Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Where was that hindsight in Dec 2021 or Jan 2023?

"I get that AV sucks but what is with the big obsession with Tocchet? He's 178-200-60 and made the playoffs once"

"I just don't get the obsession with Tocchet

His track record his Dallas Eakins esque"

Sure but he still doesn't have Tocchet's resume

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm naturally dissapointed to see another coach who's had very little success be on top of the list but it seems to make a lot of sense based on what this team needs. It's a bit frustrating because this team has been through so many coaches and it seems like we never find the winning recipe behind the bench and I'm not convinced he's that guy.

That said Green is a guy who expects his players to play fast and hard. He holds guys accountable whoever they may be and there's consequences if guys don't play well. He's played in the league and he's apparently fair with players as well. I don't know about the details of the game but this is what I've seen based on a few guys talking about him (Sedin/ Shane O'Brien/ Upshall). Seems like players like him.

Evason fits that motto as well. Expects guys to play hard and with structure. NHL experience.

Whoever it may be I just hope the players take the coach seriously and I hope the coach is able to get some much needed mojo to his players. Berube would've really been the choice here. He has all those qualities and he's won the cup. Type of guy who commands respects and no one can say anything to him since he's already proved to have what it takes.
All coaches expect their players to play fast and hard

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Is Staios looking for rooking coach for the same reason Dorion did? No upward pressure?

Maybe all the other coaches are looking to win today while our management team thinks we're many years away?

Or maybe this is all a ploy to get our actual candidate to accept the offer before other positions open up.
Well staios has the job because he’s the owners friend. And yeah I’m sure he doesn’t want anything disrupting that

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
After all the exhaustive searching and interviews and focus on getting the exact right guy, this is what they come up with?

f*** off
What does that tell you about what they wanted?

A. He fit what they wanted
B. He didn’t fit what they wanted

It’s not like they weren’t talking to a load of coaches, many of whom were guys wanted here.

He’s not who I wanted, but hes who the GM wanted

flyingfingers

Mar 6, 2024
Wait to kick off the summer Steve and Michael.

Next news to expect:

• Senators pausing plans to move downtown. Andlauer likes how accessible CTC is for residents of Kanata and Barrhaven.
• Senators trade Jakob Chychrun to Florida for 2nd round pick in 2026. Like the look of that draft class.

This is what I expected. Andlauer has a much more polished facade, but he's a small town owner who watches his wallet very carefully. This is a nickle and dime hire for a franchise that will continue nickle and diming every part of the operation.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think it's less about coaches not making a difference, and more about fans ability to actually determine the difference a coach makes tends to be limited.

Hell, MacLean was runner up and winner of the Jack Adams, yet most here seem to have thought he was a terrible coach, Boucher took us to the ECF, and people think he was terrible. Do we think Babcock would have done better at the helm than either of those guys? Honestly, it's hard to say.

People thought that Maurice was a bad coach when he was with the leafs, Missed the playoffs in 13 out of 18 of his years as HC until the Jets turned things around a he's been in the playoffs 6 out of 7 years between two teams, with a WCF and trip the cup finals to his name.

From the outside looking in, it's not easy to evaluate a coach, thats all.
Every coach is a loser until they win. Absolutely. But there are winners available. And we are choosing a bad track record. Maclean was a good coach. And Boucher is a good tactician.

As with everything in life. Wait and see.

But korpisalo is gonna have to be at his absolute best for this to work

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
What does that tell you about what they wanted?

A. He fit what they wanted
B. He didn’t fit what they wanted

It’s not like they weren’t talking to a load of coaches, many of whom were guys wanted here.

He’s not who I wanted, but hes who the GM wanted
Smell ya later, "benefit of the doubt".

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Wait to kick off the summer Steve and Michael.

Next news to expect:

• Senators pausing plans to move downtown. Andlauer likes how accessible CTC is for residents of Kanata and Barrhaven.
• Senators trade Jakob Chychrun to Florida for 2nd round pick in 2026. Like the look of that draft class.

This is what I expected. Andlauer has a much more polished facade, but he's a small town owner who watches his wallet very carefully.
We could have had Ryan f***ING Reynolds

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I think most of the optimism here is purely because Staios isn't Dorion and we 'want' him to be good.

This is a tremendously uninspiring hire. Quite frankly, absolutely nothing Staios has done has led me to believe he'll do a good job. Benefit of the doubt... just getting atarted... yeah-yeah-yeah.. It's time to show us something.

Waited way too long to act on Dorion. Waited way too long to act on Smith. Did nothing at all at the deadline or throughout the season to help the team either. Waited (too long?) to hire a coach. Now hiring a head coach that's on his third job without ever having any success. You can come up with some form of justification for all of those things but we're pretty close to forming a trend here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad