Pre-Game Talk: The 2023-2024 Tampa Bay Lightning Training Camp

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
So has Tomkins outplayed Johansson in camp and pre-season?

Tomkins will make the team along with Johansson? If so who do you see winning that battle (assuming no G is claimed)?
johansson is probably supposed to be the starter but there’s still 3 games left so we should have a better idea soon. both have been good so far

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
johansson is probably supposed to be the starter but there’s still 3 games left so we should have a better idea soon. both have been good so far
JJ Frankie JJ for sure is going to be the "starter" for the beginning of the season. Unless he completely craps the bed, its his to lose. He will end up being Vasy's backup when Vasy returns too.

Reactions: ccman68

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Okay, sure. Doesn't change that at his stage of his career, imo I'd ask my agent to facilitate a trade or waive me if that's all my future was with current team. Rather than wasting another year, I would attempt to see what I could do elsewhere, contract or not. His play so far has been good enough to be better than the 13th F anyway though, so it shouldn't come to that.

He's had, at most 15 games in any one stint in the NHL over the past 4 years, hardly enough if a chance to establish anything. I know he won't sit for 82 games, but only getting another quarter of a season or so isn't ideal for a player in his position. If he plays well enough, he should get an actual chance to develop some chemistry and get reasonable playing time in tbe top 12. One game and a rookie camp hasn't been enough to promote Merela over him imo.
And why on earth would the Lightning grant him that? Again, he would have been a group 6 UFA by now if he hadn’t chosen to sign a three-year deal with Tampa. The Lightning gave him millions of dollars over three years in exchange for guaranteeing his services for that period; if he turns out to be their best option for the 13th forward spot they would be fools to weaken their team by letting him go right when they’re finally about to receive some small return on that investment.

As previously stated ABB has had multiple opportunities to earn himself a better role, both with the Lightning and with Seattle; he also willingly chose the security of a longer-term contract over the freedom of earlier UFA status. He will uphold his side of that deal by filling whatever role the Lightning need him to fill for this season, and then after that he is free to go to whatever team will take him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For all my negativity on ABB, it would be amazing if he turned into a real player for us. We've lost a lot of guys in 3 years. Need to get back to times where we had diamonds in the rough popping up all over the place.

The thing that bodes well for ABB is the NHL appears to be leaning more and more into an open offensive game in the regular season (not so much in the playoffs, but guys secure their jobs in the reg season). He doesn't even need to be a big scorer to be successful, really. If he can be a middle-six tweener, 40ish points? I'd enjoy the crow.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
JJ Frankie JJ for sure is going to be the "starter" for the beginning of the season. Unless he completely craps the bed, its his to lose. He will end up being Vasy's backup when Vasy returns too.
Really the opportunity of a lifetime for him. Hopefully we acquired him because we believe there's something to be unlocked, rather than, well, "he was there."

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Really the opportunity of a lifetime for him. Hopefully we acquired him because we believe there's something to be unlocked, rather than, well, "he was there."
What scares me is his early games, for some reason, I can't shake the feeling that he reminds me Lindback. Hopefully I am wrong.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
For all my negativity on ABB, it would be amazing if he turned into a real player for us. We've lost a lot of guys in 3 years. Need to get back to times where we had diamonds in the rough popping up all over the place.

The thing that bodes well for ABB is the NHL appears to be leaning more and more into an open offensive game in the regular season (not so much in the playoffs, but guys secure their jobs in the reg season). He doesn't even need to be a big scorer to be successful, really. If he can be a middle-six tweener, 40ish points? I'd enjoy the crow.

His footspeed doesn't nearly stand out as much as it did the other years, the guy beat Forsberg clean 2 games ago, not that Forsberg is a speedster but he's still a full time NHLer. The biggest thing that stands out about ABB to the other guys is his offensive ability to create, he has very good one touch passes to an open player, if you can put him with guys who can finish or get open he'll do fine.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
His footspeed doesn't nearly stand out as much as it did the other years, the guy beat Forsberg clean 2 games ago, not that Forsberg is a speedster but he's still a full time NHLer. The biggest thing that stands out about ABB to the other guys is his offensive ability to create, he has very good one touch passes to an open player, if you can put him with guys who can finish or get open he'll do fine.
I guess that's why they have been trying him with Stammer.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
idk why we even do these camps when cooper has already decided who is making the team before it even starts. we get it you want ABB on the roster. how about giving some young guys a chance with the big boys for even one game?

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Coop gonna Coop with Stamkos and Cirelli.
1696618251376.png

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Not sure how we will look but the forward group doesn't look as bad. I mean, sure it can be better but it's not horrid. Bottom six has a lot of potential. We know what the top six will be with 5/6 from last year. Only question mark is whoever plays on the 2nd line... will he help or neutralize it?

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
FWIW, I just read the NHL.com predictions. We are not predicted to do anything beyond making it as a wild card.

Good.

No pressure, no stress.

We get to play with house money now.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I guess Coop doesn't trust Stammer at all defensively that's the only explanation I got for his obsession for pairing Cirelli with him

Reactions: Renopucker

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Merela won't be sitting in the press box as an extra, so with his non-waiver status and ABB seemingly in the opening night plans, it appears as though the 13th forward spot will come down to Fortier vs Watson.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Merela won't be sitting in the press box as an extra, so with his non-waiver status and ABB seemingly in the opening night plans, it appears as though the 13th forward spot will come down to Fortier vs Watson.
We got enough small potatoes. I'll take the meat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad