The credibility of teenagers on the WCH rosters

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
There are teenagers, that without any doubt earned their place on the roster. For example Martin Necas.

But there are many of them, they are questionable. Lets take also Czech Team - Martin Kaut. Dont say, he is the worst one. But i cant see many of older and more experienced Czech players, that could easily take his place. And be more valuable.

And we could see that on other teams. Why actually take the coaches such young guys? Why didn't want they to make their teams as best as it is possible?

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Why didn't want they to make their teams as best as it is possible?
They wanted their team to be as good as possible... That's why they brought them.

Reactions: Morrison

Babula

May 31, 2012
filip Chytil mediocre aswell... so far.

Necas credibility is another story...

Anyway, I like this thread, thank you Alko.

Last edited:

Babula

May 31, 2012
Why didn't want they to make their teams as best as it is possible?
They wanted their team to be as good as possible... That's why they brought them.

yeah but they want help them with their grow that is the sense to have whc every year. this is not best on best.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
As for Martin Kaut - I don't like this example. I mean yeah, if you look at his statistics in czech league you will sure find players that have better numbers. And for sure nobody in December would expect him to be make WHC squad (he is still not registered though). The thing is that he had a great second half of the season and also showed up in the play-off serie. Then he was called-up for the camp and continued his good play in the pre-tournament games (not sure if you saw those games). And not only played well but also scoring points. He made it this far well deserved IMO. Another plus for him is that he is a universal player and a hardworker.

Reactions: Jablkon

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
yeah but they want help them with their grow that is the sense to have whc every year. this is not best on best.
It isn't, but that doesn't mean they don't want the best team they can get out of the players they have available. No team has really ever used their worlds roster to "help them grow", just take a look at the teenagers last year, where you'll find guys like Aho, Keller, & McAvoy. Do you think they had them so they can help them grow or because they're just darn good?

Sweden's coach, Grönborg, has even said that he wants the best roster he can get.

As for the Swedish teenagers; Lias Andersson has been solid all around considering the ice time he has been given on the 4th line(he also has 1 goal in 2gp), Elias Pettersson however has struggled on a line that has struggled.

Babula

May 31, 2012
what have done mcavoy in this tournament. I can not understand. just let me say this is a great development tourney...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that most countries (Canada and USA in particular though) view this tournament at least partially as a development exercise. It's clearly easier to attract young guys to come and play (less worn down, fewer family commitments) but it's also more beneficial for those players than for established veterans. Not that my perspective perfectly matches that of Hockey Canada or USA Hockey but I would much rather take a promising young player than an established veteran even if the veteran is the better player.

Reactions: kabidjan18

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I think that most countries (Canada and USA in particular though) view this tournament at least partially as a development exercise. It's clearly easier to attract young guys to come and play (less worn down, fewer family commitments) but it's also more beneficial for those players than for established veterans. Not that my perspective perfectly matches that of Hockey Canada or USA Hockey but I would much rather take a promising young player than an established veteran even if the veteran is the better player.
When it comes to teenagers, that's not the feeling I've had about Canada, only the US, so looked up from 2014 to now; Canada's only non-1OA teenager since then is Pierre-Luc Dubois this year, and he had a pretty good season in the NHL this year. USA however usually throws in their best 1-3 teenagers per year.

Babula

May 31, 2012
does it mean. Canada has the best pool in the world. to take over on this tournament ? anyway they have taken Hlinka to Gretzky

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
When it comes to teenagers, that's not the feeling I've had about Canada, only the US, so looked up from 2014 to now; Canada's only non-1OA teenager since then is Pierre-Luc Dubois this year, and he had a pretty good season in the NHL this year. USA however usually throws in their best 1-3 teenagers per year.

It's fairly obvious from a Canadian perspective that it's in large part a development exercise. Canada doesn't send a whole team of rookies but it also often doesn't even ask elite veteran players to go. By my quick count Canada has sent a WJC eligible player to this tournament 22 times since 2010. I could be wrong but I doubt that any country other than USA has sent that many. I may actually edit this later and look into that if the rosters for other teams are easy to find.

Last edited:

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
There are teenagers, that without any doubt earned their place on the roster. For example Martin Necas.

But there are many of them, they are questionable. Lets take also Czech Team - Martin Kaut. Dont say, he is the worst one. But i cant see many of older and more experienced Czech players, that could easily take his place. And be more valuable.

And we could see that on other teams. Why actually take the coaches such young guys? Why didn't want they to make their teams as best as it is possible?
For the case of Pettersson, he should be taken regardless of age.
Usually team Sweden takes a few people from the SHL to WHC.
Pettersson was the best player in Sweden this year and was heads above anyone else. So regardless of draft position and age, you have to take him.

Babula

May 31, 2012
For the case of Pettersson, he should be taken regardless of age.
Usually team Sweden takes a few people from the SHL to WHC.
Pettersson was the best player in Sweden this year and was heads above anyone else. So regardless of draft position and age, you have to take him.

exactly. what about Lias ? I do not know him much... why he was a loan to Frolunda for example ?

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
exactly. what about Lias ? I do not know him much... why he was a loan to Frolunda for example ?
Sweden's best forward at juniors, started in Frölunda, got called to play in Rangers' AHL club, and played just enough NHL games for them to not burn an ELC year.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
no connection to HV71 ?
He did play for HV71 up until last year(he became an SHL champion with them his last year there), he chose HV71 instead of Frölunda at first because if he went to Frölunda there would be people questioning if he's taking somebody's place there since his father had been playing for Frölunda until very recently. Fast forward and he wanted his last season in the SHL to be in Frölunda where we wanted to go for the gold.

Edit: when I say started I meant started the year.

Last edited:

Babula

May 31, 2012
there is only reason to be quiet. bad weather like a storm as the canes necas :)

Babula

May 31, 2012
As for Martin Kaut - I don't like this example. I mean yeah, if you look at his statistics in czech league you will sure find players that have better numbers. And for sure nobody in December would expect him to be make WHC squad (he is still not registered though). The thing is that he had a great second half of the season and also showed up in the play-off serie. Then he was called-up for the camp and continued his good play in the pre-tournament games (not sure if you saw those games). And not only played well but also scoring points. He made it this far well deserved IMO. Another plus for him is that he is a universal player and a hardworker.
especially he is hard working on fb or twitter

Reactions: Jablkon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad