OT: The Bourbon Thread

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
What's your favorite bourbon and what was the last one you had/tried?

Favorite:

Maker's Mark... Exceptionally smooth and sweet, a good wheater with a little bite at the end.

Tried:

Elijah Craig 12yr.. This is a close second as it is even more smoother than MM, but the oak can be powering. I call it, "The Oak Ness Monster".

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
What's your favorite bourbon and what was the last one you had/tried?

Favorite:

Maker's Mark... Exceptionally smooth and sweet, a good wheater with a little bite at the end.

Tried:

Elijah Craig 12yr.. This is a close second as it is even more smoother than MM, but the oak can be powering. I call it, "The Oak Ness Monster".

I like Michters US1 and Toasted Bourbon. Smooth!!

tried the knobb creek maple bourbon over xmas and that was solid. If you want to be pricey go for the 18yr old Red Breast

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I like Bulleit. I love Blanton's and Hudson Baby Bourbon. I don't know where to get the Hudson anymore, though.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Just snagged a few bottles of Weller Reserve which I couldn't find for a long while. It used to be the perfect go to, everyday pour (meaning not pricey or fancy) but ever since it was tabbed as the new Pappy, its hard to find. But its still around $30 or so you don't feel bad drinking it. That is, as long as you can get more.

My buddy just got me an interesting bottle - OYO - from Ohio. Its a blend of Ohio Wheat whiskey and bourbon. If you are into wheaters, its very good.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Btw, if anyone's in Brooklyn, you should check out the Kings County Distillery. They do a nice job and their juice is legitimately from Brooklyn. Unlike some others.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Pappi VanWinkle, nothing but I mean nothing beats it. I should know as I have been traveling over the last year into Bourbon country. I have tried them all. Woodford reserve double oak is very good.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
When I was at young pup my parents used to get soda delivered to the house from Hammer .
Someone must remember them. Used to have them get a case of ginger ale each month along with whatever else they ordered. When I went out I would grab a ginger ale and stand in front of the liquor store( when I was underage) and pay someone to buy a bottle of Jim Beam.
Jim and ginger. Oh the glory day.

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
buffalo trace has everything i want out of a bourbon and makes an excellent manhattan. price has been getting a bit steep as of late (i remember it being $25 just last year), but still worth it. benchmark (also distilled at buffalo trace) is a good everyday bourbon that's an excellent alternative to JD and a good few steps above other bottom shelfers. you won't be disappointed at $10-$11 a bottle.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
buffalo trace has everything i want out of a bourbon and makes an excellent manhattan. price has been getting a bit steep as of late (i remember it being $25 just last year), but still worth it. benchmark (also distilled at buffalo trace) is a good everyday bourbon that's an excellent alternative to JD and a good few steps above other bottom shelfers. you won't be disappointed at $10-$11 a bottle.

Haha I just came here to post Buffalo Trace is amazing, but you beat me to it. I was never a bourbon guy until I had that, and it's fantastic! Spicy to start with a smooth finish.

It's $40 with tax now. Bought my first bottle last month after I did some research online. The price that I saw listed was $25, so it's definitely gone up with good reason I suppose. I like my old fashioneds...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Pappi VanWinkle, nothing but I mean nothing beats it. I should know as I have been traveling over the last year into Bourbon country. I have tried them all. Woodford reserve double oak is very good.

Those days have come and gone my friend. Its not even worth looking for anymore. The VW 12 was the perfect bourbon. It was reasonably priced so it could be your everyday pour and it is just delicious. I used to get it for about $35 a bottle. It jumped to $50 and I was annoyed. I had no idea that I would yearn for the days of paying $50 for it. (I have a few special bottles stored but generally, I don't care for liquor (or wine) that's so expensive that you don't want to drink it.)

Now, you simply can't get it. The allocation is spoken for before it hits the store. Practically every liquor store owner knows how valuable it is and if they do sell it (instead of putting it on ebay), they have a list 100 ppl long.

I've got about 6 bottles bunkered that I may or may not drink and I'm resigned to the fact that I'm not getting any more. There's a lot of good bourbon - I don't have the time or the inclination to run around to somehow grizzle a bottle these days.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Those days have come and gone my friend. Its not even worth looking for anymore. The VW 12 was the perfect bourbon. It was reasonably priced so it could be your everyday pour and it is just delicious. I used to get it for about $35 a bottle. It jumped to $50 and I was annoyed. I had no idea that I would yearn for the days of paying $50 for it. (I have a few special bottles stored but generally, I don't care for liquor (or wine) that's so expensive that you don't want to drink it.)

Now, you simply can't get it. The allocation is spoken for before it hits the store. Practically every liquor store owner knows how valuable it is and if they do sell it (instead of putting it on ebay), they have a list 100 ppl long.

I've got about 6 bottles bunkered that I may or may not drink and I'm resigned to the fact that I'm not getting any more. There's a lot of good bourbon - I don't have the time or the inclination to run around to somehow grizzle a bottle these days.

My travel in to Kentucky very often and Buffalo Trace distillery still sells the product to certain well know places but yes the price is high. My friend got a PVW 25 year bottle for about 100, and we tasted that bottle like water. Man was that the nicest bourbon you could ever imagine. I have another brand that was fantastic but need to ask the guy what that name was. I will keep you all posted.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Was never a big bourbon or hard alcohol guy in general, but was in Boulder this past summer with the Mrs. and while she was in a conference I went on a "liquor tour" of the town which was basically just a bourbon tour. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
Was never a big bourbon or hard alcohol guy in general, but was in Boulder this past summer with the Mrs. and while she was in a conference I went on a "liquor tour" of the town which was basically just a bourbon tour. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I was vodka only in college and 20's and then got into beer heavily and the gut expanded lol.. since I started running the last 2 yrs Ill stick with a nice glass and sip and enjoy. I guess as you get older you treat yourself lol. I cant get into wine though.. I have tried and tried, just not me.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
My travel in to Kentucky very often and Buffalo Trace distillery still sells the product to certain well know places but yes the price is high. My friend got a PVW 25 year bottle for about 100, and we tasted that bottle like water. Man was that the nicest bourbon you could ever imagine. I have another brand that was fantastic but need to ask the guy what that name was. I will keep you all posted.

If your friend got a bottle of PWV 23 for $100 he probably stole it from the distillery. That bottle retailed for $250 10 years ago. My guess (although I haven't seen it on a shelf in 4 years) is that it wouldn't be sold for less than $500. And probably much more. Online auctions have it starting at $1,400.

And while its very good bourbon, the price comes from the fact that its so rare. Drinking it is pretty much a waste. And being that the last of SW barrels have come and gone, there will be pretty much little difference between all the BT wheated bourbons in the coming years.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
woodford, basil hayden, bulleit 10 year are my 3 gotos

if youre looking to drop 100 on a bottle, i highly recommend whistlepig

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Bourbon's never been my favorite whiskey. I grew up drinking Tennessee sour mashes and then started becoming more of a scotch person. These days for American whiskey, I tend to be more into rye, with Templeton being my favorite. And I still probably drink Tennessee whiskey more than bourbon, where I mostly drink Dickel for the value of it.

When I do drink bourbon, Bulleit and Four Roses are good. Old Forrester is my go to option when broke.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Bourbon's never been my favorite whiskey. I grew up drinking Tennessee sour mashes and then started becoming more of a scotch person. These days for American whiskey, I tend to be more into rye, with Templeton being my favorite. And I still probably drink Tennessee whiskey more than bourbon, where I mostly drink Dickel for the value of it.

When I do drink bourbon, Bulleit and Four Roses are good. Old Forrester is my go to option when broke.

Basically the same stuff as Woodford but for cheaper. Great bang for the buck right there.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I like Bulleit. I love Blanton's and Hudson Baby Bourbon. I don't know where to get the Hudson anymore, though.

I went to the Hudson Distillery a few years ago. Neat place with a great restaurant just down the hill. Actually I biked there. Don't necessarily recommending biking 30 miles after sampling whiskey! Really, you can't find Hudson? I think it's exploded recently and I see it everywhere across the country.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I went to the Hudson Distillery a few years ago. Neat place with a great restaurant just down the hill. Actually I biked there. Don't necessarily recommending biking 30 miles after sampling whiskey! Really, you can't find Hudson? I think it's exploded recently and I see it everywhere across the country.

That was my thought as well. For whatever reason, I've never tried it. I always thought it was kitschy in that small bottle so I never bothered to take the plunge, but the reality is is that they put it in a 375 because they want to keep the cost down. No one would pay $95-100 and unfortunately for someone who actually distills it themselves, that's what they'd need to charge for a proper bottle.

But unless I'm misremembering, its pretty wide spread these days. I might pick up a bottle. I'd rather drink something like Hudson or Kings County Distillery than Widow Jane - which is a fraud.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
If your friend got a bottle of PWV 23 for $100 he probably stole it from the distillery. That bottle retailed for $250 10 years ago. My guess (although I haven't seen it on a shelf in 4 years) is that it wouldn't be sold for less than $500. And probably much more. Online auctions have it starting at $1,400.

And while its very good bourbon, the price comes from the fact that its so rare. Drinking it is pretty much a waste. And being that the last of SW barrels have come and gone, there will be pretty much little difference between all the BT wheated bourbons in the coming years.

Trust me it was $100 on the side ;)

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan

I saw the PVW 15 year in a store by me in the West Village for 1,000 a few weeks ago, in the City the 23 year costs between 1,500-2,200. My brother-in-law brought back a bottle from the distillery a few years ago and spent at least 900 bucks

BTW...I have been drinking a ton of Whiskey from a distillery called Balcones out of Waco Texas. It's great, been winning awards left and right. I highly recommend the #1 single malt, the baby blue and the Brimstone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad