GDT: "The Avengers: Age of Mona-tron" Flames v. Canucks · 8 PM · Rogers Arena · HNIC

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
mfw i'm watching Dennis Wideman attempt to play hockey
giphy.gif

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Disagree, I liked his pairing with Hamilton and Gio. They looked strong together and were hard to get the puck from. (Side note: Monahan's strength must of taken another jump this season, this game and last he looks much tougher to get the puck from.)

I think Bennett needs to find his way first before we can put the entire game on his shoulders. He might benefit from a game in the press box as an educational move soon. To me, he seems like he has everything need easily but is overplaying the puck.

That trio was bad 3v3 and Bennett had a good game.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
mfw i'm watching Dennis Wideman attempt to play hockey
giphy.gif

Wideman turned a 2-on-1 against into the OT winner. All hail the hypno-Wideman.

I don't get the hate. He wasn't responsible for any goals against, and he was responsible for the most important goal for.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC

I don't get the hate. He wasn't responsible for any goals against, and he was responsible for the most important goal for.
Just because he wasn't responsible for any goals against doesn't mean he wasn't plain terrible. He was even worse Wednesday too (I get that the entire team was terrible Wednesday, but he was probably among the worst). Just because he helped the OT goal happen, doesn't mean i'm going to forgive him for not playing well.

If he has a similarily ****ty outing vs the Blues he should be scratched, imo. It worked last year.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

The he took two poor penalties, 1 scored on and 1 right after it ended. He fought the puck bad, had a nasty giveaway in OT. I agree he redeemed himself but he really had a bad night. And I'm a Wideman fan

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just because he wasn't responsible for any goals against doesn't mean he wasn't plain terrible. He was even worse Wednesday too (I get that the entire team was terrible Wednesday, but he was probably among the worst). Just because he helped the OT goal happen, doesn't mean i'm going to forgive him for not playing well.

If he has a similarily ****ty outing vs the Blues he should be scratched, imo. It worked last year.

Valid. I gotta say, though, from my vantage point, the players I noticed stand out in a bad way in this game were Douglas E. Hamilton and Mike L. Ferland. Wideman was given a pretty tough task in shutting down the Sedins, and by all accounts was successful. I thought he made a few very good plays to go along with that.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Valid. I gotta say, though, from my vantage point, the players I noticed stand out in a bad way in this game were Douglas E. Hamilton and Mike L. Ferland. Wideman was given a pretty tough task in shutting down the Sedins, and by all accounts was successful. I thought he made a few very good plays to go along with that.
Hamilton wasn't great, i'll agree with that. He and Gio started to mesh better as the game went on, however. Ferland just wasn't very noticeable.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Did Wides take two penalties in this one? Eh, the high-stick is accidental and correctable. Annoying penalty, because he'd already won the battle at that point and had position. The hold was bad because he got beat.

I actually think that the team as a whole was fighting the puck a lot in this game. I was thinking after the second that if we lost, it was because of the number of times we'd taken the puck from our stick and had it wind up in our skates.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Yah I didn't think Ferly was too bad, but I wouldn't oppose him taking a seat for Jooris next game, a kid like him will use that as motivation to be better. And knowing Hartley, one of Ferland/Bollig will always play. But the 3 of them should be alternating out until someone cements themselves.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The game needs more Backlund. I'm all for having the Bennett-Backlund line again to create more secondary scoring.

Yeah, ultimately we need strong support scoring. Decent 2nd line output and below is necessary (as much as we love G/M/H).

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Right so my impression of this game, entirely from this thread.

First Period: WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO looking good boys.
Second Period: OMG we are the suckiest sucks to ever suck.
Third Period: F*** you Miller our boys are dominating.
OT: I take back all the bad things I said about Wideman.

Good to get the win, gel a bit more maybe play a 2nd period every now then... Hoping for a good next game.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
This team is nothing without Gaudreau.
Raymond had a good game, should keep him in the lineup for a couple of games. If only he had any finish.
Engelland was solid, gotta admit.
Wideman looked like the pre-healthy scratch Wideman from last year.
Gio and Hamilton still not in sync but getting there. Brodie is sorely missed.
Bennett is super tenacious but it's almost as if he needs to figure out that final something that separates NHL from the juniors, thinking that one step ahead of play. Watching the Oilers game earlier, Yakupov still has the same issue.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Wideman no doubt made some mistakes, and it cost the team. What's frustrating is that he's a vet and you would hope that he didn't have back to back games like that. I think Dougie had a tremendous 1st period, probably our best player. He struggled in the 2nd a little and had some really strong sequences to end the 3rd.

Overall our topline was great, Gaudreau looked a lot like Crosby last night. He's just such a takent, his IQ is so high and his skill matches what's upstairs so he's such a deadly player.

We're going to be a fun team to watch this year. Once everyone gels with Frolik, Bennett and Dougie, watch out. I'm really liking Frolik a lot, and Ferland wasn't great last night but I fully expect games like that from him. Consistency is going to be his challenge all year long.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
So Brett Kulak has been awesome through both games so far he's even making Engelland better. I had a feeling that Bennett would have a slow start he is going to be a hell of a player at 19 he's already so good at the cycle which seems to be where a lot of our young players struggle when they start off. Finally I'm not seeing the Frolik Winnipeg fans told us about (this is a compliment) a couple of them told me all he did was shoot from anywhere but I think he's already had 3 partial breakaways this season when using his speed and frame to beat defenders to the outside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad