Player Discussion The Bad Granlund Phenomenon Part 4 (mod warning post #393)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Not sure why you’d assume this was a result of “doing their homework” when one of the main traits of this management group - at that time especially - was that they didn’t seem to ever do any homework on anything.
it's incredibly naive to think that they don't have meetings to discuss player personnel moves.

i know JB comes off as a big dummy and everyone seems to think he just sits back in his office fielding calls and making decisions without consultation with the management group and scouts but there is no way in hell he acts like that. Especially concerning a 1st rounder in their organization.....these are major decisions affecting their future employment.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
it's incredibly naive to think that they don't have meetings to discuss player personnel moves.

i know JB comes off as a big dummy and everyone seems to think he just sits back in his office fielding calls and making decisions without consultation with the management group and scouts but there is no way in hell he acts like that. Especially concerning a 1st rounder in their organization.....these are major decisions affecting their future employment.

What I’m saying is that around that period, this group had to have the NHL explain to them how to make a contract, how to get under the cap/roster limit/I forget exactly what rudimentary thing, they got slapped for tampering, and that same “homework” saw them target guys like Clendening, Etem, Macmillan, Vey, Bartkowski, and, yes, Granlund and Baertschi.

If you look at the larger sum of what was going on at the time, was this some kind of brilliant insight brought by savvy behind the scenes work, or did they just have a guy happen to pan out well? It’s not like they, by even their own admission, entered into trading Shinkaruk looking for Granlund.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What I’m saying is that around that period, this group had to have the NHL explain to them how to make a contract, how to get under the cap/roster limit/I forget exactly what rudimentary thing, they got slapped for tampering, and that same “homework” saw them target guys like Clendening, Etem, Macmillan, Vey, Bartkowski, and, yes, Granlund and Baertschi.

If you look at the larger sum of what was going on at the time, was this some kind of brilliant insight brought by savvy behind the scenes work, or did they just have a guy happen to pan out well? It’s not like they, by even their own admission, entered into trading Shinkaruk looking for Granlund.

Yeah, this is the thing and I've said this countless times.

What this regime does is bet on low-probability outcomes. Over and over and over again. And the thing about low-probability outcomes is that sometimes chance means that low-probability outcome will hit. And that doesn't mean they actually knew what they were doing - it just means that a broken clock is right twice a day.

If they make 5 or 6 bad moves in a year that have a low probability of success, absolutely one of those will probably turn out OK. It still wasn't a good move in theory and the bigger picture is horrendous but yeah in a vacuum in hindsight it looks alright.

Granlund was one of these moves. Ryan Miller surprisingly performing better at age 37 than age 35 would be another. But the process is so consistently atrocious that it's impossible to give any benefit of the doubt when it happens.

Reactions: But Gillis

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
giphy.gif

Reactions: vancityluongo

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Let's just hope he derps himself into a couple more of those wins...

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
2 goals and 3 points in 11 games this season despite leading our forwards in ice-time. Basically he's doing what I said he'd be doing. Not surprised by this at all. Also not surprised that a lot of people who loved Granlund last year seemingly ignore this fact.

11 games, 2 goals, SH% of 11.7%, xG 1.6, CF% 47%.

But sure, pipe the narrative that he's been great. :laugh:

Reactions: Jack Burton

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
He had an outstanding game last night. He's developing nicely. Great trade

he was a demon on the forecheck and the backcheck as well as on the boards. played a great shut down game.

2 goals and 3 points in 11 games this season despite leading our forwards in ice-time. Basically he's doing what I said he'd be doing. Not surprised by this at all. Also not surprised that a lot of people who loved Granlund last year seemingly ignore this fact.

11 games, 2 goals, SH% of 11.7%, xG 1.6, CF% 47%.

But sure, pipe the narrative that he's been great. :laugh:

if his job was to be a scoring player, then you are right.

however he is doing other jobs quite well, including playing on a what was an extremely effective shutdown line and PK last night. The big Benn line barely had any chances, considering how dominant they can be.

i was impressed, at least last night vs DAL.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
he was a demon on the forecheck and the backcheck as well as on the boards. played a great shut down game.

however he is doing other jobs quite well, including playing on a what was an extremely effective shutdown line and PK last night. The big Benn line barely had any chances, considering how dominant they can be.

And that would be fine if he were receiving 15 minutes per game. But he's our leader in ice-time so I would expect a bit more than a 22 point/82 game pace. He's also seeing some PP time, though thankfully not much.

As a 3rd/4th liner I can see use for him. As a 1st liner absolutely not.

Reactions: Jack Burton

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009

Agreed, for $900K he's holding up his end of the bargain.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
And that would be fine if he were receiving 15 minutes per game. But he's our leader in ice-time so I would expect a bit more than a 22 point/82 game pace. He's also seeing some PP time, though thankfully not much.

As a 3rd/4th liner I can see use for him. As a 1st liner absolutely not.

Weird how you ignore who they have him playing with.

Brent Burns Beard