The Advanced Stats Thread Episode III: Return of the Eye Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Does someone want to show me some more warrior charts and other stuff? caught the tail end of that and don't remember where it came from. WOI is closing?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
GfJ4BYh.png

Roman Josi literally doesn't suppress shots. Like any. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
A quick visual for Eric Staal's impact on Carolina this season. Players are sorted left to right based on total ice time with the player with a minimum of 50 minutes played. Blue indicates the Corsi% is above the team average of 53.1%, red indicates it is below. McGinn is the only player below the team average and the only player that "plays worse" when with Eric Staal - but he has only played 50.5 minutes with Staal total this season. Small sample size. Everybody else shows better possession numbers when with Eric.

hJ142Kl.jpg

Edit - This is all at 5v5.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
In a world divided into eye-test and "advanced stats", I side with the eye-test first, then we can go into advanced stats. As usual both is the right way to go, whichever saves more time.

edit:

The advanced stats show E.Staal to be a good one, eh?

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park

The data in this tweet is very misleading. It doesn't make a lot of sense to compare players from different teams in terms of Corsi +/-. Carolina this season has been a much better possession team than NYR so consequently Staal is much more likely to have a better Corsi differential that isn't necessarily the result of his individual play. It's better to look to look at Corsi relative to get a sense of how the player is playing in comparison to their teammates and then draw conclusions that way. In that regard, Staal has been very good. But that's really as far as a conclusion one should come to.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The data in this tweet is very misleading. It doesn't make a lot of sense to compare players from different teams in terms of Corsi +/-. Carolina this season has been a much better possession team than NYR so consequently Staal is much more likely to have a better Corsi differential that isn't necessarily the result of his individual play. It's better to look to look at Corsi relative to get a sense of how the player is playing in comparison to their teammates and then draw conclusions that way. In that regard, Staal has been very good. But that's really as far as a conclusion one should come to.

It's still something promising to look at. Obviously, we'll start seeing how he affects the team starting tomorrow. But until then, it's a nice little peak into how he's been doing. We'll see how well it translates.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
It's still something promising to look at. Obviously, we'll start seeing how he affects the team starting tomorrow. But until then, it's a nice little peak into how he's been doing. We'll see how well it translates.

Yes I definitely agree with that. I just don't think the comparison is relevant and presenting it in that way is misleading. Regardless, the numbers suggest that Staal has played a lot better this year than his points suggest. I definitely think he will help you guys.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yes I definitely agree with that. I just don't think the comparison is relevant and presenting it in that way is misleading. Regardless, the numbers suggest that Staal has played a lot better this year than his points suggest. I definitely think he will help you guys.

Yeah I was just posting it because it popped up on my Twitter feed and I was like "Ooooooooo fancy stats graph on Staal. Better post it for feedback."

:P

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Not even close to being true. Nashville allows goals and shots when Josi is on the ice. The Rangers don't allow goals or shots when Yandle is on the ice. Pretty simple to see.

If Keith Yandle was a wormhole defensively, then yes. But he's not.

Could it be possible that Laviolette doesn't shelter Josi in the same fashion as AV shelters Yandle?

Edit:Yes. Yikes! Check the difference in relative zone start and TOI between Josi and Yandle. I'm will to be that if Josi were on the Rangers and he was used in the same fashion, he would not be perceived a worm hole on D.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Who ever said this?

I think Josi is more like Keith Yandle.

The mainboards :laugh:
Could it be possible that Laviolette doesn't shelter Josi in the same fashion as AV shelters Yandle?

Edit:Yes. Yikes! Check the difference in relative zone start and TOI between Josi and Yandle. I'm will to be that if Josi were on the Rangers and he was used in the same fashion, he would not be perceived a worm hole on D.

When you regress Josi's ability to suppress shots with his quality of teammates and competition, his numbers come out worse.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yandle couldn't possibly do worse with Josi's usage than Josi does.

I could take Josi's assignments and suppress shots at the same rate.

His bar is literally empty.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This is the sameargument that was used last year about Dan Boyle taking Girardi's assignments.

Just sayin' :)

Have a hard time believing he wouldn't do better than literally the worst in the NHL.

Boyle's trash but his 0.5+ relCF is like, a lot better than Girardi's -6.8.

Not even considering Girardi gets McDonagh while Boyle gets a defenseman worse than he is.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is the sameargument that was used last year about Dan Boyle taking Girardi's assignments.

Just sayin' :)

Which is probably still true given that Girardi is painfully bad at everything that has to do with playing defense in the NHL, but I digress.

At least Girardi's meter shows up. It's like brown, but it's there. Josi's doesn't. He is quite literally THE worst shot suppressor in the NHL. I don't wanna hear about assignments when you are THE worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad