GDT: The 2022 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As of now, something like $5.6m. Next season about 1.5

Where do you find that info? I tried CF but couldn't find it there. Maybe didn't look in the right place.

That is tough for Chi. Trying to clear cap for their rebuild.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Fair enough. He LOOKED better than his stats.
But he hasn't done it until he has done it. It isn't like he didn't have capable linemates.

Right now, I am a little concerned about his durability. His injury STILL isn't healed well enough to let him play in the WJC.

:laugh: Are you being sarcastic, or do you really not know what hindsight means?

It's not the injury keeping him out it's that they want him to train and be ready to sieze a spot in camp.

Reactions: NA Hockey

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You never watched Perfetti in the A then. If his team mates could score he likely has double his points. He really was putting it together last year.

Honestly watching him in the NHL if Dubois and Connor put the puck in the next with all the grade A chances he was setting up he likely has a dozen more points.

Don't stat line judge players with out long term eyetests

Yup Perfetti dominated the A to the tune of almost a ppg. A higher production rate then Conner despite playing with vastly inferior talent upfront.

He was top 3 in offensive chance generation in the league prior to leaving it for the WJHC.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The final my picks vs Jets picks.

Pick #14
My Pick: Jonathan Lekkerimaki - RW - 5'11 - 172 - Djurgårdens, SHL
Jets Pick: Rutger McGroarty - C/LW - 6'1 - 205 - U18, USDP

Pick #30
My Pick: Brad Lambert - C/RW - 6'0 - 183 - Lahti, Liiga
Jets Pick: Brad Lambert - C/RW - 6'0 - 183 - Lahti, Liiga

Pick #55
My Pick: Lane Hutson - LD - 5'8 - 160 - U18, USDP
Jets Pick: Elias Salomonsson - RD - 6'1 - 183 - Skellefteå, SHL U20

Pick #77
My Pick: Mats Lindgren - LD - 6'0 - 176 - Kamloops, WHL
Jets Pick: Danny Zhilkin - C - 6'0 - 196 - Guelph, OHL

Pick #99
My Pick: Simon Forsmark - LD - 6'2 - 194 - Örebro, SHL
Jets Pick: Garret Brown - RD - 6'2 - 178 - Sioux City, USHL

Pick #175
My Pick: Connor Kurth - RW - 5'11 - 207 - Dubuque, USHL
Jets Pick: Fabian Wagner - C - 5'11 - 170 - Linköping, SHL U20

Pick #207
My Pick: Jack Devine - RW - 5'11 - 176 - U18, USDP
Jets Pick: Dom DiVencentiis - G - 6'2 - 184 - North Bay, OHL

We'll see how they compare long term. Reminder that this is just BPA on my list, there were no picks where I factored in needs.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Overall a C+ draft for me. McGroarty just isn't as good as some of the players I was thinking may be available at 14 and a bit below what was left on the board.

Lambert is a good risk to take at 30, but is far from a sure thing to ever play in the NHL.

Salomonsson at 55 is another "could be good" player who may never turn into anything Even if he makes the NHL he's middle pair at best, more likely bottom pair. I'd prefer Hutson there, likely perceived as a bigger risk but at least shows star potential.

None of the players after that look like anything more that AHL players, but you never know sometimes players exceed expectation.

Reactions: rkp

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Overall a C+ draft for me. McGroarty just isn't as good as some of the players I was thinking may be available at 14 and a bit below what was left on the board.

Lambert is a good risk to take at 30, but is far from a sure thing to ever play in the NHL.

Salomonsson at 55 is another "could be good" player who may never turn into anything Even if he makes the NHL he's middle pair at best, more likely bottom pair. I'd prefer Hutson there, likely perceived as a bigger risk but at least shows star potential.

None of the players after that look like anything more that AHL players, but you never know sometimes players exceed expectation.
On the surface I would say our worst draft ever. Lambert has a chance to prove to be a steal, but that’s a big maybe.

However, this is a real tough draft to read. Hard to say who will emerge as real stars and who will disappoint. Even the big names weren’t really big names. Middle of the road draft for most teams.

Reactions: rkp

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Teams who I think drafted really well.

Montreal - Slaf, Mesar, Beck, Hutson, Engstrom
Zona - Cooley, Geekie, Duda, Lutz
Seattle - Wright, Firkus, Nyman, Goyette, Nelson
CBJ - Jiricek, Mateychuk, Del Bel Belluz, Dumais, Ivanov
Buffalo - Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, Lindgren, Komarov
Minny - Ohgren, Yurov, Haight, Lorenz
Washington - Miroshnichenko, Chesley, Persson, Hofer
Carolina - Trikozov, Perevalov, Forsmark, Lucius, Grudinin, Vondras
Winnipeg - McGroarty, Lambert, Salomonsson, Zhilkin, Wagner

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Teams who I think drafted really well.

Montreal - Slaf, Mesar, Beck, Hutson, Engstrom
Zona - Cooley, Geekie, Duda, Lutz
Seattle - Wright, Firkus, Nyman, Goyette, Nelson
CBJ - Jiricek, Mateychuk, Del Bel Belluz, Dumais, Ivanov
Buffalo - Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, Lindgren, Komarov
Minny - Ohgren, Yurov, Haight, Lorenz
Washington - Miroshnichenko, Chesley, Persson, Hofer
Carolina - Trikozov, Perevalov, Forsmark, Lucius, Grudinin, Vondras
Winnipeg - McGroarty, Lambert, Salomonsson, Zhilkin, Wagner
Washington got a steal because they know Ovie can get Putin to wave Miroschenko's military service...

Reactions: wraithsonwings

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
No, I don't think there were any really good D at 14, but then we didn't take a really good F at 14 either. Chesley and Luneau might project to 2nd pair, but possibly 1st depending on development.

On the right side D we have Gawanke and that's about it. I had hopes for Kovy as a solid 3rd pair guy but there is no sign that Jets are interested in him so far.

Even 2nd pair RHD are extremely hard to get in FA or trade. Or else Chevy is really dropping the ball. Our best RHD is a defence only guy who really should be on the 3rd pair on a good team.

Of course we can't know today who will be what in 3-5 years. But we have information on all of these guys. This is about how that information is being evaluated and analyzed.

After our pick at 55 it becomes extremely unlikely that any skater makes the NHL and if they do, they are depth players. There is nothing to lose by taking a goalie at 77, or at 99. Getting even an AHL goalie in the 6th or 7th rds, especially in a draft class weak at the position, is extremely unlikely - unless we could have still got Brennan there, but that boat sailed.
I agree there wasn't any real good D at 14. McGroarty wasn't my preferred pick but there's still a lot to like there IMO. At 30 I just love the shot going for Lambert. If they can get his head on straight it could be a slam duck. Yeah, it's a big if, but I like the risk. This pick was house money so may as well go with it, IMO. I wouldn't have been upset with one of those RHD either though, so I get your point. I just think guys like Chesley are potentially easier to find than at game-breaker like Lambert. If Lambert flames out then we look like morons, but I don't mind it. And I still think with the fallout from COVID that the rankings got mooshed and the guy we got at 55 could still end up being a player.

I would've been on-board with Brennan over Brown for sure. Not thrilled with the Brown pick but we'll see.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
On the surface I would say our worst draft ever. Lambert has a chance to prove to be a steal, but that’s a big maybe.

However, this is a real tough draft to read. Hard to say who will emerge as real stars and who will disappoint. Even the big names weren’t really big names. Middle of the road draft for most teams.

Surprising take as I think we came out of it with 4 of the top 50 players. Added a RHD to the stable with top 4 upside. If you look at Bob MacKenzies preseason rankings we have 4 of the top 20 players... obviously Lambert, Salomosson and Zhilkin are trending down but look for yourself:

He had Lambert at 3, McGroarty at 12, Salomonsson at 14 and then Zhilkin as one of four honourable mentions. I know that that was then and this is now, but I think this was a good draft for us and could be an amazing draft for us.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I agree it is a learnable skill and Perfetti has improved. But he never "shredded" the A, or anywhere close. And he wasn't exactly killing it with the Jets either.

I always wonder how it is possible for a player to have arrived at this point without having developed seriously good skating. They have all been in elite programs for 10 years or so, maybe longer. They all attend summer hockey camps that have skating coaches, etc.

The issue with Lambert is not about skill, it is attitude, on several levels.

We will have to disagree. I wstched every game Cole played last here and he was dominant in the A once he was up to speed and was heading that way in the show prior to his injury. Again, he was slowing down play and making all kinds of stuff happen via seeing-eye passes and sporting options no one else could.

And I guess I just don’t see the point of being discouraged this early into the process. We have some fresh, exciting prospects to watch now and I plan to enjoy tne ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: SLAYER

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I think Chevy added some interesting pieces for the future but then again I'm sure pretty well every fanbase is saying that today. Did he hit it out of the park in this draft probably not but if he gets 2-3 that could contribute in the future then I would consider the draft a success.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Look at this 2019 ranking of the 2022 draft class.
The Jets definitely targeted some players that haven’t quite lived up to their expectations from a few years ago.

1657318352901.jpeg

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
We will have to disagree. I wstched every game Cole played last here and he was dominant in the A once he was up to speed and was heading that way in tne show. Again, he was slowing down play and making all kinds of stuff happen via seeing-eye passes and sporting options no one else could.

I guess I just don’t see the point of being discouraged this early into the process. We have some exciting prospers to watch now and I plan to enjoy tne ride.
I also disagree. Perfetti set up quite a few Jets who simply weren’t expecting a pass to come so quickly. He was definitely dangerous out there. Maybe the numbers didn’t reflect that but he is on the cusp of being something very very good.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We will have to disagree. I wstched every game Cole played last here and he was dominant in the A once he was up to speed and was heading that way in tne show. Again, he was slowing down play and making all kinds of stuff happen via seeing-eye passes and sporting options no one else could.

I guess I just don’t see the point of being discouraged this early into the process. We have some exciting prospers to watch now and I plan to enjoy tne ride.

I also disagree. Perfetti set up quite a few Jets who simply weren’t expecting a pass to come so quickly. He was definitely dangerous out there. Maybe the numbers didn’t reflect that but he is on the cusp of being something very very good.

It's amazing how impatient people are. For reference:

Kyle Conner draft plus 2 season:

Winnipeg Jets: 20 gp 2g 3a 5p .25 ppg
Moose 52 gp 25g 19a 43p 0.83 ppg

Perfetti draft plus 2:

Winnipeg Jets: 18 gp 2g 5a 7p .39 ppg
Moose 17 gp 6g 9a 15p .88 ppg

He's tracking ahead of Conner at the same stage in his development in terms of production and is also a much better all around player at the same stage in development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad