The All Purpose Thread | Relevant Rivalries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ian Cole needed $451,613 in cap space from March 1st to the end of the season. Had we waived Rowney on Feb 28th, we would have saved an additional $131,720, on top of the $441,980 cap we had in real dollars (if cap friendly was exact).

We’d have $573,700 in cap space, which enough to keep Ian Cole and still be cap compliant at the deadline.

So the cap space without Rowney (573,700) minus Cole (451,613) would leave us with 122,087 from the deadline onwards. That’s not enough to call up any forward let alone Jarry who we’d had to bring up. We’d have to send down another forward (probably Kuhnhackl) just to get him in. So currently we’d have 10 forwards able to play (9 when Rust was out).
If you take out Jooris and Rowney but add Cole there is enough cap space there. Their combined salaries equate to roughly 1.4 mil, Cole 2.1 mil. We had the space. Before the trade even occurred we had aprox 1.9 mil in space. If that were not the case how could we have a roster currently of 25 players and still have about 1.7 mil in space? Cap space wasn't the issue once Brassard was retained. Remember JR even said that we gained cap space trading Cole and Reaves. If in that scenario you kept Cole you'd have to waive Rowney and not have traded for Jooris. Or kept him in the minors.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Recchi is our D-depth now.

Has Rust played much (or at all) with Sid when Jake’s on the other side? It’d solve the RW issue but I’m sceptical.

Sheary doesn’t have much time to show something. He’ll back back on the 4th line when we get players back.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
If you take out Jooris and Rowney but add Cole there is enough cap space there. Their combined salaries equate to roughly 1.4 mil, Cole 2.1 mil. We had the space. Before the trade even occurred we had aprox 1.9 mil in space. If that were not the case how could we have a roster currently of 25 players and still have about 1.7 mil in space? Cap space wasn't the issue once Brassard was retained. Remember JR even said that we gained cap space trading Cole and Reaves. If in that scenario you kept Cole you'd have to waive Rowney and not have traded for Jooris. Or kept him in the minors.

I’m talking real dollars (Jooris was already in the minors) and I got my info direct from someone at cap friendly (they also said they could be about 50,000 off too).

We could have kept Cole and got Brassard but we couldn’t have put a full team on the ice when injuries hit. Another move would have had to have been made and it would have had to be made first as you don’t mess around with the cap. Then there is the risk Brassard is gone by the time you’ve done that.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Don't like Sheary-Brasard-Kessel, line is too passive.

I doubt it’s what Sully prefers and Jooris has proven much yet to knock Sheary down (ZAR/Simon could).

Phil looked more engaged last game so maybe he’s healed up a bit better.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’m talking real dollars (Jooris was already in the minors) and I got my info direct from someone at cap friendly.

We could have kept Cole and got Brassard but we couldn’t have put a full team on the ice when injuries hit. Another move would have had to have been made and it would have had to be made first as you don’t mess around with the cap. Then there is the risk Brassard is gone by the time you’ve done that.
You could have went ahead with the trade, then waived Rowney on saturday. That would afford you more cap space, then gave OTT our 2hd rounder. Remember Cole got traded on monday, we had time to get him back. And beyond that we had time to at least get someone. That's the thing I take issue with. Preferably Cole, but at least somebody who's a capable bottom pairing guy.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If they switched Rust with Horny there I'd prefer that.

I wouldn't touch the 2nd or 3rd lines that we threw out last game.

But we're left with limited options when we insist on icing all of Sheary, Kuhn, and Rowney/Jooris.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

But we're left with limited options when we insist on icing all of Sheary, Kuhn, and Rowney/Jooris.

We don’t have much choice. If Sprong is getting scratched in WBS he ain’t getting a call up.

Reactions: BlankFrank416

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I think we're most effective with playing Sheahan at center. I don't like him playing wing. And Rust and Geno have worked well in the past. Rust really hasn't gelled with Sid.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sully cannot stop putting Rust with Sid. I get it... If you pick the player who deserves the promotion, it's Rust. I get it. But it hasn't worked for so long. So why do we try it 400 times?

Maybe it will strike magic like Hornqvist w/ Geno did. That failed to work about 250 times and then worked on 251.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Has Rust played much (or at all) with Sid when Jake’s on the other side? It’d solve the RW issue but I’m sceptical.

Sheary doesn’t have much time to show something. He’ll back back on the 4th line when we get players back.

155 minutes this season with numbers above 50% for everything other than HCDCF% and HDGF%. 80 minutes in the play-offs last season, numbers 50% or above for everything other than FF% and SF%.

There's worse ideas than the three of them, even if Sid & Rust seems to be destined to be one match of "Wow" and four of "meeeeh" forevermore.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
So if Zar comes back, where does he go?
Either 3rd line LW with Kessel and Brass, or you move Rust back down and put ZAR/Jake up with Sid. One would have to play their off wing though.

With Rowney out longer term and Jooris up as, I presume, an emergency recall, do we have any normal recalls left? It would be nice to either get Sprong up to try him with Sid on the RW, or else get an 8th D up as Hunwick insurance.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think we're most effective with playing Sheahan at center. I don't like him playing wing. And Rust and Geno have worked well in the past. Rust really hasn't gelled with Sid.
Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Rust - Brassard - Kessel
Kuhn - Sheahan - Jooris/Sheary.

Do we have a callup available to bring Sprong up? If we're going to try this we have to give it 3-5 games in the regular season first. Can't wait till playoffs game 1 and have any faith in it being effective.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We don’t have much choice. If Sprong is getting scratched in WBS he ain’t getting a call up.

I was pretty sure he wasn't gonna be seeing ice with the big club again this year even before the scratch haha.

I don't agree with it, but that's where we're at. We'll see how the roster gets twisted to get Sid an RW in the meantime. Presently, we're just vacillating between an ineffective Sheary, a perpetual poor fit in Rust, and Sheahan.

Simon and ZAR can't come back soon enough.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Either 3rd line LW with Kessel and Brass, or you move Rust back down and put ZAR/Jake up with Sid. One would have to play their off wing though.

With Rowney out longer term and Jooris up as, I presume, an emergency recall, do we have any normal recalls left? It would be nice to either get Sprong up to try him with Sid on the RW, or else get an 8th D up as Hunwick insurance.

1 or 2 I think. Simon was one, fuzzy on what happened with the goaltenders and whether that's two or one.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I was pretty sure he wasn't gonna be seeing ice with the big club again this year even before the scratch haha.

I don't agree with it, but that's where we're at. We'll see how the roster gets twisted to get Sid an RW in the meantime. Presently, we're just vacillating between an ineffective Sheary, a perpetual poor fit in Rust, and Sheahan.

Simon and ZAR can't come back soon enough.
I just heard about that Sprong news. Wow, is all I can say. He might be done here and that makes me a bit sad...
After reading the statement issued on his benching...I guess they want him to watch the game from above and see something..not sure what that is...but okay...

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
what is the latest on Spong? Must have missed that story.

17/19/81 was starting to look legit, but of course, we have to make Sid happy and move Rust up to his line. Maybe Sid just needs to play better. Again, Sheary might as well get scratched if you aren't playing him with Sid. I guess we just don't have enough bodies right now to scratch him.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
I just heard about that Sprong news. Wow, is all I can say. He might be done here and that makes me a bit sad...
After reading the statement issued on his benching...I guess they want him to watch the game from above and see something..not sure what that is...but okay...
It could be that he has a team worst -7. That's while he is leading the team in points. So maybe he isn't as defensively sound 5v5 as some people want to make him out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad