Speculation: The All-Encompassing Leafs Thread - is this it for the Core 4?

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Tavares is immoveable. Leafs management won't even bother trying.

Captain John will be a Leaf.
His buyout is really friendly, I wonder if they go that route

EDIT: made a mistake and was wrong with this, it’s the opposite.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hockey trade for Marner or Tavares is their best bet
HOW do you do a hockey trade for Marner?

MASSIVE salary on a one year term with complete control over the destination and an increasingly horrid reputation to boot. What GM is going to risk it?

Reactions: Snowman and Buffdog

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Probably trade Marner and sign Victor Olofsson in free agency

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If the Pens resign Crosby.

How about Karlsson for Marner. Pens then flip Marner at the deadline next year if they're out of playoff picture.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The trouble with trying to move Marner is that there are so many conditions that would need to be filled to complete a trade.

The trading team would have to see themselves as a clear-cut playoff team with a Marner addition—it makes no sense for a non-playoff team to acquire Marner because he’s a UFA in a year, unless he’s coming for cheap and they think they can flip him for more at the deadline. But if the trading team is a playoff team, then they probably aren’t trying to move now-assets to acquire him. So is Toronto okay with taking futures? Then the trading team, which is probably tight against the cap because they’re trying to compete, would have to find a way to make the money work, which would likely involve Toronto paying a third team to retain or taking back significant cap dumps, which doesn’t end up helping their situation. And lastly, Marner would have to agree to waive his NMC for trading team.

I just don’t see it happening.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Everyone saying get rid of Tavares and marner. NMC aside.. who we getting to replace the points? I get wanting more playoff proven guys, but we still gotta make the playoffs first. The pre nylander days were dark ones, so I hope we don't go back to that.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Matthews and Nylander are studs. I would just let Tavares play out the last year, and trade Marner for depth pieces and cap space. Bring in a new voice from behind the bench, and go from there.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Marner is gone. Tavares will probably walk as an UFA the following summer.

Unlike the other Leafs highly paid forwards, Marner is openly aware of the criticism he gets in the media and amongst the fans. He'll help facilitate a trade this summer when he's asked to waive his NMC.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
It doesn't get any lower pressure/lower stakes than Anaheim, and I'd be happy to have Marner "disappear" in the playoffs because that means we've made it to playoffs lol.

I just wouldn't want to pay an arm and a leg for it... I think I'd rather just wait the final year and try to grab him as a UFA.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
With basically three total picks within the first three rounds in the next three years we look bleak. Trade a bunch for picks.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
It doesn't get any lower pressure/lower stakes than Anaheim, and I'd be happy to have Marner "disappear" in the playoffs because that means we've made it to playoffs lol.

I just wouldn't want to pay an arm and a leg for it... I think I'd rather just wait the final year and try to grab him as a UFA.
Absolutely not. He's more than likely going to want/demand a raise over his already silly $11million. Even if Anaheim was willing to pay that, it would destroy all the upcoming big contracts that they are going to have to negotiate over the next few years ... "He's making 'x' and barely doing 'y'. I'm doing at least that much if not more & you're only offering me 66% of his contract. Fark that, I'm going to walk as a UFA then...". It could possibly bring about the same issue that Toronto has right now - a few really highly paid players and trying to piecemeal a team around them.

'If' he was willing to take a more realistic salary for what he brings/doesn't bring to the ice ... maybe. However I can't see him willing to cut his salary if he can find a team dumb/desperate enough to pay it. Then too there's the whole 'kinda vanishes when the playoffs start' vibe/attitude that I wouldn't want being passed along to his new teammates either.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
HOW do you do a hockey trade for Marner?

MASSIVE salary on a one year term with complete control over the destination and an increasingly horrid reputation to boot. What GM is going to risk it?
With extension

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
With extension
And what does THAT look like?

I would be furious if "my team" paid Marner $90+ million over 8 years. And you know the Marner camp believe the little dancing fellow is worth that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad