The All Purpose Thread | Relevant Rivalries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Well, in general terms how important was Cole to the team chemistry? Both are unknown and pure speculation here. Cole was also not played for quite a few games this season as far as assignments and responsibilities go. They also had ugly crap with him in the lineup.
I thought the team looked very solid defensively when he and Oleksiak were paired. We were on a roll. I think collectively our defense played it's best at that time. I think the results speak to that. Since then it's been a rather precipitous drop in that regard. What has changed?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I thought the team looked very solid defensively when he and Oleksiak were paired. We were on a roll. I think collectively our defense played it's best at that time. I think the results speak to that. Since then it's been a rather precipitous drop in that regard. What has changed?

They had a good stretch but team defense isn’t just the defensemen. It’s the damn forwards and when this team has looked good defensively it’s because they’re being bothered to play defense.

What’s changed? Look, Cole has changed but he shouldn’t have this impact. They’ve had players coming in and out with injuries again while incorporating a new player. They could just be in a lull, they could be trying to stay healthy. I feel I had to guess it’s a lot of smaller things happening at once.

Reactions: Peat and Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Is it too soon to worry about Tuesday’s matchup with the Red Wings, who are 1-8-1 in their last 10 games and playing an AHL goalie? Perfect recipe for derailing the unfocused Pens....they’ve hit the trifecta of what beats the Pens: lousy team, recent scoring woes and a crap goaltender....

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
You could care less about special teams huh? lol

Special teams are very integral in determining games. To trivialize it is really naive. It's a vital and important component to a game. I can't believe you said that. lol
I did not say I could (and I think you mean couldnt) care less about special teams. I said I care less about special teams in the playoffs than how much I do during the regular season. Brassard makes this team way better at even strength than Cole does. Do you think even strength is less important than special teams?

lol

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Sid still needs a RW. Please recall Sprong.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR-Brassard-Kessel
Sheary-Sheahan-Rust

Cmon, it ain't hard . . .

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I did not say I could (and I think you mean couldnt) care less about special teams. I said I care less about special teams in the playoffs than how much I do during the regular season. Brassard makes this team way better at even strength than Cole does. Do you think even strength is less important than special teams?

lol
I think it's all important. Which is why you need diversity and different skill sets among the defensemen you have.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is it too soon to worry about Tuesday’s matchup with the Red Wings, who are 1-8-1 in their last 10 games and playing an AHL goalie? Perfect recipe for derailing the unfocused Pens....they’ve hit the trifecta of what beats the Pens: lousy team, recent scoring woes and a crap goaltender....

It's also a road game for the Pens, so ...

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I think it's all important. Which is why you need diversity and different skill sets among the defensemen you have.
I mean, everyone thinks both are important but that wasnt the question I asked you. If youre going to deliberately misquote people to try and make them look stupid, follow up when they clarify for you.

Reactions: Peat and Ogrezilla

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
at least we shouldn't have to play any of those teams in the playoffs.
:)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean, everyone thinks both are important but that wasnt the question I asked you. If youre going to deliberately misquote people to try and make them look stupid, follow up when they clarify for you.
dude good luck I just went through that last night :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Speaking of Sprong, I just was curious about his stats and he improved his -7 to a -2 since that discussion about his +/- was a thing in the WBS thread :laugh:

He's still not getting called up, though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Speaking of Sprong, I just was curious about his stats and he improved his -7 to a -2 since that discussion about his +/- was a thing in the WBS thread :laugh:

Plan was to keep him down all season until they got desperate for goals in December, so unless something very bad happens, we won’t be seeing Sprong.

I’m fine with that, and he will be waiver eligible in the fall, so he will most certainly have his chances next season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Plan was to keep him down all season until they got desperate for goals in December, so unless something very bad happens, we won’t be seeing Sprong.

I’m fine with that, and he will be waiver eligible in the fall, so he will most certainly have his chances next season.

Unless Sprong losing his waiver except status causes the Pens to do something really dumb with him, like trade him for peanuts.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

The team stopped thinking there was a risk of missing the play-offs and the forwards start slacking off.

Also, Matt Murray's most recent injury. The kids had some real stinkers in his absence.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

He’s had points in the last few games...an assist today, a goal the game before that, a shootout goal...seems to be doing well...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm fine with this too, it's not like the Penguins need him and when has staying longer in the AHL been a bad thing? He'll still be a full time NHLer as a 21 year old, that's really impressive.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008

And I thought I was pessimistic...

Reactions: Andy99

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Unless Sprong losing his waiver except status causes the Pens to do something really dumb with him, like trade him for peanuts.

I don’t feel they will trade him.

Maybe they think their farm is stocked with too much fwd talent and he’s expendable, but uh, I can’t imagine they are that delusional.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don’t feel they will trade him.

Maybe they think their farm is stocked with too much fwd talent and he’s expendable, but uh, I can’t imagine they are that delusional.

Honestly, I could see them swapping him for a D prospect or a waiver exempt F prospect. It wouldn't surprise me, especially if Sheary, ZAR, Simon and such have a good playoff run.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Just got back from watching the Jets/Preds game live. One of the most entertaining games I've ever seen in person.

2 awesome teams going back and forth with no shortage of great moments. Kyle Connor was the best player on either team...he's too good to get lost in the wing shuffle in WPG, even with Wheeler, Laine, and Ehlers on the team. He's right in that mix already. Much more determined in the hard areas than he gets credit for too - he's not just a perimeter finesse guy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just got back from watching the Jets/Preds game live. One of the most entertaining games I've ever seen in person.

2 awesome teams going back and forth with no shortage of great moments. Kyle Connor was the best player on either team...he's too good to get lost in the wing shuffle in WPG, even with Wheeler, Laine, and Ehlers on the team. He's right in that mix already. Much more determined in the hard areas than he gets credit for too - he's not just a perimeter finesse guy.

Jets hitting on pretty much every single high pick recently (Laine, Scheifele, Ehlers, Trouba, Connor) has certainly turned that franchise around. I know a lot were high picks, but that's still an impressive success rate in drafting.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Jets hitting on pretty much every single high pick recently (Laine, Scheifele, Ehlers, Trouba, Connor) has certainly turned that franchise around. I know a lot were high picks, but that's still an impressive success rate in drafting.

That team is like top 5 in every statistical category of offense, defense and special teams. They have a wealth of talent. We’ll see about the coaching and mental makeup in the POs. ... I still look at them and see a second round exit...there’s something about them that still doesn’t quite convince me....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad