• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Of course I wear women’s shoes. I won’t speak for Jakey though.
There’s is zero doubt about what Jake’s footwear is. We all know it’s this:

C1EE5B3B-81F4-4706-9A18-724FCC984738.jpeg

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
1. Just Canadian money.
2. I can't point to Winnipeg on the map.

Other than that, I'm all in on the Tempe plan...just not counting my baby coyotes until they hatch. ;)
I spent a university term in Europe and my friend there was bothered that the world map on his dorm wall labelled Winnipeg and not his home country the Netherlands. So he could definitely point to Winnipeg on a map. But he wasn't American.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I thought you weren’t watching the games this season. In a lot of ways they’ve actually been better than their record until recently
Talking from experience. You are right, I haven't watched one full game this year. In a seven game series a team can get hot or cold, but over 82 games your record shows what kind of team you are. Of course you can go on a little hot streak and everyone gets excited, but over the long haul and at the end of the day you are what you are. Sorry, but I don't see losing as entertaining.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Talking from experience. You are right, I haven't watched one full game this year. In a seven game series a team can get hot or cold, but over 82 games your record shows what kind of team you are. Of course you can go on a little hot streak and everyone gets excited, but over the long haul and at the end of the day you are what you are. Sorry, but I don't see losing as entertaining.
So in any game in any sport the losing half of the fan base wasn’t entertained? The Cards lost the Super Bowl in an incredibly exciting game against the Steelers. I was very entertained despite the loss.

You may just be a fan of winning alone for its own sake, rather than a fan of any given team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So in any game in any sport the losing half of the fan base wasn’t entertained? The Cards lost the Super Bowl in an incredibly exciting game against the Steelers. I was very entertained despite the loss.

You may just be a fan of winning alone for its own sake, rather than a fan of any given team.
Getting to the playoffs with any team in any sport is entertaining. How the hell did they get there? By WINNING.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Getting to the playoffs with any team in any sport is entertaining. How the hell did they get there? By WINNING.
Sounds like a description for “bandwagon fan”.

Look, we all want our teams to win, but we recognize that there will be down years and also bad management years. If Matthews or Ovi put on a show against my team, I’m satisfied with the entertainment value even if we lose.

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
No offense but that's crap. A bad year or two or a rebuild after a championship contender gets old is an acceptable cycle. Decades of garbage is a piss poor organization that needs to make winning a priority or gtfo. Real fans wouldn't still be here hoping for/demanding change.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
No offense but that's crap. A bad year or two or a rebuild after a championship contender gets old is an acceptable cycle. Decades of garbage o folis a piss poor organization that needs to make winning a priority or gtfo. Real fans wouldn't still be here hoping for/demanding change.
I edited my original post to further explain before reading your response. Seems Cub fans over 50 are living examples in response to your point

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I edited my original post to further explain before reading your response. Seems Cub fans over 50 are living examples in response to your point
How about Pirate fans. I loved them up until we got the D'Backs. That Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke outfield in the 90s was one of the best ever not to mention the Lumber Company, We Are Family 1979 World Series champs.. Now they are nearing 30 years of complete garbage. The owner spends near the bottom every year even after getting a City paid for beautiful stadium. The are basically eliminated from the playoffs before every season even starts. How they get any fans to the game is beyond me. Not even trying to be competitive for that long is a crime and another reason MLB is broken.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
How about Pirate fans. I loved them up until we got the D'Backs. That Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke outfield in the 90s was one of the best ever not to mention the Lumber Company, We Are Family 1979 World Series champs.. Now they are nearing 30 years of complete garbage. The owner spends near the bottom every year even after getting a City paid for beautiful stadium. The are basically eliminated from the playoffs before every season even starts. How they get any fans to the game is beyond me. Not even trying to be competitive for that long is a crime and another reason MLB is broken.
I agree. I used to live in Titusville and saw a bunch of Pirates games a Three Rivers. I got to see Major League Baseball. So many geographically don’t have that opportunity. Same for hockey.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Look, we all want our teams to win, but we recognize that there will be down years and also bad management years. If Matthews or Ovi put on a show against my team, I’m satisfied with the entertainment value even if we lose.
You are cherry picking, as usual. Winning and losing is cyclical in all sports. Losing is not entertainment. Sure you will get a few games where you are entertained, but overall you won't be, and if you are then you just accept that losing culture as normal. If the Coyotes ever go far in the playoffs regularly, I guarantee you that this type of losing that we are currently seeing will not be tolerated by the fans. IF BA succeeds at what he is trying to do you will understand when you experience it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
You are cherry picking, as usual. Winning and losing is cyclical in all sports. Losing is not entertainment. Sure you will get a few games where you are entertained, but overall you won't be, and if you are then you just accept that losing culture as normal. If the Coyotes ever go far in the playoffs regularly, I guarantee you that this type of losing that we are currently seeing will not be tolerated by the fans. IF BA succeeds at what he is trying to do you will understand when you experience it.
Perhaps. As a kid I loved baseball. I was the worst player on the worst team in the league year after year, but I loved playing and wouldn’t have given it up for anything. Winning isn’t everything. Love of the game, love of competition is what means the most.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Perhaps. As a kid I loved baseball. I was the worst player on the worst team in the league year after year, but I loved playing and wouldn’t have given it up for anything. Winning isn’t everything. Love of the game, love of competition is what means the most.
You were a kid, doing it for fun. Hell, playing in a pick up league now would still be fun. We are talking about professional sports, buying tickets, merch etc. When you invest in a professional sports team, winning is all that you want.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
You were a kid, doing it for fun. Hell, playing in a pick up league now would still be fun. We are talking about professional sports, buying tickets, merch etc. When you invest in a professional sports team, winning is all that you want.

If winning is all that fans want, why do most stick with the same team their entire life? Pro sports exist to entertain. I want my team to be competitive, because that increases my entertainment quotient, but if the Coyotes never win the Cup I won't feel like it is was a waste of time.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If they challenge but never win a championship it's still entertaining and fun. If they lose year after year because of incompetent ownership/management, it's not fun to me. It's sad and frustrating. The best we've ever been able to hope for here is mediocre. They are trying for more than that now. That's a start and a first in a couple decades. If they are successful and build a winner, not only will us die-hards be happy, they'll actually build a fan base for the first time. Then you can complain about the band wagon fans.

No matter what, having a roster full of high picks will be the most interesting this team has been since 97 & 7 gave us the best, most entertaining and only real first line we've ever had.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
If they challenge but never win a championship it's still entertaining and fun. If they lose year after year because of incompetent ownership/management, it's not fun to me. It's sad and frustrating. The best we've ever been able to hope for here is mediocre. They are trying for more than that now. That's a start and a first in a couple decades. If they are successful and build a winner, not only will us die-hards be happy, they'll actually build a fan base for the first time. Then you can complain about the band wagon fans.

No matter what, having a roster full of high picks will be the most interesting this team has been since 97 & 7 gave us the best, most entertaining and only real first line we've ever had.
I agree. If they go into next season with Wright, Guenther, smith and a rejuvenated Jenik and maccelli it could be the most entertaining team since 2015-16, even if the team proves to be not very good/not ready to compete

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Cubs also have a mythology that people buy into. People love the idea of the Cubs and Wrigley Field. Also, in the seasons before their rebuild was complete tickets were easier and easier (and cheaper) to get. People were getting tired of dishing out big bucks on a loser.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If winning is all that fans want, why do most stick with the same team their entire life? Pro sports exist to entertain. I want my team to be competitive, because that increases my entertainment quotient, but if the Coyotes never win the Cup I won't feel like it is was a waste of time.
Winning the Cup? Hell we get into the playoffs once every decade. That is a waste of time. If that is entertaining to you so be it. That is not my definition of entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad