Prospect Info: The 2023 Draft Thread

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
cut.jpg

The draft threads haven't been as bumping for the past seasons as the Oilers push to playoff relevance and seek to select 32nd overall. Nevertheless, HFOil has a nice collection of draft geeks and I wanted to get a thread up for the 2023 NHL Draft. IIRC, the last time the Oilers didn't pick in the 1st round of the draft was 2006 (Dwayne Roloson deadline acquisition).

What I know about the 2023 Draft is basically what I've read in the past few days, but let's see if we can cobble some storylines together.

• An unprecedented year that will have two huge hype tournaments in the 2022 Summer WJC in Edmonton and the 2023 WJC in Halifax & Moncton.

• This will go down as the other Connor's draft. Dare I say, not since the 2016 Matthews Draft, has there been a phenom prospect as hyped as Connor Bedard. Franchises will tear themselves down to put them in contention for Bedard.

• There are great consolation prizes though. IMO, there won't be a competition for 1st overall, but there could be for the second name called at this draft. Matvei Michkov is amazing, full stop. But the Russian factor and the KHL contract through 2026 might have teams concerned. If not the winger, will teams fawn over the 6'3 Canadian Adam Fantilli? Also heralded, will playing in a less competitive league hurt Fantilli's draft stock?

• The future of Slovak hockey continues to shine with Dalibor Dvorsky, who has projected to be a Top-5 pick this draft for a couple seasons.

• Ty Tullio's linemate Calum Ritchie (no relation) holds the crown as the best available OHL forward going into his draft year. He hit a bit of rookie wall midway through the season, but he'll look to continue building steam without the Ty Tullio engine on his line. Colby Barlow was another OHL rookie that accomplished the 30-goal rookie season feat.

• The WHL boasts some top end forwards in LW Zach Benson (no relation), C Brayden Yager, and C Nate Danielson

• On early projections, the top of the 2023 draft, and much of the 1st round, contain a bevy of quality forwards. I'll try not to drone on, but Charlie Stamel, Leo Carlsson, Quentin Musty, The Fresh Prince, Daniil But, Kasper Halttunen, and Matthew Wood are forwards to watch.

• Defensemen look to be a scarce commodity amongst the cream of the crop, but look for the Guelph Storm's Cam Allen and Theo Lindstein out of Brynäs IF. For those looking for the next offsenive dynamo, the 5'10 Russian LD Mikhail Gulyayev fits the bill. He's signed on with Avengard for 3 more season. Lukas Dragicevic plays for Tri-Cities and is a hard hitting RHD thats putting up points.

Last edited:

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Early mock top 5:

1. ARI- Bedard
2. SEA- Michkov
3. CHI- Fantilli
4. MTL- Dvorsky
5. NJD- Ciernik

And we finally don't have a first round pick because Katz rips the phone out of Holland's hands at the draft table and trades it himself for a player who can help us today. :nod:

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I’m one of the biggest fans of the draft and following bedard and michkov will be fun this season but I don’t see how the oilers don’t trade the first rounder this year at the deadline

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I'd like them to package the 1st and caphit contact for a good defenseman that can help us now.

But this is the Draft thread. If it doesn't add to draft discussion, it doesn't add to the discussion.

Reactions: ImmuneEH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad