Rumor: The Athletic: Capitals may not be done yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
How is that "trashy " though? Greedy maybe. You don't have to join. Personally though, reading a free article filled with adware is not sqeeky clean either.
It is just maddening to me and yes it is a silly thing to get so upset about but I can vent here so I hopped on the bus and slammed my foot to the gas and it felt good feeling the bump.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The fact that they want you to pay to read their articles ticks me off.
I'm sure at least one person who works for the Athletic or is associated with them responded to this thread everyone else is just white knighting here.
I think you dont get what they are.
Never intended to be just another sports site.
For 100+ years, before the last 10, sports fans got there info from newspaper sports sections.
Print is in decline, and the sports content web is dominated by amateurs and hustlers, and sites with their own self-interest, like networks(espn, tsn) or the betting sites

From Day 1, The Athletic was straight about the business proposition - for a subscription fee, they assembled a deep bench of qualified writers, well known, or up and coming. And offer an online analog to the clasic sports sections that long time fans have appreciated

If thats not what you want, cool
but given their thoousands of subscribers, and that they were acquired this year for $550M, that model is working and acceptable to many

That you dont like it, or think everything should be free, doesn't make it trash.
There is plenty of free content for you to enjoy.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The fact that they want you to pay to read their articles ticks me off.
I'm sure at least one person who works for the Athletic or is associated with them responded to this thread everyone else is just white knighting here.
Ah, so you’re angry that you’re broke.

What you need to do is figure out how to provide some kind of skill or service that other people deem worthy of exchanging money for said skill or service. Like a sports news site or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad