Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
As a fan it’s really hard to determine who is the best coach available. Is it possible the best coach in the league is on the last place team and the worst coach on the champs? I'd think that's possible. But it’s very difficult for us to know who is best to take a young team and develop it to contender status. They would have to share their plan and thinking. We'd have to have a measure of the man.

But all we have to go on as fans is how much experience do they have. So we look at the experience and winning records of each coach and think the most experience with the best team records is the obvious choice. What other metric can we use? But I would hope smart management would be more diligent and selective than that.

Looking at the best coaches available right now, are any of them likely to choose a last place team or are they more likely to choose a team best set to win. And then afterwards, when they are fired, we will all look at their record and say -yeah we need that coach.

It was often the coach that was on a team that had the greatest change in standings position from the previous year that is awarded the Jack Adams. Then the next year he is fired. Maybe the record isn’t so meaningful when judging coaches. But i dont know what else to use.
Agree with some of your thoughts. When you’re not in the dressing room, on the bench, or on the ice during practices, you don’t have much info to go on. You can look at the track record I suppose, but in general, there’s not a lot the average fan can go on I’d think (jmho).

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Just give me a coach who is prepared, professional and instilled accountability in the team leadership. That’s all I ask outside of at least 1 former D on the staff.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Berube or Nelson as top choices, both for different reasons.

Anyone after that feels like we're settling for a lesser option (excluding if Cooper, Sullivan or Rod the Bod were ever available).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don’t think it makes much sense for Staios to carry the baggage of the previous regime into this coaching hire.

I think experience is a plus and should be a factor, but it shouldn’t automatically disqualify anyone else.
Agreed! As an outsider its very hard to critique a coaching hire in my opinion we really have no idea. Staios has forgot more about hockey than any of us know so I wont be judging anything until the end of next season when I can see how the team reacts to the coach over 82 games.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Agreed! As an outsider its very hard to critique a coaching hire in my opinion we really have no idea. Staios has forgot more about hockey than any of us know so I wont be judging anything until the end of next season when I can see how the team reacts to the coach over 82 games.
Exactly. We aren't going to know if it was the right hire for a long while. The name isn't the important part even though it can be hard to let go as an outsider.

Reactions: Icelevel

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I would probably give up being a Sens fan if this management hired Travis Green. It’s already difficult to not judge negatively for even interviewing him.

Green is absolute garbage.

This. He was a cry baby rat of a player. Wouldn't want that mentality around the team.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
My thoughts are the same. I don’t see how I can judge Staois or the new coach whomever that happens to be until a full season has transpired.

Let's remember that after the Summer of Pierre people were pretty excited and then we had another bad season. There’s lots to be learned from history.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
My thoughts are the same. I don’t see how I can judge Staois or the new coach whomever that happens to be until a full season has transpired.

Let's remember that after the Summer of Pierre people were pretty excited and then we had another bad season. There’s lots to be learned from history.
Really? If they hire some AHL guy with no head coaching experience at the NHL level, you're going to fully reserve your judgement until after game 82?

Here's another way to look at it: we were told that "Best in Class" principles would be applied throughout the organization. This team clearly needs a veteran, experienced coach with an excellent resume to come in and guide this team through their growth phase into a consistent playoff team.

How would going out and getting a first-time coach like a Nelson or a Gruden or even a Green or anyone of that ilk be "Best in Class"? We need experience throughout the organization. The GM/POHO is inexperienced. The coaching staff, if it's a Nelson/Gruden, will be inexperienced. The roster is inexperienced. Like, wtf? What are we doing? We're supposed to be turning a corner. It looks like we'll be turning until we're right back where we were.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Dating the hottest girl may look good, doesn’t mean there is any compatibility.
Ideally she’s hot and super compatible ;)

That sounds like Berube here to be honest.
Experienced
Winner
Holds players accountable
Likely immediate buy in from the captain

Wtf do I know…I’ll support whoever the choose. (Except maybe Green lol)

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Really? If they hire some AHL guy with no head coaching experience at the NHL level, you're going to fully reserve your judgement until after game 82?

Here's another way to look at it: we were told that "Best in Class" principles would be applied throughout the organization. This team clearly needs a veteran, experienced coach with an excellent resume to come in and guide this team through their growth phase into a consistent playoff team.

How would going out and getting a first-time coach like a Nelson or a Gruden or even a Green or anyone of that ilk be "Best in Class"? We need experience throughout the organization. The GM/POHO is inexperienced. The coaching staff, if it's a Nelson/Gruden, will be inexperienced. The roster is inexperienced. Like, wtf? What are we doing? We're supposed to be turning a corner. It looks like we'll be turning until we're right back where we were.
So much negativity! Stop letting your PTSD scar tissue control your discourse.

I really do trust our brass until they make some bad moves, and I'll even give them next year before I change that feeling. They're investing in most if not every aspect from the top down.

All Sens fans really need a phycologist to help us through the Melnyk era trauma amiright?

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

I really do trust our brass until they make some bad moves, and I'll even give them next year before I change that feeling. They're investing in most if not every aspect from the top down.

All Sens fans really need a phycologist to help us through the Melnyk era trauma amiright?
Trust is typically earned. You're talking about giving them the benefit of the doubt.

This is the first big addition this management group will be making.

They get the benefit of the doubt for now, and making the right move here will help engender trust.

Best in class doesn't mean that it has to be an NHL grey beard who was fired by another team
No, but it does mean hiring the best of the bunch that most suits the team they want to build, and the players on it.

If it comes down to a Grey beard who's proven and has found success, vs someone green who's taking their first crack at an NHL coaching job? Hiring the green horn doesn't scream best in class now, does it.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
And for the last time, pens fans are not a reliable narrator, that team has been plagued with depth issues for ages because of how much they've had to spend on their top guys, so this year lat your or 5 years ago, it doesn't really matter, the roster has always had issues and they always been unwilling to recognize that so they blame the coach.
While the Pens currently have depth issues, it does not compare to how ineffective our bottom 6 have been for basically 10+ years now. I am not sure why Penguins fans opinions on Sullivan are irrelevant, or matter less than what fans of other teams who never had him coach their team. Comments like the one below are a dime a dozen among their fanbase. One of my best friends is a pens fans, and I have been hearing the same complaints about Sully for years now, they are the same complaints that Keefe gets from the national media here.

If you’re relying on what Mike Sullivan did in 2016 as a judge for what kind of coach he is today, I have some really bad news for you :laugh:

The comments above about Keefe are basically the same things Penguins fans say about Sullivan. He never makes any systematic changes, even when he’s being countered, while just saying “we need to get to our game” or some other cliche like that.

Let’s just put it this way: Dubas added Karlsson to the Penguins top PP last off-season and their powerplay had Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Karlsson and Letang on it. Guess how it finished? 3rd last in the NHL, while Sullivan made literally zero attempts of changes beyond swapping out Letang for Rust or Rakell. The Penguins missed the playoffs this year due to their powerplay and Sullivan tried literally nothing to fix it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No, but it does mean hiring the best of the bunch that most suits the team they want to build, and the players on it.

If it comes down to a Grey beard who's proven and has found success, vs someone green who's taking their first crack at an NHL coaching job? Hiring the green horn doesn't scream best in class now, does it.

They are hiring the best of the bunch that suits their team, there's your answer. If they have two guys who they think are equal, which is definitely not the case, they would go with the experienced guy.

If that's a grey beard, great.

If that's not, great.

People are getting upset because they might not be hiring experience, legitimately has nothing to do with what they want to suit the team. If the experience doesn't fit what they want, that's not best in class. That's just hiring experience for the sake of hiring experience, that would be absolutely terrible

Knobloch was the guy that fit the Oilers, they didn't care he never brought the experience that the 10 other available guys did. He fit their team and was best in class for them. If Staios goes that route, perfect.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd rather Gruden or Nelson even ...

Gruden > T Green

Nelson > T Green
Gruden over Green why? Green has had way more success played in the league for along time and way more NHL experience.

I would probably give up being a Sens fan if this management hired Travis Green. It’s already difficult to not judge negatively for even interviewing him.

Green is absolute garbage.
How do you know this? Id love to know. Players like Shane Obrien and Scotty Upshall seem to like him. Think he's a good coach and they have actual relationships with players and people in the league.

13 years of coaching experience. Almost 1000 NHL games. 7 seasons of an NHL head coach, 4 seasons as an AHL head coach and 1 season as WHL head coach and GM.

I find coachs in their second tour of duty have the best NHL results. He's a good age he's 53. He knows the modern player but knows what it takes to compete and win. Frankie Corrado had him as a coach their mantra on an AHL playoff championship run was start heavy. He coached an aggressive heavy hockey mantra. Exactly what this team needs to embrace as they are so soft.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

This guys been hating on them since they took over and all he did was defend the last management group and patronize people. His opinion doesnt matter its an agenda. But good on you with the level headed response.

You are right to trust them, they are doing exactly the opposite of the previous regime. Taking their time, evaluating and enacting a legitimate well thought out plan. No emotional responses, no unnecessary trades just to make them. Its been a long time since this organization and hockey ops have been run by real professionals. Sens fans especially all the new ones that are on twitter that dont represent the fan base at all just have never seen this type of management. These are the people that loved Pierre. Summer of pierre lol look how that worked out. this franchise has been set back 5 years. Its a big mess to clean up but thankfully we have committed ownership and methodical management. The last time we had management like this was with Marshall Johnston which built this team into a contender for a decade. Most fans that post here werent even sens fans at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad