The All-Time AAA11 Thread (sign-up, roster post, picks, etc)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
...Gut is a risk-taker
that's the second time you've said so and I scratched my head the first time. where did you get that?

The 10-year captain of the Czechoslovakian national team was an 'aggressive defender' who as a three-time Olympic bronze medalist defenseman scored an impressive 35 goals in 114 international matches between 1952-64, named best defenseman at the 1955 world championships, went on to be the veteran defensive partner of young Frantisek Tikal.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ideal lines according to seventies:

Chevrefils-Semenov-Svetlov
Pike-Anisin-Johnson
Erixon-Drouin-Brysdon
Bouchard-Stumpel-Bell

Stelnov-Starikov
Gut-Marshall
Reise-Trapp
we agree on the bolded

Stumpel between two defensive wingers wastes his passing ability! Either make him a left winger or sit him or Anisin imo and go with a Bell centered defensive oriented role playing fourth line.

I think the following maximizes offensive line and defensive line:

2nd: Stumpel-Anisin-Johnson
4th: LW-Bell-Nilan

4th LW: one of Pike, Bouchard, Moreau

Definitely, this Nuggets team lacks physicality and NEEDS a "Knuckles" Nilan in the starting line-up. Nowhere better for him than with two key penalty killers.

(This assumes Thompson isn't selected to play 2nd lw slot, which isn't likely unless the remaining GMs yet to rank are sold on Thompson as a scoring line starter.)

What do the other GMs think?

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Results:

Percival: 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Thompson: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th
Romishevsky: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd
Irvine: 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 4th

If the one GM yet to rank thinks Thompson is first and Percival fourth (very unlikely to consider Percival the worst of the four options) then it would be a tie in rankings but Thompson's 4th would mean Percival would win the tiebreaker, so no need to wait for rzeznik (who hasn't logged on and didn't do +/- process either).

Lloyd Percival is a Nugget

The assistant coach of Dawson City is the fitness guru whose Hockey Handbook was Tarasov's bible and so is the equivalent of the Old Testament to the four Soviet Nuggets (Tikhonov providing the New Testament to the four 80's Soviets on the team). The team will be in top physical condition to handle AAA11 playoff challenges.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Pike and Bouchard are each listed as LW/D.

We need to figure out which is better to fill in the 7th dman role.

Research time! Scouting reports to come...

ALF PIKE
Alf Pike was CENTER on a Memorial Cup championship team.
He captained a ECHL championship team next, presumably still at center.
He played CENTER on the Rangers third line of their 1940 Stanley Cup championship team, scoring the Finals GWG in game 1 and game tying goal in game 6, both key to their cup victory.
He played center his most productive season, with 19 assists, 27 points in 1941/42.
He was converted to DEFENSEMAN for 1942/43.
After the war "He played two more seasons with the Rangers, the final one as a left winger in 1946–47, becoming one of the very few individuals in professional hockey history to play three different positions. His final NHL totals were 119 points (42 goals, 77 assists) in 234 games."

So C/D/LW with championships at three levels of play as CENTER. Fourth line center for the Nuggets? He has the championship experience, clutch scoring, leadership. At the very least he seems like a better extra forward than seventh dman.

BILLY BELL
"... a solid defensive forward with three different teams during the last four years of the NHA and the first six campaigns of the NHL between 1918 and 1924. He was equally effective at centre or right-wing and rarely took a penalty... a solid checker... retired after helping the team win its second Stanley Cup overall and first in the NHL in 1924."

EDMOND BOUCHARD
"...a versatile player who lined up at left wing and defence during a career that lasted more than 200 games in the 1920s. He was best known as a checker but also demonstrated astute passing on occasion...

The most controversial move of the season was the trading away of star forward Joe Malone to the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for Bert Corbeau and Edmond Bouchard. The controversy quickly quieted; as Malone would only go on to score 1 goal in 20 games with the Habs in 1922/23, while Bouchard led the league with 12 assists in 24 games..."

so.... logically (based on the aforementioned research):

Edmond Bouchard-Alf Pike-Billy Bell
:nod: Bouchard can pass, Pike can score some clutch goals, and yet a defensive-oriented line. Yahoo!

extra forwards: Moreau, Nilan (note-when a 7th dman is needed, Bouchard slides down there easily; if injury or suspension then Moreau can cover 4th lw and Bouchard can be in the starting 6 on d)(Nilan I think is needed in the starting line-up but not at the expense of losing penalty killing Bell. But of course Nilan would see ice time when playing a particularly rough team.)

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Based on the logic of the last post...

Chevrefils-Semenov-Svetlov
Stumpel-Anisin-Johnson
Erixon-Drouin-Brysdon
Bouchard-Pike-Bell
xtra: Moreau, Nilan

Then all we would have to decide on is the 4/5 slots. Marshall or Reise Sr. in a top-4 role as Gut's pairingmate?

Research on Marshall and Reise Sr. would be relevant here.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Oh...

I knew Bert Marshall was a 'rugged stay at home defenseman' and so I mentally pegged him as a good third pairing guy, but now looking over his bio I see that he has offensive talent:

198 points in 868 NHL games (26 points in 72 NHL playoff games).

.. could also provide crisp outlet passes to his forwards. He played nearly 900 games for four different teams in the 1960s and '70s when his consistency was a useful part of the team.

The reliable defensive play and leadership provided by Marshall helped the Islanders develop into a competitive squad by the mid-'70s. He was a member of the team when it reached the semi-finals in 1975 and 1976. He helped the younger players like Bryan Trottier, Clark Gillies, and Mike Bossy learn to win and be professional.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Dawson City Nuggets

coaches: Jacques Martin, Lloyd Percival

Real Chevrefils - Anatoli Semenov - Sergei Svetlov
Jozef Stumpel - Vyacheslav Anisin - Mark Johnson
Jan Erixon - Jude Drouin - Glenn Brysdon
Edmond Bouchard - Alf Pike - Billy Bell
Ethan Moreau, Chris Nilan

Igor Stelnov - Sergei Starikov
Karel Gut - Bert Marshall
Leo Reise Sr. - Bob Trapp

Kelly Hrudey
Jose Theodore

Does this get our rubber stamp of approval?

It is not set in stone by any means. In the interest of getting the playoffs going it might be the starting line-up, but all suggested changes are considered, and indeed recommended to be discussed, in the playoff match-up threads.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
that's the second time you've said so and I scratched my head the first time. where did you get that?

The 10-year captain of the Czechoslovakian national team was an 'aggressive defender' who as a three-time Olympic bronze medalist defenseman scored an impressive 35 goals in 114 international matches between 1952-64, named best defenseman at the 1955 world championships, went on to be the veteran defensive partner of young Frantisek Tikal.

Kings Of the Ice!

Karel Gut loved to make daring moves that weren't very popular with coaches... part of the reason may be that he started out as a forward and was retrained as a defenseman...Formed a defensive due with Frantisek Tikal. "When I went on the attack, he covered my back."

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Kings Of the Ice!

Karel Gut loved to make daring moves that weren't very popular with coaches... part of the reason may be that he started out as a forward and was retrained as a defenseman...Formed a defensive due with Frantisek Tikal. "When I went on the attack, he covered my back."
(page number please, for future reference)

a rushing defenseman! nice!

all the better to partner him with Marshall, indeed. :nod: you're right.

and very good for the Nuggets transition game.

Dang! The Dawson City blueline actually looks pretty good. GBC would say "solid" with "two-way" on each pairing.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Dawson City Nuggets

coaches: Jacques Martin, Lloyd Percival

Real Chevrefils - Anatoli Semenov - Sergei Svetlov
Jozef Stumpel - Vyacheslav Anisin - Mark Johnson
Jan Erixon - Jude Drouin - Glenn Brysdon
Edmond Bouchard - Alf Pike - Billy Bell
Ethan Moreau, Chris Nilan

Igor Stelnov - Sergei Starikov
Karel Gut - Bert Marshall
Leo Reise Sr. - Bob Trapp

Kelly Hrudey
Jose Theodore

Does this get our rubber stamp of approval?

It is not set in stone by any means. In the interest of getting the playoffs going it might be the starting line-up, but all suggested changes are considered, and indeed recommended to be discussed, in the playoff match-up threads.

This gets my stamp of approval. :thumbu:

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
(page number please, for future reference)

a rushing defenseman! nice!

all the better to partner him with Marshall, indeed. :nod: you're right.

and very good for the Nuggets transition game.

Dang! The Dawson City blueline actually looks pretty good. GBC would say "solid" with "two-way" on each pairing.

Page 322.

Are you sure "aggressive" meant physical? Perhaps that was in reference to his rushing. He doesn't appear to have been a big penalty taker.... at all. 4 PIMs in 91 recorded czech league games.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Are you sure "aggressive" meant physical? Perhaps that was in reference to his rushing.
Yeah it could, especially given his offensive numbers. He pushes the play, stirs the drink, makes things happen. I guess Jyrki Lumme and Brian Campbell are "aggressive" in this way when they have the puck.

Rzeznik

Apr 6, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hey guys, really sorry I haven't been around the past few days. Moved into my billet's place a few days ago and school and hockey have had me going non-stop. I was really looking forward to participating in the DCN discussions, but I didn't have any of my lists or notes here, so I wouldn't have been the greatest guy to have during the discussions, as a lot of the guys are guys I'm not too familiar with without my notes. I should be around a bit more the next few days, and definetely starting next week.

Hope you all understand!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
TODAY (FRIDAY) IS VOTING DAY

PM me the winner, in how many games and the three stars:

AAA11 Playoff Challenge: Toledo Walleye vs. Ottawa HC
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=678926

AAA11 Playoff Challenge: Prague Bartenders vs. Dawson City Nuggets
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=679926

AAA11 Playoff Challenge: Regina Pat Canadians vs. Michigan Wolverines
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=679193

AAA11 Playoff Challenge: Halifax Eurekas! vs. Cumberland County Cool Blues
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=678920

It's expected that every GM from the AAA11 draft will vote and as well any from the main ATDs may vote if you know your Bob Kelly from your Bob Murray, Bill Juzda from your Billy Barlow, or are willing to do some digging to find out more about the history of the game.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Now... the Challenge Series continues, round 2!
(review challenge series format rules)

Make your challenge today!
(Do so here on this thread

Teams in the mix: Toledo Walleye, Dawson City Nuggets, Regina Pat Canadians, Halifax Eurekas!​

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
lost my job two weeks ago (fired for wanting to stick to contract conditions);
I moved all my stuff into storage in a town a whole province away this last week;
I must leave South Korea, according to cancelled work visa, next week;
I'll be in Internet-shabby Thailand (cheap airfare to there, cheap living) for a month waiting for my pension contributions to be returned;
I'll be stepping down immediately as commish and GM in this draft;
I'll PM seventieslord to take over;
Wish me luck;
Bye.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
lost my job two weeks ago (fired for wanting to stick to contract conditions);
I moved all my stuff into storage in a town a whole province away this last week;
I must leave South Korea, according to cancelled work visa, next week;
I'll be in Internet-shabby Thailand (cheap airfare to there, cheap living) for a month waiting for my pension contributions to be returned;
I'll be stepping down immediately as commish and GM in this draft;
I'll PM seventieslord to take over;
Wish me luck;
Bye.

That sounds terrible.

I hope everything works out for you in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad