Player Discussion The Black Aces 2016

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
My half-educated guess is the Pack are most likely done and out this year.
Rangers are therefore going to ice a backup team of playoff eligible, signed minor league players - aka the Black Aces - that will skating and practicing placed on standby for hopefully joining the big team on a long PO run well into June.
So it is time again for another reappearance of the cult squad.
Would think they will have 2 goalies, 4 D, 6 fwds (in order to be able to scrimmage).
My guess is it will look something like below.
Thoughts?

The Black Aces 2016
Magnus Hellberg
McKenzie Skapski ?

Brady Skjei
Rafael Diaz
Chris Summers
Ryan Graves ?

Marek Hrivik
Jason Megna
Daniel Paille
Niklas Jensen
One of Luke Adam or Brian Gibbons
One of Chris Brown or Nick Tarnasky (both with NHL experience if Glass breaks)
Adam Tambellini?

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
My half-educated guess is the Pack are most likely done and out this year.
Therefore it is time again for another reappearance of the cult squad.
Rangers therefore going to ice a backup team of players aka the Black Aces that will skating and practicing on standby for hopefully a long run into June.
Would think they will have 2 goalies, 4 D, 6 fwds in order to be able to scrimmage
My gues it will look something like below.
Thoughts?

The Black Aces 2016
Magnus Hellberg
McKenzie Skapski ?

Brady Skjei
Rafael Diaz
Chris Summers
Ryan Graves ?

Marek Hrivik
Jason Megna
Daniel Paille
Niklas Jensen
Adam Tambellini?

First off skjei will get in games and I see him as a top 6 next year
Hellberg , Diaz
Hrvik , Paille , Jensen , Megna

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I had no clue this was actually a thing until I just searched for it on Google. Do these guys go to every game with the team? It said in the Wolf Pack article about it on their site they practice separately but do they get to go to the games? Because that would be a cool experience

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I had no clue this was actually a thing until I just searched for it on Google. Do these guys go to every game with the team? It said in the Wolf Pack article about it on their site they practice separately but do they get to go to the games? Because that would be a cool experience

They're in the press box. You haven't seen video of the the 94'aces going nuts from up top? Will try to find it.

Antoine Vermette

Jun 6, 2015
How many do we usually bring up? I remember last year we had Bourque and Summers up but we couldn't bring up any of the good kids like McIlrath or Lindberg because Hartford got knocked out right before our Game 7 against Tampa.

Depending on how many of each position get called up, we'll probably see Hrivik, Megna, Jensen, Summers, Diaz, Graves, and Hellberg come up. Skjei too I suppose, but he'd probably be with us anyway unless McD miraculously is ready to go by Game 1.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Rangers are therefore going to ice a backup team of playoff eligible, signed minor league players - aka the Black Aces

The Black Aces 2016
Magnus Hellberg - McKenzie Skapski ?

Brady Skjei - Rafael Diaz - Chris Summers - Ryan Graves ?

Marek Hrivik - Jason Megna - Daniel Paille - Niklas Jensen
Adam Tambellini?

I am not sure Graves would be called ahead of more experienced Hughes or Bodie
Diaz is hurt again
Paille showed nothing wearing blue, but i guess he'd be included, big night last night thanks to Boo 8^)
Tarnasky hasn't seen NHL icetime since 6 years ago, so i doubt it, but he is physical and takes faceoffs
I believe Chris Brown was acquired with this role in mind

so I'd project
Hrivik,Jensen,Megna, Brown
Gibbons, Paille, tho I might prefer Adam, Tarnasky

Skjei, Summers, Hughes (righty) , Diaz

maybe some kids for the first week or 2, for the feel of it,
in the past they have trimmed the Aces over time
Tambo, Graves, Nieves

Hellberg, Skapski

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
How many do we usually bring up? I remember last year we had Bourque and Summers up but we couldn't bring up any of the good kids like McIlrath or Lindberg because Hartford got knocked out right before our Game 7 against Tampa.

Depending on how many of each position get called up, we'll probably see Hrivik, Megna, Jensen, Summers, Diaz, Graves, and Hellberg come up. Skjei too I suppose, but he'd probably be with us anyway unless McD miraculously is ready to go by Game 1.

Hartford had a long playoff run last year which is why we only had a few guys up. The year before I felt like we had a ton when we went to the finals. Makes sense since these guys get to gain experience and it only really costs the team travel expenses.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
FYI just saw HawkCrawford tweet from yesterday that Diaz is back practicing

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I am not sure Graves would be called ahead of more experienced Hughes or Bodie
Diaz is hurt again
Paille showed nothing wearing blue, but i guess he'd be included, big night last night thanks to Boo 8^)
Tarnasky hasn't seen NHL icetime since 6 years ago, so i doubt it, but he is physical and takes faceoffs
I believe Chris Brown was acquired with this role in mind

so I'd project
Hrivik,Jensen,Megna, Brown
Gibbons, Paille, tho I might prefer Adam, Tarnasky

Skjei, Summers, Hughes (righty) , Diaz

maybe some kids for the first week or 2, for the feel of it,
in the past they have trimmed the Aces over time
Tambo, Graves, Nieves

Hellberg, Skapski
Would anybody actually put Hughes into games? Was under the impression that he didn't have the foot speed to keep up. could anyone please chime in on this matter?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Diaz played today for Pack, so he will be Righty D black-ace,
knowing AV, he might even play ahead of #6 (I wouldn't agree with that)

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Diaz played today for Pack, so he will be Righty D black-ace,
knowing AV, he might even play ahead of #6 (I wouldn't agree with that)

Av alluded to this on the radio yesterday, said if he had been healthy to end the season he would have definitely been in the mix down the stretch and in the playoffs. I think AV might have seriously considered playing him on the left side given his playoff experience which AV mentioned a few times in the interview.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
G--Hellberg, Skapski
D--Diaz, Bodie, Graves, Summers
F--Hrivik, Megna, Jensen, Adam, Gibbons, C.Brown, Paille

All these guys with the exceptions of Bodie and Graves have some NHL experience. Bodie is the captain of Hartford and has had a very good year all in all. Graves made a fairly smooth adjustment from the CHL to the AHL--Tambellini not so much which is why I don't think he's an option. Nieves is not really an option either with only 6 AHL games. He's not a Kreider coming out of the woodwork. Next year Nieves may be an option.

Anyway Hrivik has played well when called upon. Megna's been okay. Chris Brown adds a bit of nastiness if that's needed. Paille has speed and penalty kill skills and a Stanley Cup ring, Gibbons and Adams--not so good seasons but NHL experience.

Diaz is a skilled guy and a known commodity, Bodie--slight of frame, captain of the team, good year. Graves young and with size, a bit of snarl and a shot and seemingly has an NHL future, Summers--good skater, NHL experience.

Hellberg--the No. 1 in Hartford--had a good year there. Skapski--a step back this year but.....still in the plans.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
They're in the press box.

Yup, in the press box right above the lounge seats. I sat in the Lounges for Game 7 against the Flyers a couple years back and met some of the guys from the Pack.

McIlrath signed my ticket and shook my hand. I said something like "Good luck in the future!" and then cringed because I realized it sounded weird given the lack of faith the fanbase had in him at the time. He was all smiles though, good dude :laugh:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wolf Pack were eliminated from playoff contention tonight.

So expect BA callups after tomorrows game.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So who's up ? Diaz healthy ? Graves seem to of had the best year . Summers a vet . Think they like bodie

Hellberg and hrvik already up. Some vet forwards in the pack . Megna for sure

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Players already up:
  • Hrivik
  • Hellberg

Players I think Rangers will call up:
  • Summers
  • Diaz
  • Megna
  • Jensen is a stretch, but a possibility

I don't see them calling up Tambo/Graves/etc. They already have 1F and 1D extra on the roster (Lindberg and Girardi, going by Gm2 roster), so they'll likely keep it a small group.

But they could surprise me.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Players already up:
  • Hrivik
  • Hellberg
Players I think Rangers will call up:
  • Summers
  • Diaz
  • Megna
  • Jensen is a stretch, but a possibility
... they'll likely keep it a small group. But they could surprise me.

I think they call up a few more than that,
I think Jensen is a given, and new Brown is likely.
maybe some of Paille, Gibbons, Adam - all have NHL experience

and perhaps, if they hope to re-sign Bodie, they bring him up for the ride
also possibly Nieves's strong play at Hartford earns him a seat on the bus

no down side to having a group large enough to scrimmage

and look at yesterday, at one point it seemed both Stepan and EStaal might be hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad