News Article: The Athletic's Trade Big Board

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Some notes on the Wings:
“You can have anyone in Detroit that you want,” said another executive, only slightly exaggerating.
22. Andreas Athanasiou, Detroit Red Wings – The Red Wings currently have seven restricted free agent forwards at the NHL level who are going to need new deals, including Athanasiou. Two of them – Anthony Mantha and Tyler Bertuzzi – are in for huge raises. Detroit is going to have to make a decision on Athanasiou, and he won’t be cheap either. Detroit’s rental options aren’t going to net a huge return, so if Steve Yzerman wants to add, say, a first-round pick, he may have to move one of his young forwards. And Athanasiou is an option. “ I don’t think he’s Steve’s cup of tea,” said an NHL source.
25. Mike Green, Detroit Red Wings – He hasn’t been great in Detroit but that goes for a lot of players. For a team looking for power play help on the cheap, Green might be a decent option. Said one executive of Green: “If the puck gets on his stick, he can still at least look up and find the good forward.”
Between this and the Khan article a week or two ago, it sounds like AA is as good as gone. I bet it will be at the draft though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My guess is finding out the Yzerman doesn't like AA either is going to be really tough for some...

I am curious what we can get for AA. Gardiner being on the block is interesting as are a few of the other names on this list for those with access.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
They probably won't be able to keep every RFA. Assuming that Mantha finally learns it's better to stay on the ice than to get hurt throwing punches, AA is the player I'd look at dealing anyway. Not for a stack of chewing gum, mind you, but I'd look very closely at anything resembling a decent offer.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if Yzerman really wants to trade AA that's another reason Blashill should be long gone by now

it feels like a mistake to trade him before seeing how he does under a real coach

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
if Yzerman really wants to trade AA that's another reason Blashill should be long gone by now

it feels like a mistake to trade him before seeing how he does under a real coach

You do realize he set career highs in games played, goals, assists, shots, and average time on ice last year playing under Blashill right? His usage is not drastically different than it was last year, but the team around him regressed substantially. Teams that would consider Athanasiou are well aware of what he did last year, and they are well aware of what he's done this year.

Yzerman also unceremoniously shipped Drouin, his highest personal draft pick to date, to Montreal after having dealt with a variety of his immaturity and attitude issues. The Lightning players were outspoken on how SY builds a sense of buy in from his players. If there is a player who is going to zig when the rest of the team zags, that player isn't going to be a key component moving forward. In short, if Yzerman wants to move Athanasiou, I don't think it is going to be as a result of his play, it's going to be due to the perception that AA doesn't fit the culture he wants to build.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You do realize he set career highs in games played, goals, assists, shots, and average time on ice last year playing under Blashill right? His usage is not drastically different than it was last year, but the team around him regressed substantially. Teams that would consider Athanasiou are well aware of what he did last year, and they are well aware of what he's done this year.

Yzerman also unceremoniously shipped Drouin, his highest personal draft pick to date, to Montreal after having dealt with a variety of his immaturity and attitude issues. The Lightning players were outspoken on how SY builds a sense of buy in from his players. If there is a player who is going to zig when the rest of the team zags, that player isn't going to be a key component moving forward. In short, if Yzerman wants to move Athanasiou, I don't think it is going to be as a result of his play, it's going to be due to the perception that AA doesn't fit the culture he wants to build.

he set career highs while playing for the guy he's been playing for for literally his entire career? gonna need a source on that one

AA even played under Blashill on the Griffins before he hit the NHL

I think it's high time we saw how he did with someone else and it would be dumb for that to be after trading him

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
he set career highs while playing for the guy he's been playing for for literally his entire career? gonna need a source on that one

I think it's high time we saw how he did with someone else and it would be dumb for that to be after trading him

If the GM doesn't like the player's character make up or doesn't think he is a culture fit, please explain why or how would a coach change that?

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If the GM doesn't like the player's character make up or doesn't think he is a culture fit, please explain why or how would a coach change that?

you don't think a coach can have an effect on a teams culture? I don't even know what to say to that one

players are gonna fit in differently under different coaches and we've literally never even seen AA under anyone else in the NHL

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
you don't think a coach can have an effect on a teams culture? I don't even know what to say to that one

players are gonna fit in differently under different coaches and we've literally never even seen AA under anyone else in the NHL

AA hasn’t changed since juniors where he was traded for being a shitty guy and then fell in the draft for being a shitty guy. Two separate chl teams two different coaches. Now it seems he’s alienated Yzerman “not his cup of tea.” To me means Yzerman doesn’t love cocky douche bags that put themselves before the team.

three coaches same result.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Detroit’s rental options aren’t going to net a huge return, so if Steve Yzerman wants to add, say, a first-round pick, he may have to move one of his young forwards. And Athanasiou is an option. “

I'm not sure it's even realistic, but if a team offers a 1st rounder for AA, Yzerman should probably pull the trigger without hesitation.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I guess my point of contention is that if Yzerman likes the culture of the team and the fit of players like Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Zadina, Hronek, etc. etc. under Blashill, and Athanasiou is the one young player in the core that he is not fond of, then it’s not a coaching culture that is the problem.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What about seider?

Could see scenarios where I’d trade him. Drafting Drysdale at 3/4 could make someone expendable on the right side. Depends on how his offensive game develops.

Hronek is the most untouchable defenseman for me (see avatar), but I wouldn’t even give him that status.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

You saw that with Barrie and with London. AA's problem is not and has not been his usage. Everyone loves to rag on Blashill, but jesus christ, look at the players he has. He's not an exceptional coach like Bowman was but any time Blash has had legit talent for the level he's coached at, he's done very well for himself. This Wings roster is devoid of game changers at almost every spot. Closest thing is Larkin and he's just a really good player. He's the same thing as what Ryan Kesler was to Vancouver in the early 2010s. They only really accomplished the trips to the Finals because they had guys much better than Kesler running stuff. Larkin is an optimal 2C. The fact that he can be a plus player as a 1C is a good thing, but realistically, he should be centering your second line.

Reactions: TKB and Ricelund

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

But we have seen him in other places as a developing player. He didn't fit in there either.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
The Wings won't move AA no matter how much they actually want to. He is more valuable to the Wings at this point than what he returns on the trade market.

Reactions: Winger98

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Some notes on the Wings:

Between this and the Khan article a week or two ago, it sounds like AA is as good as gone. I bet it will be at the draft though.

It would be great for AA to get traded at the deadline and try to salvage the season.
But from Yzerman's perspective, his value is so f***ing low at the moment that I don't see how he nets anything of import.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure it's even realistic, but if a team offers a 1st rounder for AA, Yzerman should probably pull the trigger without hesitation.

This morning I find myself thinking of the Quincey/Downey trade where Yzerman traded Steve Downey for Kyle Quincey who he in-turn flipped for a first. I wonder if we something similar? Not sure what options would be out there but no one saw that trade coming at the time either

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
AA hasn’t changed since juniors where he was traded for being a ****ty guy and then fell in the draft for being a ****ty guy. Two separate chl teams two different coaches. Now it seems he’s alienated Yzerman “not his cup of tea.” To me means Yzerman doesn’t love cocky *****e bags that put themselves before the team.

three coaches same result.

Stop spreading bullshit.
ONE CHL coach. He went and played for Hawerchuck and became one of the best players in the OHL.

Anonymous source says "I don't think he's Yzerman's cup of tea" and you use it to act like AA is a douchebag?
That's f***ing ridiculous.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
The Wings won't move AA no matter how much they actually want to. He is more valuable to the Wings at this point than what he returns on the trade market.

Why? They can finish in last with him or they can finish in last without him. He's got "excess" value right now because he's on a cheap contract, but he will be pushing for a bigger RFA deal this season and likely will go to arbitration because Wings won't want to sign him long term. Basically, it just looks like he isn't long for the Wings, so if someone comes and offers anything of remote value (not a mid round pick, basically), Yzerman will listen.

AA was more valuable than what you could get for him when he signed the 2x3 contract and then went out and potted 30 goals.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Stop spreading bull****.
ONE CHL coach. He went and played for Hawerchuck and became one of the best players in the OHL.

Anonymous source says "I don't think he's Yzerman's cup of tea" and you use it to act like AA is a *****ebag?
That's ****ing ridiculous.

Seriously, what is your personal connection to AA? All you ever talk about is how he shits gold bricks and nobody understands the value of gold.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Seriously, what is your personal connection to AA? All you ever talk about is how he ****s gold bricks and nobody understands the value of gold.

Dude, I defend him from inaccurate bullshit from people who pile on without facts.
And that's it.
I've talked about him sucking. I've talked about his offensive woes. His sulking.
In this thread, I've talked about his trade value being so low that we probably can't realistically get any value for him.

Some guy on a message board called himself a "douchebag," which is horseshit. And his standard for doing that was a) Demanding a trade out of London at the age of 17 and b) an anonymous source in The Athletic saying HE DOESN"T THINK AA is Yzerman's cup of tea.

And instead of questioning that, you question me?

Nice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad