift before he leaves :naughty:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
He's heart and soul of this team and have really stepped out at this post-season for good, but looking for the future the contract what he'd want at next summer (+5.5mill.$ AAV) I'd personally buy a ticket for him to fly Africa to help homeless dogs.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015
For all of you who insisted that the Blues got the most out of Backes as a #1 center rather than a RW, do you still stand by your word? I think Stastny has done an excellent and more natural job as the #1 center this postseason, which takes the leash of defensive responsibility off of Backes, and that has allowed him to get loose on the forecheck that has been so integral in this team's playing style.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
So much this. He didn't burn him out during the regular season

Exactly this, he learned to play at 70% during the regular season in order to have the energy to play at 100% come playoff time. Which I attribute some of that to his adjusted role (no longer first line minutes). If anyone would have told be that 10 playoff games in Backes would have the same amount of goals as Tarasenko I would ask if that was on ps4 or Xbox. Keep it up Captain.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Who do you see providing his tip-ins and net-front presence on the PP, etc? The list of guys that do that nearly as effectively is not very long, and some of them would cost as much or more.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
For all of you who insisted that the Blues got the most out of Backes as a #1 center rather than a RW, do you still stand by your word? I think Stastny has done an excellent and more natural job as the #1 center this postseason, which takes the leash of defensive responsibility off of Backes, and that has allowed him to get loose on the forecheck that has been so integral in this team's playing style.

Well seeing as how Stastny is being used very similarly to the way Backes was used in previous years, it validates what many of us have been saying about Backes' utilization. It has nothing to do with his move to the wing. It's the lifting of the crushing defensive load that's allowed his offense to increase.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Who do you see providing his tip-ins and net-front presence on the PP, etc? The list of guys that do that nearly as effectively is not very long, and some of them would cost as much or more.

Few little interesting stats:
Ty Rattie had the best 5v5 production on the team. He produced 2.54 pts/60 however he did have a small sample size.
Robby Fabbri was 4th on the team in 5v5 production at 1.87 pts/60.
Jori Lehtera had 1.46 pts/60 and Troy Brouwer 1.42 pts/60.
Backes had a 1.35 pts/60.
Jaskin had 1.04 and Berglund 1.22 but they played a lot less minutes. In fact every player listed had less minutes then Backes.

Backes' size and physical element would be missed but if we play Jaskin with players he can succeed with (skilled players) maybe Fabbri-Stastny-Jaskin he can actually produce.
As for Rattie he should be given a chance to play. His offensive production would drop but 2.54 ranked 6th in the league.

On a side note, Kevin Shattenkirk produced less 5v5 then Brodziak, Ott, Edmundson, Bouwmeester, Upshall, Paajarvi. He ranked 20th on the team with 0.51 pts/60.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I don't think you can find even 3 guys better at doing what Backes does in front of the net. He's that good.

I would give him a 6 X 4 contract today if he'd take it.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I don't think you can find even 3 guys better at doing what Backes does in front of the net. He's that good.

I would give him a 6 X 4 contract today if he'd take it.

As would I. And I really wouldn't think twice about it either. I think he's got 3 good years left in him, especially if we lighten his defensive load. We may be a team in transition you a younger core, but Backes does things nobody else on this team does.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well, he got flak because he used to be an idiot that took bad penalties and did stupid ****. That's just a fact.

He's changed his game and has stopped going out of his way to be a moron and picking fights with guys in Panarin's weight class. He only channels his aggressiveness when necessary so far these playoffs (big hits).

He deserves props for that, yes.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Backes is shooting 38.5% these playoffs. That's quite a bit higher than normal.

There ya go.
He'd have 1 or 2 goals maybe if he was shooting his normal percentage.

When you look at stats you have to look at things like shooting % and offensive, defensive zone starts. Those can truly play a role in a players offensive production.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
There ya go.
He'd have 1 or 2 goals maybe if he was shooting his normal percentage.

When you look at stats you have to look at things like shooting % and offensive, defensive zone starts. Those can truly play a role in a players offensive production.

I'm not particularly interested in playing the what if game. He's elevated his game and found a way to score 5 goals so far and that's all that really matters. Sure the first OT winner was lucky, but that's why you funnel pucks to the net. You may just get lucky, and that's all it takes. The rest of his goals he has absolutely earned. And

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad