The All Encompassing Rousey Thread

member 51464

Ronda used to say Cyborg could cut to come get her since she (Ronda) was the champ. Well, she isn't anymore, so she should go ahead and do a catchweight so we can watch her get her ass kicked again.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Like her inability, or refusal, to make 135?

What possible sense does it make to hold someone's inability to make a lower weight class against them? There are different sized people. McGregor or Aldo can't physically make 135 so Dillashaw goes up if that's the fight to make. Weight cutting is out of control already and is plenty dangerous.

All of the weight stuff regarding Cyborg was fed to fans by the UFC who wanted to protect the golden goose. Why fans would keep parroting it even as it robbed them the biggest fight is beyond me. Well no it's not, they're not fight fans, they're Dana fans.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Ronda used to say Cyborg could cut to come get her since she (Ronda) was the champ. Well, she isn't anymore, so she should go ahead and do a catchweight so we can watch her get her ass kicked again.

Bingo. The champ doesn't chase. I would love to see the match now at 140.

The Jesus*

Bingo. The champ doesn't chase. I would love to see the match now at 140.

I wouldn't. Cyborg would be walking into that fight weighing around 160lbs. She would absolutely murder Ronda at 140.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
What possible sense does it make to hold someone's inability to make a lower weight class against them? There are different sized people. McGregor or Aldo can't physically make 135 so Dillashaw goes up if that's the fight to make. Weight cutting is out of control already and is plenty dangerous.

All of the weight stuff regarding Cyborg was fed to fans by the UFC who wanted to protect the golden goose. Why fans would keep parroting it even as it robbed them the biggest fight is beyond me. Well no it's not, they're not fight fans, they're Dana fans.

If she's physically incapable of fighting at 135 then she should stop talking about fighting Rousey or Holm. If she's asked, she should say "they're not in my weight class." There's nothing wrong with not being able to make 135 but if you're going to talk smack, have the ability to make weight in that division. Same goes to Ronda if she's refusing to move up (and we all know Dana won't let her).

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

LOL Dana fans. Talk about reaching. Nobody is a Dana fan.

The Jesus*

The athletic commission is banning the use of IVs to re-hydrate after cutting weight. Which is going to be huge for the sport.

The way people cut weight now is by water logging their bodies. They drink unhealthy and ungodly amounts of water for a few weeks before the weigh in. Which causes them to urinate unusually large amounts. Then, a day or two before the weigh in, they suddenly stop drinking any water or fluids.

The body doesn't realize they have stopped drinking water, and is still used to them water logging themselves, so they still pee unusually large amounts despite not drinking water. You can cut 15 pounds very easily doing this. Take a bowel cleanser, pee out 10 pounds of water, maybe sweat out a pound or two if you really need it. Boom, you make weight.

Problem is, you're incredibly dehydrated after this. And the fighters have been using IV drips to immediately re-hydrate after what is really a very unhealthy way of cutting weight. So now they'll have to drink water if they wanna keep cutting weight the same way as they did before.

Which won't work. They won't be able to fully recover in 24 hours before the fight day. So guys will have to start fighting closer to their natural weights, or they will be fighting below 100%. Gonna be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The athletic commission is banning the use of IVs to re-hydrate after cutting weight. Which is going to be huge for the sport.

The way people cut weight now is by water logging their bodies. They drink unhealthy and ungodly amounts of water for a few weeks before the weigh in. Which causes them to urinate unusually large amounts. Then, a day or two before the weigh in, they suddenly stop drinking any water or fluids.

The body doesn't realize they have stopped drinking water, and is still used to them water logging themselves, so they still pee unusually large amounts despite not drinking water. You can cut 15 pounds very easily doing this. Take a bowel cleanser, pee out 10 pounds of water, maybe sweat out a pound or two if you really need it. Boom, you make weight.

Problem is, you're incredibly dehydrated after this. And the fighters have been using IV drips to immediately re-hydrate after what is really a very unhealthy way of cutting weight. So now they'll have to drink water if they wanna keep cutting weight the same way as they did before.

Which won't work. They won't be able to fully recover in 24 hours before the fight day. So guys will have to start fighting closer to their natural weights, or they will be fighting below 100%. Gonna be interesting to see how it unfolds.

The PRIDE-Dan Henderson fan in me is really looking forward to this. IIRC, Hendo usually fought at 200 or 201.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Ronda Rousey is hard to like

I kind of equate her to Can Newton for fellow sports fans. This girl has an ego the size of the Great Wall of China yet she was all embarrassed because she lost. She thought she was invincible and talked a big game and then took her loss terrible. She was on Ellen yesterday trying to make herself look good by telling us she thought about suicide and then she said she had to live for her guy and whatever. I mean losing a sporting event would trigger suicide? Depression is real and so is suicide but people who commit suicide aren't committing it over one event or one game. Yes former athletes have done it but not because of a game result if they had they would have done it after that result and not later in life.

Then she comes out with this

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...-to-trademark-an-nsfw-catchphrase-721104.html.

How are people genuinely supposed to take you seriously or not enjoy that you were handed a great slice of humble pie?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I kind of equate her to Can Newton for fellow sports fans. This girl has an ego the size of the Great Wall of China yet she was all embarrassed because she lost. She thought she was invincible and talked a big game and then took her loss terrible. She was on Ellen yesterday trying to make herself look good by telling us she thought about suicide and then she said she had to live for her guy and whatever. I mean losing a sporting event would trigger suicide? Depression is real and so is suicide but people who commit suicide aren't committing it over one event or one game. Yes former athletes have done it but not because of a game result if they had they would have done it after that result and not later in life.

Then she comes out with this

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...-to-trademark-an-nsfw-catchphrase-721104.html.

How are people genuinely supposed to take you seriously or not enjoy that you were handed a great slice of humble pie?

Who are you to question what is and what is not a valid reason for being depressed and having suicidal thoughts? Besides, the issue lives outside the realm of "reason" in the first place, no?

Sure, she has an ego and isn't easy to root for, but criticizing her for her statements regarding her emotional state is pretty offside.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
The media and UFC made her out to be some sort of invincible pioneer of WMMA, and she too ate it up and believed the hype, so when she fell, so did her psyche. Seeing her get knocked out was extremely satisfying, though, and I would love to see her get beat up in the ring again.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Who are you to question what is and what is not a valid reason for being depressed and having suicidal thoughts? Besides, the issue lives outside the realm of "reason" in the first place, no?

Sure, she has an ego and isn't easy to root for, but criticizing her for her statements regarding her emotional state is pretty offside.

No, the flag was clearly down on this one. Right call by the linesman.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Ronda: The Cody McKenzie of an incredibly weak division. Welcome to the real world.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
If you're a fan of this sport for how fighters conduct interviews on Ellen... You're probably here for the wrong reason.

Not like she's the first fighter to say something dumb, either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad