the crosby weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azdinator

Jun 29, 2005
France
what do you think it can be ?
I know it's hard to find but everybody have one. Personally I think it will be his size ... I mean in a junior ligue it's not reallly important but in the nhl it will be harder. I didn't know if you ever looked at the photo with crosby and lemieux on it but you can see a big difference between the 2.

PS: I totally not a crosby hater and by this thread I don't want to bash, insult or speak bad about him ... but those time we speak only about the strenghs on crosby.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Azdinator said:
I know it's hard to find but everybody have one. Personally I think it will be his size ... I mean in a junior ligue it's not reallly important but in the nhl it will be harder. I didn't know if you ever looked at the photo with crosby and lemieux on it but you can see a big difference between the 2.

PS: I totally not a crosby hater and by this thread I don't want to bash, insult or speak bad about him ... but those time we speak only about the strenghs on crosby.
Size is his only drawback, but he is very strong so I don't think it will be an issue. He's almost as big as Sakic or Yzerman and is much more dominate at the same age.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
Yeah, his size seems to be more like 5"8" than 5"10" when I saw him standing next to Mario. Don't know if that'll hurt him much or at all.

The thing I don't get is. Some small extremely talented players in past history have been taken in late rounds, but turned out to be either good or very good hockey players.

Crosby's junior numbers http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=73288 are comparable to

Theo Fleury:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=1712

or

Cliff Ronning: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=4654

Fleury turned out to be an all-star player and Ronning turned out to be a pretty good NHLer. So all of these players have put up siimilar #s in the juniors and 2 of them were drafted in the late rounds, yet Crosby gets all the hype? I don't get it. Is it because of Gretzky's comments about Crosby a couple of years back? I wouldn't be too suprised if Crosby turns out to be more of a Fleury (production wise) than the hyped up next one.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
Crosby might have some competition if Nash and Kovalchuk tear up the league in the next ten years.

Injuries. That's the only thing I think could hurt Crosby early. He reminds me a lot of Saku Koivu when he first came up with the Habs. Great vision, great skating, scrappy player. As soon as Koivu started to put numbers on the board they centered on him and pulverized the guy, killing his knees in his second season.

Now Crosby has a little height and weight on Koivu, but Koivu had 5 extra years of body maturity going for him. I sure hope Crosby concentrates on his offensive game, and leaves the scrapping to his wingers...

Ofcourse the fact that I'm comparing a 17 year old Crosby to a 23 year old Koivu is pretty amazing in and of itself!

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Azdinator said:

I don't think he's played any games with players averaging over the age of 20. I think he might have the same initial difficulties Joe Thorton had. The biggest problem he has might be that people just might be expecting too much from him. In a few years, maybe he'll have a 100 points more than everyone else in the same span.What if his game doesn't quite translate as well as everyone thinks?
What if he's, say, only a second line player? His biggest problem would be then dealing with fan backlash. He's not even 18 yet, and he's the "chosen one"...well, at least theres no darkside to turn to in hockey...right?

BTW, in case anyone wonders I think Crosby will be one of the better players in the NHL. But there is a small chance he'll just be a bit better than average....

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
someguy44 said:
Yeah, his size seems to be more like 5"8" than 5"10" when I saw him standing next to Mario. Don't know if that'll hurt him much or at all.

The thing I don't get is. Some small extremely talented players in past history have been taken in late rounds, but turned out to be either good or very good hockey players.

Crosby's junior numbers http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=73288 are comparable to

Theo Fleury:

or

Fleury turned out to be an all-star player and Ronning turned out to be a pretty good NHLer. So all of these players have put up siimilar #s in the juniors and 2 of them were drafted in the late rounds, yet Crosby gets all the hype? I don't get it. Is it because of Gretzky's comments about Crosby a couple of years back? I wouldn't be too suprised if Crosby turns out to be more of a Fleury (production wise) than the hyped up next one.

Take a closer look.Ronning and Fleury were 18/19 when they put up Crosby type numbers.Also overall scoring was much higher even in the WHL.Fleury and
Ronning probably didn't even win the scoring races all of those years.They
certainly didn't for some of them and not for all of CHL.

The reason for the hype is VERY SIMPLE. NOBODY(not Lemiuex or Gretzky or
anyone) has done the things this kid has at ages 16 and 17.

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Size and pure speed. The latter not being a weakness so much as it is a notch below other elite young phenoms, i.e Ovechkin and Kovalchuck.

I don't think his shot is on par w/Nash, Kovalchuck, and Ovechkin either.

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
I believe the biggest adjustment will be playing for a team that finished in dead last in the East with a 23-47-8 record before the lock out. He will be at center stage with a team that is re-building. Has Sidney ever played for a losing team ? He has always played with teams full of talent. I believe his game will progress as fast as Pittsburg can re-load.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I believe the biggest adjustment will be playing for a team that finished in dead last in the East with a 23-47-8 record before the lock out. He will be at center stage with a team that is re-building. Has Sidney ever played for a losing team ? He has always played with teams full of talent. I believe his game will progress as fast as Pittsburg can re-load.

Well, granted Rimouski was very young but they do have finish dead last to get Crosby in the QHJML. And that's only 2 years ago. I know Junior team can change his players faster but still.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Anksun said:

Well, granted Rimouski was very young but they do have finish dead last to get Crosby in the QHJML. And that's only 2 years ago. I know Junior team can change his players faster but still.

Crosby was a stand out junior player but in the most important game of his life(Memorial Cup championship) he did nothing.

In some strange sense Crosby needed a big loss at the Memorial Cup to better prepare himself for the highest level of hockey(NHL)

Weakness: The way he is used to playing(overly physical) does not bode well if he attempts to pull that off in the NHL.

Crosby might not be a lightweight at what 193 pounds(7 pounds under the average NHL weight of 200) but there are literally hundreds of players heavier.

Being under 6 feet also puts Crosby in the minority in today’s NHL.

Crosby took a lot of punishment at all levels of hockey last season(the one that comes to mind the most was at the WJC when the opposing goalie ‘passed’ the puck and somehow managed to get a piece of Crosby with his stick) and was injury latent.

My last point is not a self-weakness rather a perpetrated-weakness: Many people believe and expect Crosby to be the NHL savior. But alas that is not happening until a few years(22+), if ever.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
Sidney will just have to adjust his game if his size won't let him play how he did in juniors. The greats all do it. Lemieux did. When he lost his speed he started being more of a playmaker. As Gretzky aged he played smarter. That's what separates the generational players from the superbly talented players(Forsberg, Lindros). Those 2 have not learned to adjust their game to prolong their careers and allow them to be put up there with the greats. Speaking in terms of pure talent those two are some of the best the NHL has seen.

If Sid has the hockey sense and intelligence everyone raves about, he will adjust and find a way to utilize his talents in the pro game. If not, he'll be added to the long list of guys with all the tools that couldn't put it all together. I see him becoming more of a Joe Sakic type player because of his size. I'd love to see him to go a speed skating school one of these summers to help him gain that extra afterburner gear.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
EroCaps said:
Size and pure speed. The latter not being a weakness so much as it is a notch below other elite young phenoms, i.e Ovechkin and Kovalchuck.

I don't think his shot is on par w/Nash, Kovalchuck, and Ovechkin either.
Crosby may be "slower" than the Ruskies, but his overall skating (movement, strength, etc.) is unparalleled by any prospect I have ever seen.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
pei fan said:
Take a closer look.Ronning and Fleury were 18/19 when they put up Crosby type numbers.Also overall scoring was much higher even in the WHL.Fleury and
Ronning probably didn't even win the scoring races all of those years.They
certainly didn't for some of them and not for all of CHL.

The reason for the hype is VERY SIMPLE. NOBODY(not Lemiuex or Gretzky or
anyone) has done the things this kid has at ages 16 and 17.

I'll give you that Fleury and Ronning were both older than Crosby when they put up those numbers and I'll give you that the scoring back then, even in the WHL was much higher, but I won't give you that Gretzky wasn't as special at 16 / 17 as Crosby. Lemieux... maybe to a point, but he had shown signs of greatness when he was 17. Gretzky showed that he was special when he was just 10! The guy got 378 goals and a 120 assists in just 85 games!!! Even though it's just pee wee, you can tell Gretzky was special from a very early age. And at 16/17, Gretzky had 184 pts in 62 games with the Greyhounds. Remember this was back in the low scoring 70's and not the high scoring 80's. At 17/18, the guy played with grown man in the WHA and still put up 104 points in 72 games. I don't know. If Crosby can't get close to 90 - 100 points in his first season in the new NHL (no 2 line passes and all), then I don't think he'll ever live up to the hype.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Azdinator said:

Kryptonite. Yeah, that's got to be it.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He just doesn't have the size to dominate the game the same way Lindros could. That's not really a knock, or me saying he isn't a special player, but his size is one thing that's stopping him from completely dominating the NHL.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
King'sPawn said:
He just doesn't have the size to dominate the game the same way Lindros could. That's not really a knock, or me saying he isn't a special player, but his size is one thing that's stopping him from completely dominating the NHL.
Just like Wayne. :p:

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
someguy44 said:
And at 16/17, Gretzky had 184 pts in 62 games with the Greyhounds. Remember this was back in the low scoring 70's and not the high scoring 80's. /QUOTE]
It was a high scoring era in the OHL. Gretzky didn't even win the scoring race.
As far as prior junior experience Crosby played against older and better
competition much earlier than Gretzky did.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
someguy44 said:

Theo Fleury:

or

They showed him get measured at the NHL central scouting combine and he was 5"10 and a quarter so esentially 5"10 and a half inch.

This is only half an inch shorter than Sakic and Yzerman and is 4 inches taller than Fluery.

His game is also different than Fleurys he has a supreme hockey sense and vision on the ice.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
JDB3939 said:
Sidney will just have to adjust his game if his size won't let him play how he did in juniors. The greats all do it. Lemieux did. When he lost his speed he started being more of a playmaker. As Gretzky aged he played smarter. That's what separates the generational players from the superbly talented players(Forsberg, Lindros). Those 2 have not learned to adjust their game to prolong their careers and allow them to be put up there with the greats. Speaking in terms of pure talent those two are some of the best the NHL has seen.

If Sid has the hockey sense and intelligence everyone raves about, he will adjust and find a way to utilize his talents in the pro game. If not, he'll be added to the long list of guys with all the tools that couldn't put it all together. I see him becoming more of a Joe Sakic type player because of his size. I'd love to see him to go a speed skating school one of these summers to help him gain that extra afterburner gear.
I dont get it? ive watched the kid a few times and it looks like he is a burner to me, I've seen him split the D twice in one game :dunno: does he really need to be even faster to hang in the show?

Also, you say Crosby's size is his only downfall. What size do you think he will be when he fills out at 22 or23 years old? I'd say 6"0 205.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad