Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Does it really make a difference if he wants to give Bowness a bit more time/experience? And maybe not throw him into this, considering the tension around the team and fanbase?

There’s no issue with him taking this on to start before he gives it to Bowness.

Well the issue is that Staios also has no experience, in either of his roles. It'd be one thing if he had the track record of Jim Rutherford and was going to mentor Bowness.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If the Friedman report is true this is DeBoer and Melnyk all over again and quite frankly a joke. Here am I making posts trying to be level headed and open minded and it's potentially all about the money, again, for the umpteenth time in this franchises history.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Friedman said money may have been an issue, as well as Berube not seeing the team as a playoff team.

He never said money was the only issue and why Berube isn't hired, unless there was another recent interview where he said something different than the one I listened to on the Marek show, or I misheard

That quote misrepresents what he actually said as though it was a direct quote

If he was lookinh for 5/6 million nobody should be surprised we never paid 20+ million for the coach

Paraphrased "I do think there was some financial hurdles, he's in another stratosphere, and I think Berube was looking elsehere as a better fit team wise"

Last edited:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
If they weren't willing to pay big money for Berube that kind of tells me they don't think too highly of this group of players...

I think it's looking more and more likely that the team is going to retool.

Reactions: h2 and Relapsing

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Oh yes he's clearly showed that's the type of guy he is.

Friedman said on Marek's show that money was the issue with Berube. And as far as I can tell, we still have a skeleton front office.

So same philosophy from a better speaker in a nicer suit.

Reactions: Relapsing
Oct 10, 2010
If they weren't willing to pay big money for Berube that kind of tells me they don't think too highly of this group of players...

I think it's looking more and more likely that the team is going to retool.
We need a good retool good portion of our roster isn’t NHL caliber Berube or not team needs basically whole new bottom 6 and at least 3 new D man that play rough and tough on top of a new goalie that can save a beach ball.

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Friedman said money may have been an issue, as well as Berube not seeing the team as a playoff team.

He never said money was the issue, unless there was another recent interview where he said something different than the one I listened to on the Marek show, or I misheard

That quote misrepresents what he actually said as though it was a direct quote

If he was lookinh for 5/6 million nobody should be surprised we never paid 20+ million for the coach

The unfortunate thing is 5-6M is the going rate for a good coach in 2024. And it'll only go up.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11
Oct 10, 2010
Friedman said on Marek's show that money was the issue with Berube. And as far as I can tell, we still have a skeleton front office.

So same philosophy from a better speaker in a nicer suit.
Until proven otherwise you’re correct and now reports coming out that Pinto and team have a gap to figure out … Are they deciding to cut back on spending next year ?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
We need a good retool good portion of our roster isn’t NHL caliber Berube or not team needs basically whole new bottom 6 and at least 3 new D man that play rough and tough on top of a new goalie that can save a beach ball.

Elite coaches can hide roster holes better than any other hire. If the team has holes it's almost more imperative to bring in the right coach.

Boucher (however short lives his impact was) led a team with massive holes to the ECF. No single player or hire (short of prime Dominik Hasek) would make more of an impact on this team than the right coach. If the Senators narrowed in on Berube as "their guy" and let it fall apart over money it's just more of the same from a franchise that has (almost) always nickled and dimed their way through things.

Oct 10, 2010
Elite coaches can hide roster holes better than any other hire. If the team has holes it's almost more imperative to bring in the right coach.

Boucher (however short lives his impact was) led a team with massive holes to the ECF. No single player or hire (short of prime Dominik Hasek) would make more of an impact on this team than the right coach. If the Senators narrowed in on Berube as "their guy" and let it fall apart over money it's just more of the same from a franchise that has (almost) always nickled and dimed their way through things.
And you wonder why they haven’t made the playoffs for 7 straight years ..

If Berube was the guy you gotta pay him bottom line instead of paying Green2-3M per give Berube double and be happy you signed the best coach available.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
DJ initially signed for 3 years. Extended for another 2 with an option for an additional year after.

Paulrus signed an initial 2 year contract, won the Jack Adams, and was extended another 3.

Boucher did sign a 3 year contract, yes.

No one you've listed was given a 4 year contract out of the gate.

You think people are looking for reasons to complain: I think this franchise keeps gifting us reasons to complain, and it's getting real tiring.
I'm talking about how long they were here for though, whether the initial contract is 2,3, or 4, coaches tend to have lasted 3+ years, so why is an initial 4 year deal an issue?

I think the evidence is 20+ pages long right now that people are looking to complain

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

So instead of paying market value for a good coach, we give a crap coach too much term.

Save a penny to waste a dollar. Where have we seen this before?

I feel like Obi Wan yelling at Anakin:

200.gif

It's like Andlauer was brainstorming the catchphrase he wanted to use for his opening press conference, scribbling notes with his BIC pen.

BIC.

B.I.C.

Best In Class.

Genius

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Everything I've seen about the type of person he is. You're forgetting we've been fans for decades. We knew who green was when he was a prospect. We knew who he was when he was breaking into the league. We know who he was when he retired.

Did he magically change? If so, I'd like to see proof.

Also, his record looks awful. The complaints about him sound awful.

What are the positives with statistical evidence of those positive attributes?

See, the thing is, his record indicates much more negative than positive.. so if a piece is mostly positive, you know it's a fluff piece.

With his track record, you would expect 75% of the article to be negative if it was very accurate...if it's 75% positive, it's clearly not accurately displaying the results.
I agree there’s definite concern. But to say it’s the worst hire ever or whatever…
We need to give him a chance and give management the benefit of the doubt.
At least one season

Not a good look.

Is this going to be Melynk all over again ? Why are we shying away spending few extra million on a coach with an actual track record ? So disappointing that Green wasn’t our first choice and basically only hired because we could afford him.

If that was the deciding factor then it’s a complete joke.

Reactions: h2

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

That team was a battle tested veteran group with one last playoff run in it.

To be fair to Green or anyone we would have hired, that was an easier job IMO.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I'm talking about how long they were here for though, whether the initial contract is 2,3, or 4, coaches tend to have lasted 3+ years, so why is an initial 4 year deal an issue?

I think the evidence is 20+ pages long right now that people are looking to complain
Look, I don't think we're going to see eye to eye here Mickle, but here's my take:

We didn't need to commit 4 years. We could have committed 2, and extended him if he proved he was worth it.

By committing 4 years, we commit to paying him all 4 years regardless, unless some team decides to scoop him up after we get fed up with him. We'd be lucky if that were the case at the end of this experiment.

It is a waste of money for a franchise everyone seems to understand can't waste money, and yet another attempt by an owner of this franchise to save money in the short term at the expense of long term success.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don’t even care about Berube (he’s overrated), but Green was in no way the only other option. If you’re so far in talks with the guy that’s low in demand, at least wait to see what happens with Keefe.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I agree there’s definite concern. But to say it’s the worst hire ever or whatever…
We need to give him a chance and give management the benefit of the doubt.
At least one season

If that was the deciding factor then it’s a complete joke.

This is where I'm at too, I have literally zero enthusiasm about Green as the HC, and last week I was ready to take a pause as a fan if things went down this road. When I look at the team as a whole, the coach is just one piece of the puzzle, and I have more questions about the core of the team than I do with Green's coaching ability.

Is our core good enough? Is it properly balanced? I think that's the bigger concern right now. I like Tkachuk/Stutzle/Sanderson as core players, but I don't think it's enough. Trading 1sts for the last few years is a major setback (with a future 1st still to be surrendered). I'm going to see what management can do to rectify this before I give up on them.

Oct 10, 2010
Realistically what did they think Berube was going to cost? He was the best coach available ffs

Clearly Staios is a very patient man not sure if that’s gonna be a good thing for roster turnover I personally wanna see lots of change this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad