CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Hamilton had no problem slaughtering bad teams all season, no surprise they're doing it again here. Next week's game should be a lot more compelling.

Looks great on Mickey Maas, missing the playoffs because he couldn't finish ahead of this sad-sack Lions team with the defending MVP at QB. But he's back for next season, so the other 4 western teams can already pencil themselves into the playoffs.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Hamilton had no problem slaughtering bad teams all season, no surprise they're doing it again here. Next week's game should be a lot more compelling.

Looks great on Mickey Maas, missing the playoffs because he couldn't finish ahead of this sad-sack Lions team with the defending MVP at QB. But he's back for next season, so the other 4 western teams can already pencil themselves into the playoffs.

Masoli is career 2-8 vs Redblacks, including 0-3 this season. Game at TD Place. As a Redblacks fan, I’m pumped! These teams always play a tight game, entertaining.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Masoli is career 2-8 vs Redblacks, including 0-3 this season. Game at TD Place. As a Redblacks fan, I’m pumped! These teams always play a tight game, entertaining.

Masoli has played 10 career games against Ottawa already? Can't all be as a starter can they?

I think Ottawa probably opens favoured by 3.5 to 4.5 points. As good as the TiCats looked today, there's really no aspect of the game where I feel they have an edge on Ottawa. Trevor Harris having a dud of a game would be my biggest concern from a Redblacks perspective. Ward vs Hiralaju on field goals is an advantage for Ottawa that might not get talked about much.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Masoli has played 10 career games against Ottawa already? Can't all be as a starter can they?

I think Ottawa probably opens favoured by 3.5 to 4.5 points. As good as the TiCats looked today, there's really no aspect of the game where I feel they have an edge on Ottawa. Trevor Harris having a dud of a game would be my biggest concern from a Redblacks perspective. Ward vs Hiralaju on field goals is an advantage for Ottawa that might not get talked about much.

It started in 2015 when Collaros went down and Hamilton ended the season with two games against Ottawa and an East Final. I looked up the boxscores myself and they were just games Masoli appeared in, I think maybe one game was split with someone else, but I didn't go as in depth to look at if he actually started or if he got pulled for a bad game.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Jeffcoat will get a fine for that hit. But the Bombers dominated that game and deserved to win. Two VERY questionable PI calls are the only reason it was close.

Onto Calgary. Calgary hasn't been great lately but it will still be a very tough game. I'm expecting a close game.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Maybe next time the Riders will actually attempt to address their QB needs. I hear theres a former MVP on the market.

Hilarious how the refs missed that high hit at the end though
Just CFL things. Bring on Calgary

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Do you have a gut feel about Reilly returning or not? Lions fan here hoping Hervey can make a splash and get him back in BC.

Hard to tell what's true, and what is misdirection by the Eskimos themselves. There was a rumour going around that Reilly would only return to the Eskimos if Maas was retained. But there's a possibility that the organization themselves started that rumour, knowing that retaining Maas was going to be wildly unpopular among the fanbase. But they could then claim that they had to keep Maas to keep Reilly, whether or not it is actually true.

At this point, I can scarcely muster the will to care whether he leaves or not. The organization is completely screwed as long as Maas is the head coach. You could have the greatest QB of all time out on the field and it would not overcome that level of incompetence on the sidelines. Much like the bulk of Ricky Ray's Hall of Fame career was wasted by Danny Maciocia, most of Reilly's has been wasted by Maas.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The Riders need an OC with half a brain as much as they need a new QB. Two things really stick out in the second half. One, the decision to bring in Watford for a random play on 1st down inside the 20 after Bridge just marched them down the field. What the hell is the point of this? Everyone in the world knows you didn't send him in to throw a pass. Surprise, surprise, Winnipeg stuffs the predictable hand-off and now Bridge gets thrown back out there in a known passing situation needing 12 yards. Two, is the decision to throw a 40 yard bomb down field on 2nd and 3 at midfield early in the 4th quarter, down just a single point. Jason Maas may as well have called that play.

I sure hope Winnipeg has it in them to keep Calgary out of the Grey Cup, but I'm not holding my breath. The Riders have Bo-Levi's number and were definitely the best bet to take down the Stamps. The Bombers haven't won in Calgary in a situation where the Stamps weren't resting starters in 16 years. I guess they're due?

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Jeffcoat will get a fine for that hit. But the Bombers dominated that game and deserved to win. Two VERY questionable PI calls are the only reason it was close.

Onto Calgary. Calgary hasn't been great lately but it will still be a very tough game. I'm expecting a close game.

The CFL just released a statement about the missed call. To be fair to Saskatchewan, that was a brutal hit. If they make the call, Sask has a better chance at a big gain then end zone shot.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I have a funny feeling the Bombers are going to beat Calgary next week.

The one year the Bombers decide to get off their asses and do something is the year i'm stuck like an hour outside Sydney and not there to celebrate it. Of course.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The Riders need an OC with half a brain as much as they need a new QB. Two things really stick out in the second half. One, the decision to bring in Watford for a random play on 1st down inside the 20 after Bridge just marched them down the field. What the hell is the point of this? Everyone in the world knows you didn't send him in to throw a pass. Surprise, surprise, Winnipeg stuffs the predictable hand-off and now Bridge gets thrown back out there in a known passing situation needing 12 yards. Two, is the decision to throw a 40 yard bomb down field on 2nd and 3 at midfield early in the 4th quarter, down just a single point. Jason Maas may as well have called that play.

I sure hope Winnipeg has it in them to keep Calgary out of the Grey Cup, but I'm not holding my breath. The Riders have Bo-Levi's number and were definitely the best bet to take down the Stamps. The Bombers haven't won in Calgary in a situation where the Stamps weren't resting starters in 16 years. I guess they're due?

Ironically enough, Maas left a huge stamp on the Redblacks from when he left. The team is still employing his no huddle, fast-paced offence and it got us a Grey Cup.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The CFL just released a statement about the missed call. To be fair to Saskatchewan, that was a brutal hit. If they make the call, Sask has a better chance at a big gain then end zone shot.

The hit had no little or no bearing on the game. There was 8 seconds left. Watford was not going to come in and hit a short pass in 5 seconds and heave up a ball another 40 yards for the TD against one of the top Ds in the league.

Better chance? lol, yeah goes from 1% probability to 2% and I'm being generous considering the QB. Riders were only in that position thanks to the previous gifted PI on the previous drive - receiver runs right into defensive back and all the holding the refs allowed the inferior Rider line to get away with. Guess they had to make the game seem closer than it was with the Bombers gaining over 350 yards vs. Saskatchewan's 200.

Better team won and now it's off to Calgary. I won't lie...I don't think the Bombers win but with all of Calgary's injuries they should have a decent chance.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Ironically enough, Maas left a huge stamp on the Redblacks from when he left. The team is still employing his no huddle, fast-paced offence and it got us a Grey Cup.

Might be more of a Rick Campbell thing. There's been nothing of the sort in Edmonton. The offense is as unimaginative as it was during the dark days of Danny Maciocia. Maas took back OC duties this season and the offense got steadily worse as the season wore on. But good thing he's not getting fired...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Rose thrown out and he leaves waving to the an with a smile on his face. I hope that boils the blood of the Ticats as much as it did me! He is acting like the game is won already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese