The "crossplay" thread

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Since more and more games now allow both Xbox and Playstation and PC players to play together online, let's sum up people's experiences so far. My only experiences are from World Of Tanks and World Of Warships. I play on Xbox Series X and I'll have to start by saying I've more or less dropped the latter game when they brought in the carriers. But anyway, on to WOT. No PC players, only consoles as the PC version differs too much from the console version. I play during evenings or late nights and there's mostly PS players on the Europe servers, Switch to NA, and the roles are reversed. But, the more important thing is and this has been discussed at WOT forums, Xbox and PS players use completely opposite tactics. All the routes I've gotten used to while playing with my friends are thrown out the window when there's a lot of PS players. And more often than not, their tactics are shite. Communication is also a bit hard because they still have not modified the command wheel to include some common sense and actually worthwhile commands. People are still capturing bases when there's only one enemy tank left and it's about to get clown pounded. And for some reason, PS Players think camping at the spawn is a good strategy in this game!?

I don't play CoD anymore but I've heard complaints from several friends that mixing PC players with console players has been a boneheaded move.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Since more and more games now allow both Xbox and Playstation and PC players to play together online, let's sum up people's experiences so far. My only experiences are from World Of Tanks and World Of Warships. I play on Xbox Series X and I'll have to start by saying I've more or less dropped the latter game when they brought in the carriers. But anyway, on to WOT. No PC players, only consoles as the PC version differs too much from the console version. I play during evenings or late nights and there's mostly PS players on the Europe servers, Switch to NA, and the roles are reversed. But, the more important thing is and this has been discussed at WOT forums, Xbox and PS players use completely opposite tactics. All the routes I've gotten used to while playing with my friends are thrown out the window when there's a lot of PS players. And more often than not, their tactics are shite. Communication is also a bit hard because they still have not modified the command wheel to include some common sense and actually worthwhile commands. People are still capturing bases when there's only one enemy tank left and it's about to get clown pounded. And for some reason, PS Players think camping at the spawn is a good strategy in this game!?

I don't play CoD anymore but I've heard complaints from several friends that mixing PC players with console players has been a boneheaded move.

PC players in Warzone def have a pretty good advantage. They are able to change the FOV of the game while console players cannot. They also have access to being able to cheat with hacks.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
PC players in Warzone def have a pretty good advantage. They are able to change the FOV of the game while console players cannot. They also have access to being able to cheat with hacks.

It also brings the controller vs keyboard/mouse issue to the forefront too. There's a distinct advantage for people playing with keyboard and mouse over those who do not.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
It also brings the controller vs keyboard/mouse issue to the forefront too. There's a distinct advantage for people playing with keyboard and mouse over those who do not.

depends how proficient they are with it. The pro players/youtubers are insane but most of the keyboards and mouse players i play against in warzone are not and i can easily beat them with controller on console.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
depends how proficient they are with it. The pro players/youtubers are insane but most of the keyboards and mouse players i play against in warzone are not and i can easily beat them with controller on console.

There's always going to be those who aren't good with either, but there are certain movements that are much more difficult to do with a controller than with a mouse/keyboard, for me at least. I find that when I play with a controller in cross-platform play that my overall gameplay is much more volatile than if I play in one specifically for mouse/keyboard or controller. I've been playing shooters on various platforms for my whole life and am fairly consistent (whether good or bad) and that trend only changes when cross platform is involved. Could just be a me thing but could also be a noticeable advantage.

Funny enough, I used to be someone who didn't think the difference was that great between the two and was largely over exaggerated. I don't think that so much anymore. Maybe it's still slightly exaggerated but there's definitely a gap to me.

Reactions: tacogeoff

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
There's always going to be those who aren't good with either, but there are certain movements that are much more difficult to do with a controller than with a mouse/keyboard, for me at least. I find that when I play with a controller in cross-platform play that my overall gameplay is much more volatile than if I play in one specifically for mouse/keyboard or controller. I've been playing shooters on various platforms for my whole life and am fairly consistent (whether good or bad) and that trend only changes when cross platform is involved. Could just be a me thing but could also be a noticeable advantage.

Funny enough, I used to be someone who didn't think the difference was that great between the two and was largely over exaggerated. I don't think that so much anymore. Maybe it's still slightly exaggerated but there's definitely a gap to me.

oh ya i agree the strafing and bunny hoping is much easier and proficient on CPU. Def a huge advantage if you are proficient at maintaining accuracy while performing these movements.

It def comes down to skill/coordination and you are right the keyboard and mouse player should be better than the controller console player in shooters.

I was just speaking on personal experience from Warzone. Its pretty much the only game i play anymore in regards to online play.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The Halo MCC actually has a nice solution to PC vs console crossplay.

You can have crossplay on, but you can also enable "input based matchmaking". Even though I'm on PC, playing Halo with mouse + keyboard just feels wrong so it's nice being able to still play against players on controllers. Though MCC actually does a decent job of balancing the two inputs with all the assists controllers have, to the point where many think keyboard and mouse are actually at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jussi and PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Don't all the consoles allow for keyboard/mouse now?

I think they do, but the amount of people who use it is slim I'd guess. One of the points of having a console is so you can sit in your living room on the couch and play on a big ass screen in front of you. A mouse and keyboard isn't ideal for that setup. It's been a while since I've had a console though (360 was my last) so maybe things have changed?

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Plugging your PC into a TV in your living room would just be annoying to me, especially if I use that same PC to do office work and need a monitors for that.

Sure you can do it, but there’s a mental barrier there for me.

Reactions: PK Cronin

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
You can make a HTPC setup work for gaming, but I agree it's just not the same experience as a console.
Don't all the consoles allow for keyboard/mouse now?
It depends on the game but I'm pretty sure the call of duty games allow it

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Plugging your PC into a TV in your living room would just be annoying to me, especially if I use that same PC to do office work and need a monitors for that.

Sure you can do it, but there’s a mental barrier there for me.

My office is on the second floor of my house and the living room is on the first, which is the only place in my house with a television so it's just not convenient at all.

There are ways to set it up but it's not worth it for me. I also have a monitor specific for gaming and I imagine most "serious" gamers do as well.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm not into "crossplay." What the rest of you do in the privacy of your own homes is your business, though.

Reactions: Beau Knows

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm not into "crossplay." What the rest of you do in the privacy of your own homes is your business, though.
It keeps games alive a lot longer though. Battlefront 2 is getting longer and longer to get a full supremacy match.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It keeps games alive a lot longer though. Battlefront 2 is getting longer and longer to get a full supremacy match.

It was evident since last year's E3, that crossplay is going to become the next "big thing" among developers since so many multiplatform game developers used that word.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

I play multiple games with cross play. It's not really a problem in Black Ops Cold war mainly due to the price tag of the game. Warzone is a clusterf*** of epic proportions. Hackers have overtaken the game.

In Destiny 2 they have a hacking problem but with cross play live as of last week, they allow console players to intermingle but PC players can only crossplay at the invitation of a console player. That's the way it should be.

Yet. POV is coming to console.

Depends on the game. Then again console players don't have apps like Kovakk or Aim Lab which are designed to help you increase your Hand/Eye.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Don't forget console players do have a huge advantage due to aim assist, especially in Warzone. There's a lot of videos floating around now showing just how much it really does help and I can say from my own experiences there are often times where I won't even see someone due to them being in good cover or camouflaged well but the tug from the aim assist lets me know where they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad