The Attendance Thread

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I was at the MTS Centre yesterday, am now part of a season ticket share in section 314. Five years on the waiting list finally done!

Not much else to add other than the section of new grey seats in section 329 for the True North logo. Pretty neat to see in the empty MTS Centre...obviously won't translate when people are in the seats.

May I ask what spot you were on the waiting list last year prior to being able to purchase season tickets this year? Thanks!

Toomuts

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg
May I ask what spot you were on the waiting list last year prior to being able to purchase season tickets this year? Thanks!

New wait list numbers are up if you check your account profile, wait list moved 183 this year or about 360-380 seats (could be 2 or 4)

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
New wait list numbers are up if you check your account profile, wait list moved 183 this year or about 360-380 seats (could be 2 or 4)

The amount it moves solely depends on what spot you're at. More people are likely to drop off who are higher on the list. So the higher you are, the more movement you'll see. I was 66 first year and got to the front in 3 seasons fwiw.

Toomuts

Jun 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The amount it moves solely depends on what spot you're at. More people are likely to drop off who are higher on the list. So the higher you are, the more movement you'll see. I was 66 first year and got to the front in 3 seasons fwiw.

I was 374 and am 191, I doubt that many will give up at this point after waiting 5 seasons to get this low, maybe a few but not that many.

Foos

Jul 8, 2014
Winnipeg

It wasn't under my name, so I don't know for sure, but my buddy thinks that he was in the low 200s last year at this time. We're now in the last row of section 314. :yo:

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009

I double checked my progress and it appears you're correct.

I joined the wait list (on my kids' behalf - they're 8, 5, and 3 year old twins) in August 2013. Here's my progress:

August 2013: 3245
August 2014: 2776 (Moved 469 spots)
August 2015: 2400 (Moved 376 spots)
August 2016: 2070 (Moved 320 spots)

I'm guessing we'll get our crack in 2029, right when the oldest is 21 years old. Here's hoping it works out!

m.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
I double checked my progress and it appears you're correct.

I joined the wait list (on my kids' behalf - they're 8, 5, and 3 year old twins) in August 2013. Here's my progress:

August 2013: 3245
August 2014: 2776 (Moved 469 spots)
August 2015: 2400 (Moved 376 spots)
August 2016: 2070 (Moved 320 spots)

I'm guessing we'll get our crack in 2029, right when the oldest is 21 years old. Here's hoping it works out!

m.

I'm thinking the wait list might be take a big move after this season.
For the second time, season ticket holders in P6, P7 will need to renew
and if they go with the 3 year year renewal again, some might decide
to drop out.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I'm thinking the wait list might be take a big move after this season.
For the second time, season ticket holders in P6, P7 will need to renew
and if they go with the 3 year year renewal again, some might decide
to drop out.

I think so too. Especially since the demand seems to have fallen off. It was hard finding buyers for some games I couldn't make it to last season. Had to sell 20% below cost. I'm debating keeping my tickets considering its pretty easy to find tickets to any games, and the Jets themselves were selling tickets to certain games last year at season ticket cost.

I have a friend who joined the Habs list and got tickets after 7 seasons. I don't think in the long run Winnipeg will be longer than the Habs.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
for now why not just join a season ticket group? If iwas anywhere close to winnipeg i would be all over this option

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1947861&page=15

Yup, I'd be all over that option too - but I'm the fellow who put that option out there! :laugh:

In other words I already have our four season seats. I grabbed a couple of spots on the waiting list so my kids could get a crack at having seats once they were old enough. If it drags on long enough our spot on the waiting list might get us first crack at the new arena.

m.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
I think so too. Especially since the demand seems to have fallen off. It was hard finding buyers for some games I couldn't make it to last season. Had to sell 20% below cost. I'm debating keeping my tickets considering its pretty easy to find tickets to any games, and the Jets themselves were selling tickets to certain games last year at season ticket cost.

I have a friend who joined the Habs list and got tickets after 7 seasons. I don't think in the long run Winnipeg will be longer than the Habs.

I'm boldly predicting that demand will pick up this year. The Laine hype will make the pre-season games more alluring and I'm expecting better results on the ice. A winning record = demand.

FWIW I only had to take a hit on one game last year but had a few close calls. I'm expecting an easier go of it this season.

m.

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
Yup, I'd be all over that option too - but I'm the fellow who put that option out there! :laugh:

In other words I already have our four season seats. I grabbed a couple of spots on the waiting list so my kids could get a crack at having seats once they were old enough. If it drags on long enough our spot on the waiting list might get us first crack at the new arena.

m.

haha that's so awesome. I would be knocking at your door if i wasnt living in Alberta!

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
I joined the wait list (on my kids' behalf - they're 8, 5, and 3 year old twins) in August 2013.

m.

Yup, same layaway plan I got for my kids/nephews. They can form their own group wen they get older, or at least have the option to do so.

I'm boldly predicting that demand will pick up this year. The Laine hype will make the pre-season games more alluring and I'm expecting better results on the ice. A winning record = demand.

m.

I'm with you, I'll going to go out on a limb and say the same. Laine will help the Jets finish some plays they couldn't before and, like you said, a winning record will help attendance/demand. :D

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Such a bandwagon city. Playoff year people couldn't sell their tix in December, then everybody wanted playoff tix. Same with all Winnipeg sports teams. I support them win or lose, enjoy watching nhl hockey even in tough seasons.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
On top of Manhattan Chase

FWIW I only had to take a hit on one game last year but had a few close calls. I'm expecting an easier go of it this season.

m.

Depending on how deep Finland goes in the WC he may not be at our first three home pre-season games, possibly none at all :help:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Such a bandwagon city. Playoff year people couldn't sell their tix in December, then everybody wanted playoff tix. Same with all Winnipeg sports teams. I support them win or lose, enjoy watching nhl hockey even in tough seasons.

I disagree heavily with you calling the Peg a bandwagon city. The support this city shows the Bombers and the Jets, win or lose, is strong and consistent.

I have never had any issues selling my season Jets tix even last year when we were officially eliminated from playoffs. It takes a few hours longer to sell when they are losing, but I have never not been able to move my tickets for face value. OUr Bomber season tickets have become harder to sell over the past 3 dismal seasons, but they still sell.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I disagree heavily with you calling the Peg a bandwagon city. The support this city shows the Bombers and the Jets, win or lose, is strong and consistent.

I have never had any issues selling my season Jets tix even last year when we were officially eliminated from playoffs. It takes a few hours longer to sell when they are losing, but I have never not been able to move my tickets for face value.

Riders fans fill the stadium win or lose, we have 8k less when bombers suck. Selling tix cause jets are outve playoffs. Those are bandwagon fans. When jets are losing, tickets are available on game days and last year there were many empty seats btw.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
Riders fans fill the stadium win or lose, we have 8k less when bombers suck. Selling tix cause jets are outve playoffs. Those are bandwagon fans. When jets are losing, tickets are available on game days and last year there were many empty seats btw.

Saskatchewan Roughriders home attendance averages:

2013: 37,503 (Grey Cup Champs)
2014: 30,071
2015: 31,182
2016: 31,127 (so far)

They have not removed the temporary seating that was put up the year they hosted and won the Grey Cup.

There was excitement with the Grey Cup being hosted, the team was winning, therefore more fans went to Rider games in 2013.

Attendance figures are not the only way to measure fan loyalty.

Source: https://stats.cfldb.ca/

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan Roughriders home attendance averages:

2013: 37,503 (Grey Cup Champs)
2014: 30,071
2015: 31,182
2016: 31,127 (so far)

They have not removed the temporary seating that was put up the year they hosted and won the Grey Cup.

There was excitement with the Grey Cup being hosted, the team was winning, therefore more fans went to Rider games in 2013.

Attendance figures are not the only way to measure fan loyalty.

Source: https://stats.cfldb.ca/

That's sellout territory for riders, they've always had 30k there consistently. Seeing hundreds of empty seats at jet games last year was telling, we are and always will be a bandwagon city, no denying it.

Halloween Jack

A real cool cat.
Sep 16, 2013
That's sellout territory for riders, they've always had 30k there consistently. Seeing hundreds of empty seats at jet games last year was telling, we are and always will be a bandwagon city, no denying it.

Unless there is excitement, in which case they got 7K more. Thats jumping on a bandwagon if I've ever seen it. IMO every city is a "bandwagon city" to an extent when it comes to attendance. We're not out of the ordinary having some empty seats in a lost year, or a jam packed stadium when the Bombers are on a hot streak.

And I'll repeat myself: attendance is not the only stat that measures a fanbase's loyalty. Empty seats doesn't mean for certain that we've collectively stopped following our teams, watching games, buying merch, or talking about the teams 24/7.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Saskatchewan Rider fans have not had nearly the dismal seasons for the past decade that the Bomber have.

The fact the Bombers were pulling the numbers they did, during what was almost unwatchable football is beyond amazing. Lets see how the Riders do at the gate if they have 4 or 5 more consecutive seasons like their current season, sure tickets will be available.

Further to that, Riders are an anomaly when it comes to fans support. That is an unique fan base, similar to a college style fan base. Its more a cultural thing than a sports/fan thing.

Selling your tickets because the team is out of the playoffs is hardly makes you a bandwagon fan. Silly statement considering the amount of $$ season ticket holders fork out each and every season. If the team is out of the playoffs, and you want to recoup some of thousands of dollars you paid, that is more sensible than bandwagon. Still watch on TV, still follow the team, just rather have some $$ to throw towards next years costs associated to being a season holder.

Bandwagon is not paying attention, not watch at all, TV or live, not being a fan unless the team is winning. This is hardly the case with Winnipeg's fans.

Sorry but calling this city's fans bandwagon hoppers is such an erroneous statement, as most consider Winnipeg fans the most supportive, loudest and passionate fan base out there.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

LOL, yes there is denying it, cause its false.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad