The AAA 2012 Assassination Thread

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Jan Starsi was the Czechoslovakian National Team's coach in the mid-late 70s as they beat the USSR more often than they probably should. His teams played the Left Wing Lock. Is your team set up to play the LW lock? I'm honestly not sure why Jaroslav Pitner goes so far ahead of Starsi now (including by me!) One thing I noticed after drafting Pitner was that he was not in the IIHF Hall of Fame and Starsi was.

Bill Carson is one of the better offensive players at this level. Pominville brings a little of everything. Daze was huge, but was inconsistent at using his size. But then, you aren't exactly going to get a top notch power forward in the AAA draft. I like this line even if neither wing is really a star on his own.

Kaleta is described as a "magnificent playmaking left wing," and I guess Connelly is the guy he's feeding the puck to? Schock's offense is unimpressive for a scoring line, but his two-way game is nice.

I really like your third line and without putting much effort into comparisons, imagine that they are one of the better two-way lines in the draft. Miguay went way too high in the ATD not long ago, due to VI's pimping. I think this is a good place for him though. Dutch Hiller really shouldn't have fallen past the MLD.

I really like Fergus as a two-way player at this level (I've drafted him before) and his wingers seem like solid utility players. Definitely not a crash and bang 4th line though.

Solid first pairing brings a little of everything.

We almost drafted Kent Douglas as our #6 puck mover in the MLD, but went with Streit instead. I really like Douglas as an offensive defenseman in the MLD. Orlando is a nasty brusier who complements him well.

Cechmanek has to be one of the better regular season goalies here. I have recently been convinced on HOH that there really was a case for him to win the 2000-01 Vezina, and that's on top of his play in the Czech Elite League. But man, when Cechmanek had a bad game in the playoffs, things really fell apart for him. In case Forbes is needed, what's his playoff record look like?

IMO, Douglas is one of the best offensive defensemen at this level. Seems kind of a waste not to have him on your 1st PP. 1st PP is otherwise solid. I'd prefer someone better offensively than Schock to center the 2nd PP - didn't Kaleta play some C?

PK is fine.

Thanks for the review, TDMM. It appears I have underestimated Douglas's offensive ability. He is now on the first PP unit.

Budbuster

Oct 31, 2011
Regina, Sask
can anyone give me there thoughts on my line up (PK,PP, Top6, Top4)? Im on the edge on how to set up my 2nd and 4th lines I think my Def is pretty set,

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
can anyone give me there thoughts on my line up (PK,PP, Top6, Top4)? Im on the edge on how to set up my 2nd and 4th lines I think my Def is pretty set,

I think I am on board with your last move of selecting Samsonov and putting him up at LW on the 2nd line over Modin. He has much greater offensive potential. You lose a bit in intangibles, but at the same time, it's not like Modin was Ulf Dahlen either; he was just a big strong guy who'd bump a bit. I'm interested to hear what others think though.

Can Samsonov play the point on the PP? I don't recall that being among his abilities. I realize you tok three defensemen with little to no offensive skill, so that may necessitate a forward playing the point, but you may want to make it the 2nd unit and you may want to make it someone other than Samsonov (ideally a guy who has done it before, or at least a guy with some defensive skill and/or positional versatility)

Just noticed, your 15 forwards might be the most modern group I've ever seen! Hicke, Seiling, Olczyk, Buchberger, Sillinger are your five oldest forwards, in order. Yikes!

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I think I am on board with your last move of selecting Samsonov and putting him up at LW on the 2nd line over Modin. He has much greater offensive potential. You lose a bit in intangibles, but at the same time, it's not like Modin was Ulf Dahlen either; he was just a big strong guy who'd bump a bit. I'm interested to hear what others think though.

Can Samsonov play the point on the PP? I don't recall that being among his abilities. I realize you tok three defensemen with little to no offensive skill, so that may necessitate a forward playing the point, but you may want to make it the 2nd unit and you may want to make it someone other than Samsonov (ideally a guy who has done it before, or at least a guy with some defensive skill and/or positional versatility)

Just noticed, your 15 forwards might be the most modern group I've ever seen! Hicke, Seiling, Olczyk, Buchberger, Sillinger are your five oldest forwards, in order. Yikes!

I think its a wash when it comes to skills. Both are different players so it will come down to what the line needs. Speed or a big body.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Sorry I've been a little distant with this.

Does anyone have any opinion on whether I'd be better served putting Beadro on second line RW, or possibly bumping up Flett or Cleary to that spot, and moving Ysebaert to 3rd line centre (he has a legit resume as both a centre and a winger)?

As famous as Herb Carnegie is in hockey history circles, I still don't know what I have in him as a 3rd line centre or a player. Doesn't help that I haven't been down this far in an ATD before.

Budbuster

Oct 31, 2011
Regina, Sask

The age part should have nothing to do with anything. They were most likely the best or one of the best available at the time. I personally am more comfortable with modern players obviously.

Perhaps Plekanec on the point? I believe he may have spent some time there. Or Williams? If not it looks like Bufuglien might make his way into my line up. :amazed:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Options:

- If you feel confident that your 5 main D can handle bigger minutes, dress 5, scratch Buchberger and stuff Byfuglien into a uniform and throw him on the fourth line and one or both power plays (keep another d-man from logging an unnecessary shift, even an easy one). Or scratch another player and if you run into trouble, still run 5 D and 13F, Byfuglien can take a shift back there or didn't Buchberger play defense a couple shifts in the past? For some reason that sounds right...though it could have just as easily been made up. I say 13 and 5 because Byfuglien really is a liability defensively and I say that in no uncertain terms.

- I have seen Justin Williams play the point of the power play before. I don't believe it was very successful and I do believe it was short lived.

- Coaching adjustment: Not all power plays require 2 point men or 2 defensemen as point men. Nor do all power plays run through the top.

Budbuster

Oct 31, 2011
Regina, Sask
Options:

- If you feel confident that your 5 main D can handle bigger minutes, dress 5, scratch Buchberger and stuff Byfuglien into a uniform and throw him on the fourth line and one or both power plays (keep another d-man from logging an unnecessary shift, even an easy one). Or scratch another player and if you run into trouble, still run 5 D and 13F, Byfuglien can take a shift back there or didn't Buchberger play defense a couple shifts in the past? For some reason that sounds right...though it could have just as easily been made up. I say 13 and 5 because Byfuglien really is a liability defensively and I say that in no uncertain terms.

- I have seen Justin Williams play the point of the power play before. I don't believe it was very successful and I do believe it was short lived.

- Coaching adjustment: Not all power plays require 2 point men or 2 defensemen as point men. Nor do all power plays run through the top.

thing is though my pairing are pretty perfect. I feel my defense stands up pretty well against everyone in this draft scratching one might hurt my chem.

So hpw bout a lydman or Bufuglein in for a Lorimer. Then I have my 4 PP defense men while not losing any grit or stay at home abilities. Yay? nay?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
thing is though my pairing are pretty perfect. I feel my defense stands up pretty well against everyone in this draft scratching one might hurt my chem.

So hpw bout a lydman or Bufuglein in for a Lorimer. Then I have my 4 PP defense men while not losing any grit or stay at home abilities. Yay? nay?

Lydman is not a PP defenseman. Byfuglien, of course, is.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009

Does anyone have any opinion on whether I'd be better served putting Beadro on second line RW, or possibly bumping up Flett or Cleary to that spot, and moving Ysebaert to 3rd line centre (he has a legit resume as both a centre and a winger)?

As famous as Herb Carnegie is in hockey history circles, I still don't know what I have in him as a 3rd line centre or a player. Doesn't help that I haven't been down this far in an ATD before.

Going to bump this question I had about mine. I'll do up a comment or two on each team when I get home.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

It’s tough to get a read on Beaudro’s offensive abilities. Ysebaert as an offensive winger isn’t that attractive, and Cleary you know my thoughts on. Flett was, overall, not so great offensively, but at least he proved that he could explode for 40 goals in the right situation. I don’t know if that’s enough to conclude he has the best “peak†of those guys, but I might lean towards him.

I like Ysebaert better on the 3rd for sure. I remembered him more as a defensive type of guy.

Carnegie I posted about when you took him. It looks like he didn’t have what it took to be an NHL star, but could have probably played. So considering most of the players we drafted for this thing were solid, well above average NHL players he may be at a disadvantage compared to them. I know nothing about his suitability for 3rd/4th line roles, either.

He always ends up being a “token spare†because I don’t think anyone knows what to do with him, nor do we have a great read on how good he actually was.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Ok, these are my new forward lines, hopefully people see them in time for voting.

Nathan Horton - Greg Malone - Phil Kessel
Marco Sturm - Anatoli Semenov - Bill Flett
Bob Errey - Paul Ysebaert - Dan Cleary
Greg Gilbert - Randy Wood - Garry Howatt

I'm quite pleased with the balance in my top six and the overall look of the bottom six.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Ok, these are my new forward lines, hopefully people see them in time for voting.

Nathan Horton - Greg Malone - Phil Kessel
Marco Sturm - Anatoli Semenov - Bill Flett
Bob Errey - Paul Ysebaert - Dan Cleary
Greg Gilbert - Randy Wood - Garry Howatt

I'm quite pleased with the balance in my top six and the overall look of the bottom six.

Make sure you edit your post in the roster thread if you haven't already. That's what people look at when it comes time to vote.

It's definitely not too late; nobody has voted yet. Hopefully I'll get enough votes to be able to post results on Monday.

Rob Scuderi

Sep 3, 2009
Tarheel hope you don't me asking here, but are Drouin and Arvedson still on the bench? Your roster thread post had them in, and in this thread they're out. I'd definitely try to find a spot for them again, or they're real good looks for top spares. Ingarfield is another guy that feels overqualified as a spare here, not that I have anything to offer about who he'd supplant.

I'm also jealous of Ran McDonald after reading game reports for the 1918 Stanley Cup. He came in to replace an injured player during the second game and seems to have been Vancouver's third best player after MacKay and Taylor. They also mentioned his two-way game a few times so I'm really jealous he's just a bottom sixer for Hedberg.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00