The AAA 2013 Draft

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I know I'm late to this, but it's interesting how Ralph Bowman and Bert Marshall went from being 1st team all-stars last draft to not making the 3rd this year while three of the other all-star defencemen moved up to the MLD and the other, Reise, was this year's MVP.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I know I'm late to this, but it's interesting how Ralph Bowman and Bert Marshall went from being 1st team all-stars last draft to not making the 3rd this year while three of the other all-star defencemen moved up to the MLD and the other, Reise, was this year's MVP.

indeed

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I might humbly suggest that I selected better players and put in even more work than you did. No offense. Your effort was clear. But bios like this in the AAA, that takes some dedication, and I am pretty dedicated.
Several of us humble folk put in lots of effort into our picks and bios.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tuesday is Voting Day

Vote on the winner of each divisional semifinal series, in how many games (four-game sweep to seven games) with three stars of the series.

Send votes to BillyShoe1721

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Several of us humble folk put in lots of effort into our picks and bios.

Look, I don't mean to be a "bio snob" or get into an effort level peeing match... but some of your bios are made entirely of information posted from the internet or from bios other people did. They may have taken five minutes.

Granted, there's no way for me to guess how much time you spend researching.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
In the MLD a vet made a ridiculous post about one of my players so I did some research and he said the exact opposite in every other MLD. :laugh:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In the MLD a vet made a ridiculous post about one of my players so I did some research and he said the exact opposite in every other MLD. :laugh:
I know the feeling! I have heard "awful pick, bad pick.... good pick!" in subsequent drafts from experienced GMers who themselves discovered extra info that convinced them of a guy's worth.

It's the nature of the beast to have to wait for other GMs to appreciate one's own judgement, based on the fact that different facts sway different individuals differently.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It's bound to happen, I wouldn't hold it against someone. Question them about it and give them a chance to explain, sure. Lots of info is still coming out as time goes by. Luckily the ATD is scientific in nature -we don't have some dogmatic truth; we change our opinions in light of new info that merits changing those opinions. 90% of the time that probably what happened.

I'd be more concerned if people weren't plastic in their judgements from year to year.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site

That happened in this AAA draft too....a vet posted something negative about a player that he had posted positive about when HE had picked the same player in an earlier draft a few years ago.

Ain't saying who....

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That happened in this AAA draft too....a vet posted something negative about a player that he had posted positive about when HE had picked the same player in an earlier draft a few years ago.

Ain't saying who....

Says a guy in his first year of drafting who has absolutely no idea how much can change in "a few years"

You know, rather than assuming the worst about this vet, you could actually confront them and demand am explanation. Sounds like you think it warrants one.

Apparently this whole "I'm talking about someone without actually talking about them" nonsense is making an unwelcome comeback here. Be straight up with your colleagues.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Says a guy in his first year of drafting who has absolutely no idea how much can change in "a few years"

You know, rather than assuming the worst about this vet, you could actually confront them and demand am explanation. Sounds like you think it warrants one.

Apparently this whole "I'm talking about someone without actually talking about them" nonsense is making an unwelcome comeback here. Be straight up with your colleagues.

You mean I'm going to have to try and track it down again? No big deal for me, I thought it was amusing more than anything else, otherwise I would've gone "Nyah, Nyah Nyah".

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That's too bad. Would have been nice to know more details. There's very little context attached to that anecdote. For example, was it a positive comment about an AA pick a few years back? A good AA or A level player is not automatically a good AAA player. Also, not all AAA drafts are created equal. Some have started before pick number 1000, others closer to 1200.

Surely you at least remember what player it was. Can't be too hard to find. Heck, I'll even do it for you. Just pm me the player and I'll get to the bottom of it for you. I'm sure there's an explanation that's not as humorous as insidious as you think.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm sure I've changed my opinions on players many times over the years based on new information that came out or just a new way of looking at things. It might be something worth mentioning if someone flipflopped on a player drafted last year, when no new information came out, but I'm sure most of us have changed our minds on a lot of guys over a period of years.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
That's too bad. Would have been nice to know more details. There's very little context attached to that anecdote. For example, was it a positive comment about an AA pick a few years back? A good AA or A level player is not automatically a good AAA player. Also, not all AAA drafts are created equal. Some have started before pick number 1000, others closer to 1200.

Surely you at least remember what player it was. Can't be too hard to find. Heck, I'll even do it for you. Just pm me the player and I'll get to the bottom of it for you. I'm sure there's an explanation that's not as humorous as insidious as you think.

I can't even remember that....it was during the course of some research and I came across it by accident. Nowadays my time is at a premium and I just proceeded on towards what my initial goal was and left whatever the situation was behind. Hell, I'm not even sure who the regular was.....one of two guys I believe. As you can see it really is no big shake, just found it kind of amusing.

After not working for over a year I'm now working 7 days a week with a regular and two part time jobs. I've also got a lot of family commitments hitting me right now, (deaths, relocations, new girl, etc....). My priorities for finding this particular situation is very low on my totem pole right now. I'm lucky I can check in on a regular basis on my cell but solid blocks of time on HFB is not anywhere near what it once was. Besides, I must also research for the AA draft after all....:D

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
I'm sure I've changed my opinions on players many times over the years based on new information that came out or just a new way of looking at things. It might be something worth mentioning if someone flipflopped on a player drafted last year, when no new information came out, but I'm sure most of us have changed our minds on a lot of guys over a period of years.

I know I have changed my opinions for some that I had previous misconceptions aboutbut for some reason this one stuck me as amusing. It seemed diametrically opposed to what they had written previously.

if I have time I'll try and track it down. I think it may have been something during a google search and an old HF archive page popped up. But the details are gone from em right now.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Today is Voting Day

Vote on the winner of each divisional semifinal series, in how many games (four-game sweep to seven games) with three stars of the series.

Send votes to BillyShoe1721

If you haven't voted yet, do so ASAP!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Votes still needed from: Dave G, chaosrevolver, jkrx, Hobnobs, DemonsOnIce96

Two of the series are very close, according to BillyShoe1721.

I have sent a couple of reminder PMs to no avail. Perhaps someone else could remind them too.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
sorry for late votes been rather busy with stuff and completely blanked on voting day... :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad