TSN Overdrive July 11 Podcast

Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Mikheyev Tavares Marner
Moore Kerfoot Kapanen
Agostino/Petan Spezza Shore

Muzzin Barrie
Rielly Ceci
Holl/Borgman Marincin/Dermott

"Balance makes the most sense when it comes to the defense".

"They seem to be rehabilitating Ceci. They think they can get more out of him then what we've seen in OTT."

"I don't see them playing Sandin or Liljgren. I just don't think they are ready."

"I really think the 3rd pairing will see very little ice time. They will likely load up the minutes with the top 2 pairs."

13 forwards not including Hyman.
5 players being paid under 1 million AAV.

What do you think?

I think despite Dermott and Hyman out for the first part of the season, they will still make 1 or 2 more moves before the season begins.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think it's mostly common sense. at least in terms of which bodies are involved.
I have some issues with combinations personally.
I don't see Johnsson with Matthews and Nylander. I think Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen is likely going to be a line and that one of Moore or Mikheyev actually brings an element to the Matthews/Nylander line where Johnsson doesn't really add anything.

I'm still hopeful that as FA drags on with some of these guys out there unsigned that we might be able to nab a depth D or two for cheap to round things out and keep guys like Holl and Marincin out of the lineup.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I can get down with that except keeping Shore over Gauthier, especially just to play him as a winger. Gauthier is better than Shore.

Harpur should also be used, at least to start. If he sucks, he sucks, but he should be given a chance over Holl and Marincin IMO.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
At least he didn't have Ben Harpur in the lineup like he did in his Athletic article.

I would have have cancelled my subscription if I hadn't already bought a year.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think it's mostly common sense. at least in terms of which bodies are involved.
I have some issues with combinations personally.
I don't see Johnsson with Matthews and Nylander. I think Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen is likely going to be a line and that one of Moore or Mikheyev actually brings an element to the Matthews/Nylander line where Johnsson doesn't really add anything.

I'm still hopeful that as FA drags on with some of these guys out there unsigned that we might be able to nab a depth D or two for cheap to round things out and keep guys like Holl and Marincin out of the lineup.

What does Mikheyev and Moore bring that Johnsson doesn't? More fantasy? Johnsson if anything has more NHL games. It might happen, but I have a hard time seeing Mikheyev starting on the top line. I wish Moore all the best, but a 1st line winger?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I can get down with that except keeping Shore over Gauthier, especially just to play him as a winger. Gauthier is better than Shore.

Harpur should also be used, at least to start. If he sucks, he sucks, but he should be given a chance over Holl and Marincin IMO.

Harpur is awful. He shouldn't even get a sniff at the NHL.

Also, I'm not so convinced Gauthier is better than Shore.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Basically, there's going to be a free for all competition for the bottom 2 defensive spots to open the season. You have about 6 defenseman fighting for 2 opening day roster spots.

I have Marincin and Liljegren as my bottom pairing for now, with Harpur as the 7th D and Holl sticking around as depth again but I feel like he'll end up on waivers at some point --- probably when Dermott is ready to come back.

Mikheyev is the biggest wildcard upfront. Aside from that, I don't think it's wide open for the names competing for a job. There's probably 1 or 2 spots really open and that's about it.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
What does Mikheyev and Moore bring that Johnsson doesn't? More fantasy? Johnsson if anything has more NHL games. It might happen, but I have a hard time seeing Mikheyev starting on the top line. I wish Moore all the best, but a line winger?

Everything I've read about Mikheyev suggests that while he's not much of a hitter, he's big, uses his size well and is strong on the boards all while being defensively responsible.
I like a lot about Johnsson, his board play and his defensive game isn't necessarily part of that.
I also suggest Johnsson with Kerfoot and Kapanen because it leads to be more offensive balance in the top 9 which Babcock seems to like.

Mikheyev is a wildcard for sure, but one I think is going to be given every chance to succeed.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I could be wrong, but I don't see him playing a sec. of ice time on the Leafs.

If last years is any indication of what he brings, he is hockey's equivalent of a circle fly, lots of energy spent, seems to do a lot but in the end does nothing at all.

Reactions: Eb

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Agostino and Shore haven’t officially been signed yet.

Neither has Gravel

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I personally think Mihheyev will lineup alongside Matthews & Nylander, not JT and Mitch. I think Trevor Moore will go there until Hyman returns.
We shall see though.

Babcock did say that Mihkeyev would have a big role to play with the Leafs, but I wonder if that is more Babcock falling in love with his own voice and it was just verbal diarrhea or if he truly thinks Mihky has a chancy with the Leafs.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is there a reason why Korshkov is not in anyones lineups? I did not watch the Marlies playoff run at all but figured he was a shoe in for this year.

He wasn't that good with the Marlies in his short stint and probably needs more time. I'd be shocked if he was on the Leafs early in the season... but maybe at some point he gets called up.

He's suffered some pretty serious leg injuries the past couple seasons. I think it's in everyones interest if he goes to the Marlies for awhile and plays big minutes if possible.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
A lot of movement is going to be based on camps this year, which is nice because that often isn’t the case despite what’s said. They could even look at shifting Kerfoot over to the left until Hyman is back if Spezza comes in and finds a step.

The experimenting could run into the season though so that’ll be interesting. A lot will depend on the penalty killers on the back end. Muzzin obviously in, Dermott when he’s back and they’ll likely try to utilize Ceci in that type of role but it’s pretty interesting after that. My nightmare, which is likely a reality is Marincin gets gifted a spot based on that situation.

I think later in the season you’ll see Reilly see more PK time which will hurt his offensive numbers a bit and people will start nonsensically bitching about it talking about how he’s fallen off

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Who ever takes that wing with Matthews will need to be a guy who can pass the puck to Matthews, AM gets cranky when his linemates hog the puck. ;)

Nylander will be the set up man. I'm not entirely sure what Mikheyev's skill set looks like offensively. I wonder if he's considered more of a shooter or playmaker. I should look into this actually.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nylander will be the set up man. I'm not entirely sure what Mikheyev's skill set looks like offensively. I wonder if he's considered more of a shooter or playmaker. I should look into this actually.

His AHL coach says he is big and he can skate and he has a presence on the ice. Not sure how that translates into wins but it seems promising?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
His AHL coach says he is big and he can skate and he has a presence on the ice. Not sure how that translates into wins but it seems promising?

Everything I've read about Mikheyev suggests that while he's not much of a hitter, he uses his size well and is strong on the boards all while being defensively responsible. I am definitely curious now though to look up some video and see how he tends to generate his offense.

Reactions: 54thecup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad