Post-Game Talk: The Brick WOLL to the rescue - Leafs win !!!

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Has to be one more win or one more regulation loss for Florida

Basically if the Leafs beat the Panthers next game in regulation they clinch

Edit - actually the Leafs have more ROW than the Panthers .. so if the Leafs get one more point they should clinch because they'd hold the tiebreaker.

Florida can only tie us now they have 79 points with 9 games remaining, meaning 18 possible points, 79 + 18 = 97. so we would lose the tiebreaker in that scenario unless a bunch of those 9 wins came in OT.

The greater number of games won, excluding games won in Overtime or by Shootout (i.e., "Regulation Wins"). This figure is reflected in the RW column.
The greater number of games won, excluding games won by Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

we have 37 RW to there 31 but if they won all in regulation they would end up with 40 so they would win the tiebreaker, if they won 6 games in regulation and 3 in OT we would tie in ROW. then it would go by wins which again if they tied us they would have more. so we essentially don't win the tie breaker thats why we havent clinched yet

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Like I told you guys 2 or 3 years ago Woll was our top prospect .. he has figured out his angles/positioning better as a pro player over past 3 years which was his issue (odd man situations) .. he was always our best tender in 1 on 1s with shooters even 3 years ago .. but bottom line Murray will start game 1 and if he f*cks up then Sammy will get game 2 and if he f*cks up Woll will get game 3 .. watch it all play out .. but I think Murray is a big game tender and he and ROR should take us to round 2

Reactions: Teeder Keon

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It's not even worth the effort calculating the odds, they've effectively clinched. Only an historical collapse coupled with a near perfect record by the Panthers and scorching finishes by both the Pens & Isles would see the Leafs miss the post-season.

On a side note, and completely meaningless in the context of things, this is likely going to be the first season in Matthews' career where he finishes with more assists than goals.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
It was great to see Barrie finally show why I was so glad we traded Kadri for him

So… if Woll needs waivers next year, and I believe he does, something’s gotta give.
I have read the bolded part now 7 times and I still don't know what to make of the comment. Based on Barrie's play against us yesterday, you are still happy we traded Kadri to get him, even though Barrie isn't even a Leaf anymore? If you said Kerfoot instead of Barrie, then I could at least understand what you were saying ( I would vehemently disagree though that we are better with Kerfoot in our lineup than Kadri), but unless I'm reading it wrong (which very well could be the case), I don't understand how you are happy that Barrie "showed" anything last night.........

I have no doubt Woll is our back up next year, and the decision in net comes down to Samsonov or Murray. I think Murray has showed he has value and can be traded. Worst case scenario he can be bought out at a cost of $700K for next year and $2M for his final contract year in 24/25. Easy decision to re-sign Samsonov for less than what Murray is being paid and keep Woll.

There is no way that Woll will be exposed to Waivers and lost to keep Murray and Samsonov. Absolutely no way. If they did, it would show 1000% that Dubas has no clue how to assess goalies and build a Team. To his credit, I don't see that being a worry at all.

Nice win for the boys. I was hoping for Woll to get the shutout, and nice to Tavares pot a couple. He doesn't get enough credit.

Still vehemently disagree on sitting Liljegren to play Holl, but I've enjoyed watching Schenn. He makes people suffer standing in front of our net. Gotta love that.

Reactions: Rocker13 and geo25

pdson

Apr 14, 2014
Florida can only tie us now they have 79 points with 9 games remaining, meaning 18 possible points, 79 + 18 = 97. so we would lose the tiebreaker in that scenario unless a bunch of those 9 wins came in OT.

The greater number of games won, excluding games won in Overtime or by Shootout (i.e., "Regulation Wins"). This figure is reflected in the RW column.
The greater number of games won, excluding games won by Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.

we have 37 RW to there 31 but if they won all in regulation they would end up with 40 so they would win the tiebreaker, if they won 6 games in regulation and 3 in OT we would tie in ROW. then it would go by wins which again if they tied us they would have more. so we essentially don't win the tie breaker thats why we havent clinched yet
Basically the magic number is 1 point. Any 1 point gained by the Leafs or lost by the Panthers equals clinched.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Like I told you guys 2 or 3 years ago Woll was our top prospect .. he has figured out his angles/positioning better as a pro player over past 3 years which was his issue (odd man situations) .. he was always our best tender in 1 on 1s with shooters even 3 years ago .. but bottom line Murray will start game 1 and if he f*cks up then Sammy will get game 2 and if he f*cks up Woll will get game 3 .. watch it all play out .. but I think Murray is a big game tender and he and ROR should take us to round 2
I’d go with the hot hand. Woll has been Vezina quality in the A and here this season. Next year he may be merely very good, lol.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
I have no doubt Woll is our back up next year, and the decision in net comes down to Samsonov or Murray. I think Murray has showed he has value and can be traded. Worst case scenario he can be bought out at a cost of $700K for next year and $2M for his final contract year in 24/25. Easy decision to re-sign Samsonov for less than what Murray is being paid and keep Woll.
Matt Murray is only contracted for next year (23/24) and is a UFA in 24/25. Are you trying to say if he's bought out next year that we have to pay him 2M in 24/25?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I have read the bolded part now 7 times and I still don't know what to make of the comment. Based on Barrie's play against us yesterday, you are still happy we traded Kadri to get him, even though Barrie isn't even a Leaf anymore? If you said Kerfoot instead of Barrie, then I could at least understand what you were saying ( I would vehemently disagree though that we are better with Kerfoot in our lineup than Kadri), but unless I'm reading it wrong (which very well could be the case), I don't understand how you are happy that Barrie "showed" anything last night.........

There is no way that Woll will be exposed to Waivers and lost to keep Murray and Samsonov. Absolutely no way. If they did, it would show 1000% that Dubas has no clue how to assess goalies and build a Team. To his credit, I don't see that being a worry at all.

Nice win for the boys. I was hoping for Woll to get the shutout, and nice to Tavares pot a couple. He doesn't get enough credit.

Still vehemently disagree on sitting Liljegren to play Holl, but I've enjoyed watching Schenn. He makes people suffer standing in front of our net. Gotta love that.

My guess is no one wants Murray with out a decent sweetener, IMO the Leaf's carry 3 goalies to start the season, till Lou's ghost kneecap's Murray, then we are down to two.

Sammy has arb rights next year, which I think he exercises. The QO is 1.8 which is a no brainer. Under contract they have, 7 forwards, 6 dmen and 2 goalies (not including Sammy) with 8.3 mil in cap space + Muz's contract which they can send to LTIR, so they have in reality about 14 mil in cap space.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
gotta say, I think I may have been dead ass wrong on my previous assessment of Joe Woll. Prior to this season, I just felt like he never tracked the game at an NHL level. He seemed to be a half second behind on his reads and it would either make him need to make a more athletic save then needed, give up a juicy rebound, or a tap in. But I gotta say, 2023 Joe Woll looks like the real deal. Seems to be squared up to every shooter, and he is tracking the puck so well. HIs glove hand was very Riemer like before (ie. non-existent). Felt like he was trying to catch a butterfly at times. But he is all over the puck right now.

I may have grown impatient with him over time, but he really looks like the goalie I once hoped he'd become when we originally drafted him. Really nice to see. Would be incredible to have finally hit on drafting and developing a goaltender. If I am not mistaken the last goalie we have drafted and developed was the aforementioned James Riemer, and it's not like he's been a guy who can be relied on to backstop you to a cup final. Joe's 2022-23 season has been a sight for sore eyes to say the least.

Keep it up Woller!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad