The Babcocalypse: Babcock to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If they are able to build something competitive in a few seasons (which I think could be done, but isn't likely. This year they should be a bottom feeder, gonna take at least this coming and next to build a decent team, and even then they will probably be largely inexperienced), it makes it pretty tough on us which sucks.

4-5 years from now it could be a very stacked division. Tampa and MTL aren't going anywhere soon, Buffalo, Toronto, Florida, Ottawa are all young and could be very good then if done right. Not saying all of them do, but you gotta think a couple will do it with the players they've been able to draft in recent times and will get to draft in the next couple years. Boston is on the decline but you can't expect them to stay bad too long I don't think.

Heres how I see the Divison in 4 or 5 years

1. Tampa
2. Detroit/Buffalo
3. Detroit/Buffalo
4. Ott/Florida
5. Ott/Florida

Then you have Toronto and Montreal.. I just dont see Montreal being good when Price is starting to enter the mid thirtys (33/34) and I dont think he can backpack the team at that point. By this point Boston is definetly in a rebuild mode.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Heres how I see the Divison in 4 or 5 years

1. Tampa
2. Detroit/Buffalo
3. Detroit/Buffalo
4. Ott/Florida
5. Ott/Florida

Then you have Toronto and Montreal.. I just dont see Montreal being good when Price is starting to enter the mid thirtys (33/34) and I dont think he can backpack the team at that point. By this point Boston is definetly in a rebuild mode.

Elite goaltenders stay elite well into their 30's. Brodeur, Thomas, Lundqvist, Hasek etc... The problem with Montreal is their lack of depth, Price will be a top 3 goalie for another decade.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Dang really? Hiller was Powerplay man correct? Oh well. did Granato leave? Im sure we could find a assistant. Granato wasnt really that great if u ask me. He was decent. I dont really know what he controlled.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Elite goaltenders stay elite well into their 30's. Brodeur, Thomas, Lundqvist, Hasek etc... The problem with Montreal is their lack of depth, Price will be a top 3 goalie for another decade.

They are on Good teams though. Montreal is all price. Not saying Price will be like Howard and playing below 900 save% But i dont think he will backpack them into the playoffs.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
They are on Good teams though. Montreal is all price. Not saying Price will be like Howard and playing below 900 save% But i dont think he will backpack them into the playoffs.

I do. A norris defenseman and a vezina goalie mask a lot of issues. Montreal will be a playoff team for a while.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I do. A norris defenseman and a vezina goalie mask a lot of issues. Montreal will be a playoff team for a while.

Not a Norris Dman if all you do is score. Great year this year though. who knows if he can follow it up.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Interesting that when asked whether he'd rather spend 50 million on either Babcock or Holland, Bob MacKenzie chose Holland.

GM> Coach

Holland is also probably the best GM in the nhl.. Theres alot of other coaches instead of Babs.

Mach12

Feb 1, 2010
Not a Norris Dman if all you do is score. Great year this year though. who knows if he can follow it up.

PK can play defense just fine. In fact, he is being restrained from playing a more aggressive style. The Habs' problems revolve around their dinosaur coach.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Best GM in the NHL hasn't improved his team in 6 years and can't draft defensemen.

Hasn't improved his Dfence in Six years* Howard before his injury, and in 2013 was betetr then Osgood/when we had Hasek And Mrazek looks like hes going to be better then Hasek/Osgood as well as Howard

Forward group is probably the best it's been since the cap. Except that Dats and Z are aging. what are you going to do about that though, Trade the whole future for maybe someone who can replace it?

How many other teams have drafted so high and yet still competetive?

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013

Excluding the fact that he has already won a Norris and all. By definion he is a Norris D-man. Not only that he has been solid/great for a few years. I see no reason that wouldn't continue.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Best GM in the NHL hasn't improved his team in 6 years and can't draft defensemen.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I think the team has improved the past year but not by as much as I and some around here would have hoped.

As far as defenceman, Holland has drafted a ton of good defencemen in the last few years, he just hasn't hit a homerun with a great one (barring a big jump from one of the handful of D prospects we still have coming along)

It's hard to blame him for missing out in free agency, more often than not he's targetted the best D available, but it's not like he can force guys to come here.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
What are you even responding to? No one is even mad or ripping the guy.

Yeah, not sure what he's getting that impression from. Most seem ok with him leaving but at the same time respectful and recognizing his ability. I see very little hate here.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Man, this thread is embarrassing. You would think some of you would be grateful for what he brought to the team for a decade. And would respect him for taking on such a monumental task that is helping build a winner in Toronto. And how many of of you would pass on $50 million dollars? None of you.

Are you serious?

We are grateful for what he did here the last 10 years, and we respect him greatly for that. We also definitely don't fault him for taking the 50 Million, but why would we respect him going to Toronto or anywhere else though?

Whether he left to build a winner, in Toronto, Buffalo or any other team but Detroit, our goal would now become to prevent him from ever fufilling his goal.

Would it be any different if the tables were turned?

Elvis P

Chips from the chocolate fireball
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Long term I think they're better off w/o him. He had Abdelkader playing more ES than Nyquist or Tatar. :shakehead

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Long term I think they're better off w/o him. He had Abdelkader playing more ES than Nyquist or Tatar. :shakehead

Abdelkader isn't bad.

But sometimes he rolled out Kindl or Helm or someone lesser then Nyquist or Tatar in the dying minutes of a game to tie it..

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

lol, this team is the most exciting it's been in three seasons and actually has a brighter future. Holland improved the team by simply staying patient and not trading youth for bandaids like Jay Bouwmeeser or Dion Phaneuf and sticking to his plan to retool with drafting. Holland has stated for several seasons this team is trying to get younger and transition to a new core. I'm not sure why people are critical of him executing his plan. A lot of people complain and say, "He's not improving the team!" but then also turn around and suggest guys like Mantha and Larkin shouldn't be traded. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

that shouldn't have happened in 13 or 14 but this season it wasn't that outrageous. abdelkader player like legit top6 W and was the only player who had good size along with that and was healthy most of the year.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Looks like Babcock is taking some local talent with him to Toronto.

It was reported yesterday that the GM of the OHL's Saginaw Spirit, Jim Paliafito, is heading to Toronto with Babcock to be the new director of player evaluation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad