The Athletic

How do you feel about The Athletic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Analytics vs. the eye test: A comprehensive look at the Jets...

One of the most interesting things coming out of the article above was:

Winnipeg not only gives up more shot attempts on their PK than other teams do, they do so at an alarming rate, higher than any other team in the NHL over the past 11 seasons combined. There are 331 teams & this years Jets is either the worst or near worst.

Shot attempts against: 331/331
Unblocked shot attempts against: 331/331
Shots against: 329/331
High danger scoring chances against: 243/331
Expected goals against: 330/331

What's remarkable is the Jets save percentage. Analyzing the same period the Jets have a 0.911, which this year is the NHL’s best 4v5 save percentage. It's so good, it ranks 14th best out of the 331 team seasons since 2007-08.

This begs the question how can a team be the worst in 11 NHL seasons in 4x5 shots against, yet escape with a GGA & SV% that are so elite.

Little things like this & then analyzing how & why give credence to Maurice's coaching methods. It appears the Jets strategy of keeping shots to the perimeter is reaping dividends.

The downside to the article is asking whether or not this is sustainable, particularly in the playoffs where advance scouting & days of preparation practicing against the Jets PK could undermine the teams current strategy.
Or we are still a ridiculously talented, poorly coached team ...............but with a great goaltender.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Personally what I think it gives the most credence to is Helly is having a good year. Being bottom third historically in high danger scoring chances against doesn't scream good coaching methods to me.
Yeah forget about the rest, let's hang our hat on bottom third in high danger scoring chances against 4v5.

Reactions: Evil Little

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Or talented well coached team

People were ripping Maurice for our PK style in October. Only an aggressive PK for the new NHL.

Well we climbed from near worst to knocking on the door for top five. And the analysis from people here is it's because the goalie is having a good year. As if his job is completely independant from the penalty killers.

With the same team as last year a year older... we make our way to top 5 on PP and PK and in the standings. Maybe the coach knows what he's doing more than the grumpy cats here?

That said it does look like maybe we have been lucky on our PK or the weaknesses of our system not fully exposed. Could well happen in the playoffs. Murat does a good job of preparing me for this possibility.

His articles are good in that he writes like a professional. He comes off as trying to learn by writing. As oppose to wasting his energy trying to prove his own theories like most of the more stats oriented guys tend to. He's way way better than Yost or Dellow to me cause he actually behaves like a real reporter lol

Hopefully some other young journalists can follow in his footsteps because it ain't happening at the Freep or Sun.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Or we are still a ridiculously talented, poorly coached team ...............but with a great goaltender.
Doesn't appear that way for the most part, but each to his own.

I hardly think Maurice is some Messiah, but poorly coached? Seems like a stretch.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Totally worth the money. If you want to sign up ping James Mirtle up on Twitter and he will hook you up with a discount even if there are no deals or promotions going on.

To those who voted that Freepress and Sun is enough for them. I pity you.:(

Reactions: Ducky10

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I subscribe and everything about it is top shelf especially for the smart marks (people that are comfortable with analytics). They attracted talented writers that take deeper dives in to much more interesting hockey topics than the standard local newspaper does.

Last edited:

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I signed up over Christmas where it was 1/2 price or something. The Athletic is still building their Winnipeg content, nothing on the Bombers yet. I follow the Blue Jays as well and there is a lot of coverage on the Raptors if you are interested.

Also, it's nice to comment on some articles & have the author respond in some cases.

I haven't decided if I will renew at full price but they do have some big name authors that have been cut by ESPN and some big newspapers so quite likely.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I just wait for all yous guys to post the info for me , i learn more here on Hf boards Jets than anything else . :laugh::thumbu:

ythelastman82

Apr 5, 2014
Did anyone else get a free t-shirt when they signed up?

The one they sent me is about as comfortable as a burlap sack. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
It's probably worth it just for Murat alone. Also having pronman for prospect stuff is nice.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Most people don't realize you can sign up for FREE on your Mobile device (Just limited on how many times you can see an article)

Thanks for this. Just downloaded the app, read the most recent article on Trouba, I’m hooked.

Very insightful and connected trouba piece, some interesting Overhardt quotes as well. Even Lawless, who had a relationship with Overhardt, never gave us this much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flair Hay
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Most people don't realize you can sign up for FREE on your Mobile device (Just limited on how many times you can see an article)

Thanks for this. Just downloaded the app, read the most recent article on Trouba, I’m hooked.

I think it's very relevant to bump this then so some of the regular posters like elf, cheswick & csk can join.

I'd have listed another of our regular posters, sipowitz, but he'd have to first upgrade from his brick phone...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I subscribed (during a sale) after seeing Aavco quoting them so much and not being able to finish reading an article. Drove me nuts! Cheap cheap...pennies a day. Dellow and Ates are pretty good.
I also like the fact that the authors respond to comments sometimes. Shows that they are interested in the feedback and are great hockey (sports) fans as well.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Very insightful and connected trouba piece, some interesting Overhardt quotes as well. Even Lawless, who had a relationship with Overhardt, never gave us this much.

Yeah they are doing really great work

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Analytics vs. the eye test: A comprehensive look at the Jets...

The downside to the article is asking whether or not this is sustainable, particularly in the playoffs where advance scouting & days of preparation practicing against the Jets PK could undermine the teams current strategy.
The fact the Jets have continued to move up in the league with their PK to the point they are now top 5 says to me that this is not only sustainable but the odd are they will continue to improve. I see the Jets PK using the strengths of the team. I hated this passive PK early in the season only to watch it become the best PK the Jets 2.0 has ever displayed. I am not going to argue with success.

Getting back to the OP I've been thinking of subscribing for a while now but for $40 dollars a year I'm sold.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Yea that Trouba article is exhibit A of why the Athletic is such a great resource. Very balanced piece with quality modern information.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad