The Best of HF: Rights and Wrongs

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We need a relaxed thread around here as the Pens organization isn't giving us much to cheer about.

Let's talk about some of our HF vision. What were we right about? What were we dead wrong about?

Right
- Led by Burgs, we have some awesome posters who know prospects well. I firmly believe the Pens organizational depth would be better with consensus HF-Pens picks over our overpaid scouts.

- Geno/Kessel & Hornqvist/Sid: People screamed during the preseason about the line make-up and they look to be right.

- Farnham, Vitale, Talbot, Letestu: Lots of posters, way before they were useful, raved about those players. Letestu is the one that really stands out.

- There is a 2010 thread about Dan Bylsma almost immediately when the season starts and a lot of us were being really cautious with some of his decisions early on. It's one of my favorite reads to go back to.

- Ryan Whitney: If you guys remember WVP's avatar, we were all right about wanting to move him.

- Personal one for me - I said w/ a coaching change we could win the Cup in 2009 when we were 9th or 10th in the East. I will cherish that HF Moment forever.

Wrong
- A lot of us thought Letang and Fleury contracts could have been dealbreakers for this team. I actually don't know where we would be without those two right now.

- The Iginla trade: This one comes with a disclaimer called Dan Bylsma. He was so poorly used here, but we all thought that night we won the Cup.

- Luca Caputi, Dustin Jeffrey, CPZ, Tangradi, Veileux: I'll just leave these names here. :laugh:

- A tactician coach would change how this team plays in a positive way.

What do you got?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Best I can do is :

- People who were pointing out Nisky was more than just a throw in on the Neal trade.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Jmelm was pumping Dumoulin's tires as more than just one of the crowd since pretty much day 1.

Edit: for me, I said trading a 2015 first round pick for David Perron was risky, not something I'd have done and had the potential of majorly blowing up in our faces due to the depth in the draft making it likely that Perron level or better players were still on the board. Barzal went with that pick and he's Perron level or better at 18.

I also said Lovejoy was a scoch better than Despres, though I did specify that that could change quickly. Well, it changed after 5 games, so I'll call that a strikeout.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm surprised RRP isn't in here with his 3 trades that he basically called before they happened (months before, too).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think I called for Shero's head once he didn't sign our young unknown prospect Matt Moulson even though we needed help at wing. :D
Got a lot of heat for that, but it seemed so stupid at the time since we really needed a winger. First decision he made and it was all wrong.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
-I was right to join up here and follow the action here as an alternative to the local media and other social media discussions. :handclap:

You guys and gals are #1 in my book... even the couple of members on my block list.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was right on Letestu and Dumoulin, Gibbons to a lesser extent.

I was wrong about re-signing Kunitz, he declined much faster than I anticipated. I was wrong about Letang too, he ended being a better player than I thought he'd be.

Last edited:

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
My biggest fail was saying Therein should not have been fired during the 08-09 season. I defended him to the death that year and we all know how that turned out.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I feel like I remember a LOT of people wanting two PP units. Maybe with a different coach it could still work, but it was a flop so far.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
We all pretty much agreed that the Despres-Lovejoy was a good hockey move

ha

I was right on Letestu and Dumoulin, Gibbons to a lesser extent.

I was wrong about resigning Kunitz, he declined much faster than I anticipated. I was wrong about Letang too, he ended being a better player than I thought he'd be.

I liked Letestu early as well. I always thought he was better than Jeffrey, but Jeffrey had that one hot streak when Sid and Malkin were out and everyone was higher on him.

I was never big on Dumoulin, but he's been proving me wrong thus far.

I didn't like Sutter from his first interview with the team, and I don't think there was ever a time I was thrilled about him as a pen. If I'm being honest actually, I just didn't want to see Staal go, but the interview was icing on the cake.

I thought Tyler Kennedy would have made a good top 6 player to work with Sid at some point.

Theres way more I was wrong about as well, just those come to mind.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
We need a relaxed thread around here as the Pens organization isn't giving us much to cheer about.

Let's talk about some of our HF vision. What were we right about? What were we dead wrong about?

Right
- Led by Burgs, we have some awesome posters who know prospects well. I firmly believe the Pens organizational depth would be better with consensus HF-Pens picks over our overpaid scouts.

- Geno/Kessel & Hornqvist/Sid: People screamed during the preseason about the line make-up and they look to be right.

- Farnham, Vitale, Talbot, Letestu: Lots of posters, way before they were useful, raved about those players. Letestu is the one that really stands out.

- There is a 2010 thread about Dan Bylsma almost immediately when the season starts and a lot of us were being really cautious with some of his decisions early on. It's one of my favorite reads to go back to.

- Ryan Whitney: If you guys remember WVP's avatar, we were all right about wanting to move him.

- Personal one for me - I said w/ a coaching change we could win the Cup in 2009 when we were 9th or 10th in the East. I will cherish that HF Moment forever.

Wrong
- A lot of us thought Letang and Fleury contracts could have been dealbreakers for this team. I actually don't know where we would be without those two right now.

- The Iginla trade: This one comes with a disclaimer called Dan Bylsma. He was so poorly used here, but we all thought that night we won the Cup.

- Luca Caputi, Dustin Jeffrey, CPZ, Tangradi, Veileux: I'll just leave these names here. :laugh:

- A tactician coach would change how this team plays in a positive way.

What do you got?

Yes but we have a chance to break it with Bennett. If he ever plays.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I will humbly take the credit for being the original Bobby Farham superfan. Followed closely by the other WBS watchers Zen Arcade and td_ice. Who deserve a lot more credit than me for being informed and insightful posters.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004

Dude, I was just looking for that. Was going to bring it back when he announced his retirement.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I knew drafting DP was a horrible mistake.

Not rocket science but Shero was a ****ing idiot.

I'm also one of the only posters who didn't want MAF shot into the sun for 5 years straight.

Last edited:

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I'm mostly right and wrong on a majority of issues that wouldn't be seen as controversial or against the grain around here.

A few that could be considered as such (not the norm here):

Right

- I'm shameless in my Letang love. Have always dug his game and saw the value he added to every shift even if so many posters on here think he's a PP disaster or not too bright.

- Was an immediate basher of Lovejoy/Despres. Lots of talk on main board pens fans or even here was that Lovejoy was better "NOW" but it was very likely Despres would be better in the near future and going forward. I yelled at these people.

- Wanted Sid to get surgery on his wrist instead of opting for treatment. There's no definitive proof out there but isn't his wrist still bothering him?

Wrong

- Voted for Phil/Sid - being one of Kunitz's biggest detractors it's pretty funny that I thought even Kunitz couldn't drag down Sid/Phil.
- That does come with a clause - I did say if something's not working don't hesitate to switch it up.

- Strait. I b****ed and complained that we lost him for nothing, and I'll still cling to it being a symptom of bad asset management, but the Islanders fan base is all but begging for him to be waived. He just wasn't that good.

- Maatta - I do find him to be one of the more overrated prospects out there but I remember before his rookie year I was willing to use him as a toss-in for just about every trade scenario.

- Iginla
- Also comes with a clause - DB.

- Paul Martin bouncing back after 2012. Never saw that coming.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
i thought dumo was gonna prove hes a top 4 damn before the season, while people had him lumped in with erixson and gonch

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I can't exactly what I remember what I have and haven't said on HF. This may spark a session of looking at some old/bad posts of mine.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I wasn't big on some of the people overly hyped lately (caputi and tangradi come to mind) however going further back I was sure wrong on a couple guys. I really though kris beech was going to become a lesser version of Ron Francis. I thought he was good defensively and had enough offense to be a great top 6 guy. Him and I always thought Tomas surovy was going to become an elite sniper.

I know most hate him now, but I was HUGE on scuderi when he played in WBS. I kept wanting him up here as a solid defensive d man. I know he wasn't great for long, but for maybe 5 years he was steady at what he did

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad