The Boston Curse : Is it over for Phil Kessel ?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Bruins fan coming in peace.

As a Bruins fan Kessel has been frightening in this series. Every time he's been on the ice (regardless of whether Chara has been out there) you want the shift to end as quickly as possible. He was flying last night.

He also seems much more comfortable than I've ever seen him -- seems like he's found a home.
I have to imagine you guys re sign him.

I hope he wants to stay. The guy is dynamite. Not only that, I don't see his body wearing down quickly either, he could potentially produce 70+ points/30+ goals for many more years to come. It was always whats in between the ears that set him back a little bit but he's blossomed in Toronto beautifully.

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Bruins fan coming in peace.

As a Bruins fan Kessel has been frightening in this series. Every time he's been on the ice (regardless of whether Chara has been out there) you want the shift to end as quickly as possible. He was flying last night.

He also seems much more comfortable than I've ever seen him -- seems like he's found a home.

I got to believe that if he can get over the "mental hump" and play well against Boston (possibly the toughest team in the league to play against especially with Chara) then he should be able to play well against anyone. I think his performance in this series will give his confidence a huge boost.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX

He mostly eliminated his critics by evolving his game this season.

He still goes through patches of on/off, as most players like him do, but he's worth the $7-8 mil he's probably going to get.

Gotta keep him, I would say at this rate, he probably has 3-4 more years of high end production left in him.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
He mostly eliminated his critics by evolving his game this season.

He still goes through patches of on/off, as most players like him do, but he's worth the $7-8 mil he's probably going to get.

Gotta keep him, I would say at this rate, he probably has 3-4 more years of high end production left in him.

Why not more? He'll be 26 at the start of next season, doesn't play a physical brand of hockey, and doesn't have a history of injuries.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think Kessel's production should at least get the Toronto media off his back about how he never scores against Boston. They might say it doesn't matter if the Leafs get eliminated tomorrow night, however they can't say he didn't produce anything in this series.

Badger Mayhew*

Kind of funny considering how invisible Seguin's been this series.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Why not more? He'll be 26 at the start of next season, doesn't play a physical brand of hockey, and doesn't have a history of injuries.

I think he could produce at PPG or well a high rate(say 60+points a season) well into his thirties.

think selanne or alfredsson, not very physical, but have a very high-end offensive talent and they dont get injured.

it's the powerforwards that start to go in their 30's, think todd bertuzzi kind of guys, their body just wears down on them, lindros was a huge example of this but his case was just extreme with all the concussions(he was done at what, 34?)

anyway kessel probably has 4-5 prime years left, then a bunch of solid years after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad